Klein Road bikes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tt66, Aug 22, 2003.

1. tt66

tt66 New Member

Hi all,
    I am looking for a new road bike. Test road a Klein Q-Carbon Team. Also going to try a Klein Q-Pro Carbon.
    Anyone with any experience on the Klein roadies to offer a humble opinion or two???
    Thanks,
    Tall Tom

Tags:

2. gamecock83

gamecock83 New Member

I purchased the Klein Q-Carbon Team on 6/13/03. Previous to that, I had not ridden since 1987. I've put 700+ miles on the Klein with no problems except back and neck pain. But that was fixed with higher handlebars.

I love the bike! It's responsive and handles well. I'm not a racer nor do I hope to be. However, I no longer get dropped from club rides and regularly pass riders on hills that used to drop me!

Also the bike gets compliments anywhere I go.

Gamecock83

3. vadimivich

vadimivich New Member

I have a 2001 Quantum frameset built with Campy Chorus / Record - and I absolutely love the bike.

It's stiff, fast, fast, fast, handles like a champ and climbs like an ape with it's tail on fire. Did I mention fast? Plus, no matter where you go it turns heads, Klein is second to none on the quality and attention to their finishes. I have ridden the new carbon framesets and the slightly plusher rear end is a nice addition, though I have little complaint about mine.

You can always get a Project One frameset now too, in the color and exact specs that you want - my next bike will probably be a Q-Carbon Pro frameset through that program. Good luck - and if you get one, welcome to a somewhat exclusive club~

4. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

I was looking at the Q-Carbon Team, but it discouraged me to fine out that it only comes in a compact frame.

One nice feature is the personal statement, adding your name, your team name or your club name to your top tube.

5. tt66

tt66 New Member

Thanks for the input so far.
    My impressions of the Q-Carbon Team has been exactly that of vadimivich above. Fast, fast, fast. It's like the bike is begging to be driven as hard as you can. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a Q-Pro Carbon in my size to compare with.
    East Coast, I'd be curious why the compact frame discouraged you. I am 6'6" and tested a 61cm with extended seat post and raised front bars and it performed very well.
    Also, anyone hear anything on the 2004s?
    Thanks,
    Tall Tom

6. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

It's really just a personal thing with the compact frames that turn me off. I just prefer traditional frames.

What gets me is why the Q-Pro Carbon is a traditional frame and the Q-Carbon is compact? Not much flexibility? Shame, that I need to spend 4K to get a tradional frame from Klein.

But it's one hot looking bike!

Enjoy!

7. tt66

tt66 New Member

Hmmm,
    Last time I looked the Q Carbon was priced at $2,300. Only the Q Carbon Team exceeds $3k. Both have the traditional frame. I suppose you really want the Dura Ace stuff. To each his own.
    I think I will be ordering a 2004 Aura VX (the old Q Carbon Team) this week. Same price as 2003, new blue color and all Ultegra comp. No 105 bottom bracket.

Tom

8. gamecock83

gamecock83 New Member

tt66,

Where did you get info on the 2004's?

(I think I will be ordering a 2004 Aura VX (the old Q Carbon Team) this week. Same price as 2003, new blue color and all Ultegra comp. No 105 bottom bracket.)

Thanx,

9. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

All Q Carbon bikes (Race or Team) are compact frames, not traditional, costing ($2,100+)

It's the Q Pro Carbon bikes that are traditional frames costing almost 4K ($3,900+).

10. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

The Q-Carbons are compact frames and have a generic sort of carbon fork and Bontrager Select wheels. Ultegra version (Q-Carbon Team) is about $1900.

The Q-Pro Carbons are horizontal top tubes and have the Klein Aeros forks (very nice) and Bontrager Race Lite wheels. Ultegra version (Q-Pro Carbon) is about $2300.

Both good bikes I think, but the Q-Pro looks like it's definitely worth the extra $400.

I've got a '98 Quantum Pro (full aluminum rear end) that is quite possibly the perfect bike. Recently I had a chance to compare the ride with my buddy's Trek 5200 and what I noticed is that the Klein steering is quite a bit faster. I'm not sure what geometric quality gives it this difference, but you know when you're out of the saddle and rocking the bike with each stroke and you compensate for the rocking by countersteering? That's where the difference is really noticeable; when we swapped bikes I said "man, this steering is sluggish" and my buddy said about my Klein "holy crap this steering is twitchy". Well the Klein steering is not twitchy (I can ride no hands at least as well as he can), but it does react very quickly. The point is you get used to how a certain bike handles and then everything else feels wrong. If you test ride a Klein and think the steering is too twitchy don't let that dissuade you… it's a great handling bike.

11. tt66

tt66 New Member

One of the guys from my LBS (www.freewheel.com) just came back from the big Trek pow-wow in Wisconsin. I talked to him Sunday and he had the Klein 2004 catalog with him. So I saw the bike in picture and he told me what he knew of significant changes.

12. tt66

tt66 New Member

East Coast, my apologies. I meant to say Q-Pro Carbon. I saw several Q-Pro Carbons for sale at $2150 at my LBS. And, as has already been mentioned, only the Q-Pro Carbon TEAM exceeds the $3k barrier.
    If I had been able to test ride and adequately sized Pro, I may have considered it, but I was also trying to stay below $2k.