Klein Quantum - fork replace

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NOSPAM, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. NOSPAM

    NOSPAM Guest

    I have a 54 Klein Quantum Race (2002 model) and I'm considering replacing the OEM fork. Has anyone
    else done this yet, if so did it impact the ride? Also, what fork rake did you use for a given
    size frame? Klein doesn't have this available on their website except for 2003 models which are
    not the same.

    --
    -------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ -------------------- Usenet Newsgroup Service New Rate!
    $9.95/Month 50GB

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I have a 54 Klein Quantum Race (2002 model) and I'm considering replacing the OEM fork. Has anyone
    > else done this yet, if so did it impact the
    ride?
    > Also, what fork rake did you use for a given size frame? Klein doesn't have this available on
    > their website except for 2003 models which are not the same.

    I put a Kinesis Carbon Wedge on my '96 Quantum and it did seemingly dampen the hardest hits a bit -
    might have been a tad less air in the front tire though....

    Seriously, it's a nice fork and had a bit less flex then the stock aluminum when standing and
    hammering., so in that respect it was a decent trade up. I believe the Kineses has a bit more rake
    at 43, then the original at 41 or so. It was never an issue with handling.

    The Kinises is for sale - cheap actually, 1" threaded though. Used 2 seasons, but very few miles in
    those years. I recently traded up under a warrenty replacement for a Lemond Ti that came with a very
    nice Bontrager carbon fork, thus the Kinesis is sitting unused in my basement as it seems silly to
    put it on my Heron Road.

    Steve Bailey

  3. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    I saw a Klein on e-Bay where the guy had swapped out the fork. I think it was a 1999 Quantum Pro and it originally had the 1-1/16" steerer but the guy had swapped out the bearings and put on an Ouzo Comp with a 1-1/8" steerer so it is possible but I don't know how he did it.

    Have you asked Klein Tech Support? It would be interesting to hear what they say about this and whether or not they're going to be supporting the older odd-ball size stuff.

  4. > I have a 54 Klein Quantum Race (2002 model) and I'm considering replacing the OEM fork. Has anyone
    > else done this yet, if so did it impact the
    ride?
    > Also, what fork rake did you use for a given size frame? Klein doesn't have this available on
    > their website except for 2003 models which are not the same.

    The '02 Quantum Race uses a conventional 1 1/8" threadless fork. Not sure you'll see much change in
    ride characteristics, as the stock fork is pretty nice. You might drop some weight if you go to a
    fork with carbon fiber steer tube, but keep in mind you have to be much more careful about
    tightening the stem. I'm not at the shop right now so I don't have a 2002 Klein catalog handy to get
    the fork rake from, but my guess is that you can't go too far wrong if you go for 43mm.

  5. NOSPAM

    NOSPAM Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I have a 54 Klein Quantum Race (2002 model) and I'm considering replacing the OEM fork. Has
    > > anyone else done this yet, if so did it impact the
    > ride?
    > > Also, what fork rake did you use for a given size frame? Klein doesn't have this available on
    > > their website except for 2003 models which are not the same.
    >
    > The '02 Quantum Race uses a conventional 1 1/8" threadless fork. Not sure you'll see much change
    > in ride characteristics, as the stock fork is pretty nice. You might drop some weight if you go to
    > a fork with carbon fiber steer tube, but keep in mind you have to be much more careful about
    > tightening the stem. I'm not at the shop right now so I don't have a 2002 Klein catalog handy to
    > get the fork rake from, but my guess is that you can't go too far wrong if you go for 43mm.

    I wrote Klein and they said the appropriate rake was 47mm. Anyone ever hear of a 47mm aftermarket
    fork? Look has a 45, most of the rest are 43.