Klein vs. Trek Road Bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    In my search for a new road bike, multiple shops keep pushing Klein over their Trek models. Are the
    Klein's that much better (I've read a little about their manufacturing, etc) in composition, design,
    etc. than Trek? I know that they are using the compact geometry design which one shop thought would
    help with my lack of flexibility and reach for the handlebars....

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 11 Feb 2004 09:08:41 -0800, [email protected] (Mike) wrote:
    >In my search for a new road bike, multiple shops keep pushing Klein over their Trek models.

    You have multiple shops selling the same two brands? Around here, everybody sells Trek, and some
    also sell one or two other brands, but not the same ones.

    >Are the Klein's that much better (I've read a little about their manufacturing, etc) in
    >composition, design, etc. than Trek?

    Could be the toyota factor -- trek-oyota, as it were. Very common, well made, and unexciting to
    many. I had to buy my road bike outside of the LBS where I prefer to spend my money, because he
    didn't offer anything other than Trek for less than $3000, and the Treks he had just didn't make me
    want to spend a thousand dollars.

    If you're excited by Trek bikes, however, then by all means, they're worth your money. The bike that
    doesn't excite you doesn't get ridden...

    >I know that they are using the compact geometry design which one shop thought would help with my
    >lack of flexibility and reach for the handlebars....

    A compact, or a regular frame in a too-small size, I suppose either would work. The same stems and
    seatposts that fit compacts fit standard frames.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Mike) wrote in news:dc53077a.0402110908.67d69667
    @posting.google.com:
    > In my search for a new road bike, multiple shops keep pushing Klein over their Trek models. Are
    > the Klein's that much better (I've read a little about their manufacturing, etc) in composition,
    > design, etc. than Trek?

    Klein is made by Trek so you're not going to see a big difference in value. For the same price,
    Kleins generally have slightly nicer frames and slightly poorer components. The ride can be a little
    stiffer, which some people like and others don't. Take some test rides. Buy what fits you the best
    and gives you a ride you like.

  4. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >Klein is made by Trek so you're not going to see a big difference in value.

    IIRC, the lower end Kleins are built in Waterloo, WI (Trek), while the high end stuff is still built
    at the Klein factory.

    Chris Neary [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
    elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  5. Rocketman

    Rocketman Guest

    "Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Klein is made by Trek so you're not going to see a big difference in
    value.

    > IIRC, the lower end Kleins are built in Waterloo, WI (Trek), while the
    high
    > end stuff is still built at the Klein factory.

    There is no more Klein factory in Washington. It has been closed and the tools and fixtures
    auctioned off. Sorry to be the one to tell you. It took a while for me to get used to it. All Kleins
    are made by Trek now (not sure if they're even made in Wisconsin anymore...)

    Rocketman 2001 Klein Attitude Race, Aztec Gold

  6. > There is no more Klein factory in Washington. It has been closed and the tools and fixtures
    > auctioned off. Sorry to be the one to tell you. It took
    > while for me to get used to it. All Kleins are made by Trek now (not sure if they're even made in
    > Wisconsin anymore...)

    Correct, the Klein equipment was largely moved to WI (some of it was auctioned off as you mentioned)
    and production set up there. They basically set up a factory within a factory, and it took
    considerably longer than expected to get things going. Kleins were not, and are not built in the
    same manner as their cousins.

    This year's Kleins, I'm willing to say, are at least the quality of what came out of Chehalis, if
    not better. Graphics & paint are dialed, weld quality and straightness of tubes perfect. It didn't
    happen overnight, but the current product is the best I've seen with the Klein name attached to it.

    "Rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s54...
    > "Chris Neary" <[email protected] > wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >Klein is made by Trek so you're not going to see a big difference in
    > value.
    > >
    > > IIRC, the lower end Kleins are built in Waterloo, WI (Trek), while the
    > high
    > > end stuff is still built at the Klein factory.
    >
    > There is no more Klein factory in Washington. It has been closed and the tools and fixtures
    > auctioned off. Sorry to be the one to tell you. It took
    > while for me to get used to it. All Kleins are made by Trek now (not sure if they're even made in
    > Wisconsin anymore...)
    >
    > Rocketman 2001 Klein Attitude Race, Aztec Gold

  7. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >> IIRC, the lower end Kleins are built in Waterloo, WI (Trek), while the high end stuff is still
    >> built at the Klein factory.
    >
    >There is no more Klein factory in Washington. It has been closed and the tools and fixtures
    >auctioned off. Sorry to be the one to tell you. It took a while for me to get used to it. All
    >Kleins are made by Trek now (not sure if they're even made in Wisconsin anymore...)

    Thanks for the update, my aging memory was probably thinking back to an earlier point in the
    assimilation of Klein by Trek.

    Chris Neary [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the
    elements I loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  8. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003