Klodi signs for Asanta

foxvi

Aug 23, 2004
Wow - just read Klodi will sign for Asanta next season on radsport-activ.de.

Amazing as I thought Vino and Klodi did not get on especially after the 2005 TdF. Interesting to see who will be tour leader 2007 - cant see Vino not wanting to be leader? Strange signing I must say. Kessler and Wessman still not received a contract offer from TMO on same website.

foxvi said:

Amazing as I thought Vino and Klodi did not get on especially after the 2005 TdF. Interesting to see who will be tour leader 2007 - cant see Vino not wanting to be leader? Strange signing I must say. Kessler and Wessman still not received a contract offer from TMO on same website.
I thought about that possibillity, Kessler is in talks with Astana as well and they bith didn't forgive TM for suspending Ullrich

I think Kessler will wait for Ullrich and see where he ends up next year. But Klodi and Vino still cant get over it!

Radsportnews.com says that Kessler is going to Astana as well -- who leads at the Tour de France if Vino, Kloeden and Ullrich are all at Astana next year?

Rast (Phonak) and Haselbacher (Gerolsteiner) have also signed two year contracts with Astana.

http://www.nachrichten.ch/detail/250395.htm

cyclingheroes said:
I thought about that possibillity, Kessler is in talks with Astana as well and they bith didn't forgive TM for suspending Ullrich

foxvi said:

Everything is O.K. in this thread except title - it's Astana not Asanta, or I'm wrong... Maybe it's name of new team where Klodi, Ulle and co. will ride:)

JohnO said:
So who will lead Astana? Vino or Klodi?
Can't see Vino playing second fiddle to anyone. I'm very surprised Klodi has gone to Astana given that it's Vino's team and he is the main man there. Is Astana's future secure even?

alibat said:
Can't see Vino playing second fiddle to anyone. I'm very surprised Klodi has gone to Astana given that it's Vino's team and he is the main man there. Is Astana's future secure even?
I think the future of Astana is secure, the UCI can't afford to throw a team with Vino and Klöden out. They have enough other problems..

cyclingheroes said:
I think the future of Astana is secure, the UCI can't afford to throw a team with Vino and Klöden out. They have enough other problems..
That may be their tactic (and a good one at that), to stack their team with enough talent and big names that they can't be ignored by UCI/Protour.

discobean7 said:
That may be their tactic (and a good one at that), to stack their team with enough talent and big names that they can't be ignored by UCI/Protour.
Kazakisthan as enough oil to support that?:)

Kazakisthan
Man, you are legend:D
as enough oil to support that?:)
They have what ever you want... Oil, iron as well as all other kinds of metals (including "colored" ones), coal, textile, agriculture... It's one of three richest republics of former USSR. Just think of Abramovich and Chelsea and how many those kind of guys made fortune during "transition" in USSR. Cycling team is peanuts.

Wow, all I can say is that I am really disappointed :confused: I could accept his GC sacrifice for Ulle, but for Vino? :mad: What a bummer... now he will probably never realize his full potential at the big race.

Is there any chance he could change his mind?

Klodifan said:
Wow, all I can say is that I am really disappointed :confused: I could accept his GC sacrifice for Ulle, but for Vino? :mad: What a bummer... now he will probably never realize his full potential at the big race.

Is there any chance he could change his mind?

Seems a bit odd, doesn't it? As sterling a performance as he turned in this year at the Tour, one would think any number of teams would love to have him in a lead role.

discobean7 said:
yeah that's the only thing i can think of. otherwise it's kind of stupid hiring an arguably stronger GC man to ride support in the grand tours. you know there's know way vino is going to support kloden.

foxvi said:

We're not the only ones surprised. From Cyclingnews.com 27 August:
Walter Godefroot, former Telekom/T-Mobile team manager and now an advisor to Team Astana, showed himself surprised at the signing. "I am really very surprised," he said. "Klöden will surely not be captain at Astana in any case, because this role clearly belongs to Alexandre Vinokourov."

From the T-Mobile management set-up in the same article:
Christian Frommert, director of sports communications for T-Mobile International, the team sponsor, commented, "In this difficult time for cycling, we offered Andreas Klöden a prominent and responsible position. We accept that he apparently cannot or will not take it. Considering those circumstances, the decision to separate is surely better for both sides."
Rolf Aldag, ex-rider and soon-to-be directeur sportif, also noted that Klöden had decided against the role of captain and for the role of a helper. "Andreas - whom we thank for his work in the past as a loyal helper - would have been the head of our team as captain. A leading figure for the younger riders." Now it will be up to others to fill that role, he noted. "We will have a strong team next year, that will fullfill our expectations not just on the bike."

I wasn't surprised at all, i would have been surprised when he stayed..

Coppifan said:
We're not the only ones surprised. From Cyclingnews.com 27 August:
Walter Godefroot, former Telekom/T-Mobile team manager and now an advisor to Team Astana, showed himself surprised at the signing. "I am really very surprised," he said. "Klöden will surely not be captain at Astana in any case, because this role clearly belongs to Alexandre Vinokourov."

From the T-Mobile management set-up in the same article:
Christian Frommert, director of sports communications for T-Mobile International, the team sponsor, commented, "In this difficult time for cycling, we offered Andreas Klöden a prominent and responsible position. We accept that he apparently cannot or will not take it. Considering those circumstances, the decision to separate is surely better for both sides."
Rolf Aldag, ex-rider and soon-to-be directeur sportif, also noted that Klöden had decided against the role of captain and for the role of a helper. "Andreas - whom we thank for his work in the past as a loyal helper - would have been the head of our team as captain. A leading figure for the younger riders." Now it will be up to others to fill that role, he noted. "We will have a strong team next year, that will fullfill our expectations not just on the bike."