Klein Q Pro Carbon

SCBiker

Jul 28, 2003
Looking to replace my aging Cannondale CAAD 3. A good bike climbs great and very resposive, but a very hard ride. I want an Ultegra group set for under $3000. I have been looking closely at the Klein Q Pro Carbon. Aluminum frame with carbon seat stays and weighing in at just 16.4 lbs.

Is this weight at the cost of strength? I'm interested to hear from anybody who has this bike how they like it and what dislikes they have. Also recommendations for other bikes.
Jon

I have a 2002 Klein Q-Pro Carbon (with 24hr Antifreeze paint). It has all Record components except a Racing-T triple F/R derailleur. Rolf Vector Pro wheels with Rolf hubs make for a much stiffer ride than my Mavic Open Pro CD backup wheelset. After 4500 miles w/o any (not even one) mechanical problems, I am quite happy I chose Klein. With the carbon fork and seatstays, the ride almost matches my steel framed bike (1984 Centurion Comp T/A upgraded to 2003 Centaur, with campy Protons and Michelin Pro Race). On the Klein, if I do anything in the future, I may change the Thomson Stem, handlebars, and seatpost, to Easton carbon. Any comments about whether more carbon will make the ride even smoother?

Originally posted by rousslang
I have a 2002 Klein Q-Pro Carbon (with 24hr Antifreeze paint). It has all Record components except a Racing-T triple F/R derailleur. Rolf Vector Pro wheels with Rolf hubs make for a much stiffer ride than my Mavic Open Pro CD backup wheelset. After 4500 miles w/o any (not even one) mechanical problems, I am quite happy I chose Klein. With the carbon fork and seatstays, the ride almost matches my steel framed bike (1984 Centurion Comp T/A upgraded to 2003 Centaur, with campy Protons and Michelin Pro Race). On the Klein, if I do anything in the future, I may change the Thomson Stem, handlebars, and seatpost, to Easton carbon. Any comments about whether more carbon will make the ride even smoother?
I wouldn't waste the money.Why not just buy an all CF frame to start with?

Originally posted by rousslang
Cool bike, Rousslang. The Thompson stuff is rock solid but I know more than one rider who recently swicthed from a Thompson post and an alloy bar to Easton carbon for each, and was very happy with the change in road feel.

I've actually got an '04 Klein Pro on the way! Counting the days...

Got an 03 Q Pro Carbon Team, full Dura Ace and Ksyrium Elites. The carbon seat stay gives a very nice ride. 100% satisfied. Not a cheap bike for those on a budget.

Originally posted by SCBiker
Looking to replace my aging Cannondale CAAD 3. A good bike climbs great and very resposive, but a very hard ride. I want an Ultegra group set for under $3000. I have been looking closely at the Klein Q Pro Carbon. Aluminum frame with carbon seat stays and weighing in at just 16.4 lbs.

Is this weight at the cost of strength? I'm interested to hear from anybody who has this bike how they like it and what dislikes they have. Also recommendations for other bikes.
Jon

BUY THIS BIKE. I spent 6 months researching the Q PRO CARBON, and i have no regrets. I got mine in late sept. It will blow you away the way it rides and behaves and LOOKS. Read my review on road bike review .com 2003 klein road bikes under the name har. The bike is unbeliable. Write if u need more info, or let me know ur decision. Sorry i didnt see earlier.

Check around for a leftover 2003. I was in a LBS recently and saw one outfitted with full Ultegra and Racelites for $2200 which is a super price.

Originally posted by capwater
Check around for a leftover 2003. I was in a LBS recently and saw one outfitted with full Ultegra and Racelites for $2200 which is a super price.

i just bought a brand spanking new 2003 pointsettia red frame for £700. wot a bargin? Its the most beautiful thing i have ever seen. im thinking i should just frame it on my wall now instead of dressing it in record and riding it!

Q Carbon Pro rox!