KMC 10-speed quick link reusable?

John Forrest Tomlinson

Guest
Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?
--
JT
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
> can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?

We use a lot of these and although mfr says "one time use" we have
ignored that with impunity for years.
Seems to be a "CYA" statement from the legal department. Also no "11t"
problems as in the otherwise-nice Wippermann link.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

> Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
> can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?
> --
> JT
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

I reuse them and so do others, but I've been told that KMC says not to.

I think I have figured out that a click I am dealing with is related to a
new KMC DX-10S link. I have a feeling that there is a right side up to the
thing.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:49:00 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
>can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?

KMC's US marketer's information says "no", but I've noticed that the
information published in other countries about the same product does
not appear echo that restriction; it looks like a case of combined
maximization of profit and CYA in one move.

I will note, however, that some of the earlier KMC snaplinks had nasty
little nubs on the insides of the plates which made them harder than
usual to unsnap. I think it's possible that those were intentionally
designed to be as unremovable as possible, and that the feature may
account for the published one-use policy. If questioned, I will deny
that I filed the nubs off of the ones that I've been re-using myself.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
>> can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?

> We use a lot of these and although mfr says "one time use" we have
> ignored that with impunity for years.
> Seems to be a "CYA" statement from the legal department. Also no "11t"
> problems as in the otherwise-nice Wippermann link.

What "11t" problems?

Bill Westphal

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
> can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?

The KMC X-10.93 I bought here in the UK contains a leaflet in the box that
explicitly says the 10 speed missing link is re-usable.

Bill Westphal wrote:
> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >> Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
> >> can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?

> > We use a lot of these and although mfr says "one time use" we have
> > ignored that with impunity for years.
> > Seems to be a "CYA" statement from the legal department. Also no "11t"
> > problems as in the otherwise-nice Wippermann link.
> >

> What "11t" problems?
>

> Bill Westphal

Wipperman has an up and down, with regards to 11t. Gentle 'arc' of the
link towards the cogs..for no skip.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:49:00 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
> <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >Is the quick link on a KMC DX-10S 10-speed chain reusable -- that is
> >can I repeatedly use it to remove/reinstall the chain for cleaning?

> KMC's US marketer's information says "no", but I've noticed that the
> information published in other countries about the same product does
> not appear echo that restriction; it looks like a case of combined
> maximization of profit and CYA in one move.
>
> I will note, however, that some of the earlier KMC snaplinks had nasty
> little nubs on the insides of the plates which made them harder than
> usual to unsnap. I think it's possible that those were intentionally
> designed to be as unremovable as possible, and that the feature may
> account for the published one-use policy. If questioned, I will deny
> that I filed the nubs off of the ones that I've been re-using myself.

The 9 speed KMC chains have these nubs on the quick link. At least my
9 speed Nashbar brand chain made by KMC with KMC on all of the links
quick link has these nubs. I have not yet ground them off but its good
to know I can. I am using some extra SRAM quick links on the KMC chain
for now.

Bill Westphal wrote:
> What "11t" problems?

We don't use their link with 11t cogs as they do not conform to the
small radius well and may unclip if the thing 'hangs up' while
backpedaling ( rider reports - I couldn't force that result)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:22:27 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:
>> I <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> We use a lot of these and although mfr says "one time use" we have
>>> ignored that with impunity for years.
>>> Seems to be a "CYA" statement from the legal department. Also no "11t"
>>> problems as in the otherwise-nice Wippermann link.

>Bill Westphal wrote:
>> What "11t" problems?

>We don't use their link with 11t cogs as they do not conform to the
>small radius well and may unclip if the thing 'hangs up' while
>backpedaling ( rider reports - I couldn't force that result)

Can you use them with 9 tooth derailer pulleys?

Email address works as is.

JT: KMC snaplinks?

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> Can you use them with 9 tooth derailer pulleys?

Good question! No I haven't heard of an issue there. Chain doesn't wrap
as tightly around a changer pulley as it does the driven cog in most
gear selections but at the extremes they are about the same wrap with ,
as you note, smaller radius. I wonder . . .

--

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bill Westphal wrote:
>> A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > We use a lot of these and although mfr says "one time use" we have
>> > ignored that with impunity for years.
>> > Seems to be a "CYA" statement from the legal department. Also no "11t"
>> > problems as in the otherwise-nice Wippermann link.
>> >

>> What "11t" problems?
>>

>> Bill Westphal

> Wipperman has an up and down, with regards to 11t. Gentle 'arc' of the
> link towards the cogs..for no skip.

No problem there. I programmed my brain long ago to that. I'd be
hard pressed to coordinate my fingers to do it the wrong way.

Bill Westphal

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> We use a lot of these and although mfr says "one time use" we have
>>> ignored that with impunity for years.
>>> Seems to be a "CYA" statement from the legal department. Also no "11t"
>>> problems as in the otherwise-nice Wippermann link.

> Bill Westphal wrote:
>> What "11t" problems?

> We don't use their link with 11t cogs as they do not conform to the
> small radius well and may unclip if the thing 'hangs up' while
> backpedaling ( rider reports - I couldn't force that result)

I've been running strictly with 11t cogs for years, and never had that problem

Bill Westphal

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:20:10 -0600, Patrick Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Can you use them with 9 tooth derailer pulleys?

I use them with 8 speed derailleur pulleys too w/o problem.