Klein vs Tourmalet

Chef151

May 16, 2010
I have been bitten by the road bike bug and have decided to pick one up.
At first I was looking at new bikes, but i want a 105 setup/carbon fork minimum, and with accessories I was looking at $1500+ which was more than I wanted to spend.

I have been tirelessly following ebay and craigslist for some deals and here are the two that I like the most, what do you guys think:

First:
2001(or 2002) Lemond -$650
Clip pedals included.

Frame: Aluminum
Fork: Lemond Carbon Fiber
Components: Shimano 105 HollowTech
Brakeset: Shimano: Flight Deck 105
Shifters: Flight Deck 105
Front/Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Pedals: Shimano R540 clip on
SeatPost: Lemond aluminum
Saddle: Trek Ergo Gel
Drop Handlebar: 3T
Stem: 3T THE
Rims: Bontrager Select
Hubs: Bontrager
Tires: Bontrager lite
Speed Computer: CatEye
Innovations CO2 pump

The only thing that worries me with the lemond is that it spent a couple years in storage. Owner said it rides great, however, and I am lobbying to meet him for the sale at a LBS for a quick once over before I buy.

Second choice: 2003 or 2004 Klein Q Carbon Race $500
Comes with a schwinn computer and shimano SPD pedals. will need a new front tire shortly.
carbon fork
carbon rear triangle
shimano 105 components
flight deck shifters
Chameleon Green and Purple paint job

Owner is happy to meet at a LBS to check the bike before the transaction.

I've hear great things about both bikes, but haven't ridden either, and may not get to before I buy since they are each 2.5 hrs away in different directions. I will be using the bike for rides with a buddy, to get in shape and just as a new hobby. I don't have any plans to race anytime soon, and if I do I'll most likely upgrade bikes if and when that time comes.

Thanks so much for any help!

Chef, In a word Klein.

Not that I've tried the Lemond but I d have a 2000 Klein Quantum, running 105 with carbon forks. It's a fast, comfortable and beautiful bike and will never part with it. My new ride is a Cervelo Soloist which is a completely different beast.

4530545069_3674eb37cc.jpg

That is the way I'm leaning. Both bikes will need new tires in the fairly new future, and they are within about $50 of each other. The Klein seems to have quite a cult following, and I'm guessing it's not just the awesome paint scheme.
My only worry was that in a couple threads people said the Klein was extremely stiff and definitely a racing bike. I just want to make sure that it's comfortable as I don't want to be beaten up too badly by my first bike. :D
That Rolf wheel setup is sharp looking. Which model are those?

Id love to hear from anybody else who has ridden either bike. Thanks!

Yep it's stiff but I can't say it's ever been a problem.

When I got the bike in 2001 I was migrating from a standard 10 speed Raleigh and it was like moving from a family car to a sports car. Yes, the Klein is stiffer but I would expect it to be yet it still felt comfortable and oh so fast.

As for the wheels I love them. Rolf Vector, 20-hole/24-hole. I wanted a pair for my Cervelo but there are no UK dealers.

Chef151 said:
That is the way I'm leaning. Both bikes will need new tires in the fairly new future, and they are within about $50 of each other. The Klein seems to have quite a cult following, and I'm guessing it's not just the awesome paint scheme.
My only worry was that in a couple threads people said the Klein was extremely stiff and definitely a racing bike. I just want to make sure that it's comfortable as I don't want to be beaten up too badly by my first bike. :D
That Rolf wheel setup is sharp looking. Which model are those?

Id love to hear from anybody else who has ridden either bike. Thanks!
I have ridden neither, but I would also choose the KLEIN.

FYI. Back in the day, while the paired spoke wheels were labeled as being ROLF, there were two models for the two versions (i.e., Road + MTB) -- basically, 'good' & 'better' ... they actually had names which I forget except for "Satellite" for the lesser of the Rolf MTB wheels.

Bikes with 105 groups probably had the 'good' wheels. The primary difference was in the hubs, with the better wheels apparently having the equivalent of HUGI 240 (now, DT 240) hubs (one of the best hubs you can buy/use). The 'good' hubs were apparently the equivalent of the DT ONYX hub (a pretty good hub). There is a decal on the wheel which will indicate the model.

BTW. Using fatter tires with less air pressure (either 700x28 or 700x25 with between 95PSI & 105PSI) is generally a good way to ensure that the ride isn't harsher than it needs to be.

I always had a best ride with klein. I think they are super bikes and their frame is much better than anything else. I bought Klein Qcarbon in last summer which is set up with ultegra rear and 105 and it rides amazing. This bike really fits perfect to me.

Ken-

Yeah, the one I'm looking at is the exact same setup, ultegra rear derailer and 105 everything else.

What wheels/tires do you have on yours? And do you know what exact model year you have?

I'm just waiting for a second set of pics from the owner since the ones in the listing are so small. Hopefully it all works out and i will pick it up early next week!

Just picked up the Klein!
The bike shop we met at said the bike was really in good shape and doesn't need a tune up for a few more months. After the previous owner left, the guys all told me I got a great deal on the bike.
Cosmetically, the bike is probably a 7.5/10, with some signs of wear on the components and some nicks on the frame, but what a cool looking ride! This will be perfect for my first bike and I won't be afraid of it getting it's first scratch.

I've only taken a short ride around my block so far, but this thing is FAST, and the carbon rear seemed to do a great job of absorbing road bumps. I have a fitting schedule this week, and will clean it up, change the handlebar tape and post some pics :)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Cheers!

Congratulations Chef151, you won't regret it it's a great choice. You'll have to post some pics.

Here are a few pics :)

I couldn't be happier with the bike!
It's very fast and stiff but still rides beautifully. I'm a brand new rider, but I've put about 60 miles on it in the past 5 days. I had a fitting in the middle of the week and the bike now feels even better.
I got it for $500 even with the computer, pedals and a pair of gel gloves,
I pick up a bell helmet, shimano road shoes(which are great) and a few jerseys and a bontager bibb ($55!), so I'm in for just under $1000 with the fitting which I'm thrilled with.
The pics:

b5a61646.jpg

885eab53.jpg

240a42e1.jpg

f4d890d7.jpg

[
b6f9b808.jpg

fc256268.jpg