KMC chain question

Nate Nagel

Guest
well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
SWMBO's bike this time. We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
(raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
from the rest of it. I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)

Anyway, here's the question. The chain I bought was a KMC that looked
just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
apparently for no-tools installation. I don't get the point as I still
needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever. Anyway there
was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. I guess that
essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
chain as well. Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
CYA legalese BS? I was planning on R&Ring the chain on my bike to clean
and lube it as it is not particularly fresh, now I'm having second
thoughts and wondering if I should just clean it up best I can on the
bike with a toothbrush and some Brakleen, although that would be a lot
more work than just soaking it in carb dip or Diesel fuel or whatever.

thoughts?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

On Apr 20, 6:31 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
> SWMBO's bike this time.  We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
> Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
> Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
> (raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
> had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
> from the rest of it.  I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
> it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
> wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
> soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)

How many speeds and what kind of brakes? If it's a 7 or 8 speed bike
with linear pull brakes, you can just install her some cheap and very
functional Shimano shifter brake pods:

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD8919

Just the 7spd pods:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD8750

Seen 'em for cheaper. Add good grips like some Ritchey Tru-grips, and
she'll love ya:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='1229-00'

> Anyway, here's the question.  The chain I bought was a KMC that looked
> just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
> apparently for no-tools installation.  I don't get the point as I still
> needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever.  Anyway there
> was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
> chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain.  I guess that
> essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
> it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
> chain as well.  Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
> CYA legalese BS?

I've pressed countless pins in and out of 7/8 speed KMC chains--but my
legal department tells me that it can cause hair loss and impotence.

On Apr 20, 4:31 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
> SWMBO's bike this time. We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
> Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
> Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
> (raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
> had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
> from the rest of it. I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
> it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
> wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
> soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)
>
> Anyway, here's the question. The chain I bought was a KMC that looked
> just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
> apparently for no-tools installation. I don't get the point as I still
> needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever. Anyway there
> was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
> chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. I guess that
> essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
> it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
> chain as well. Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
> CYA legalese BS? I was planning on R&Ring the chain on my bike to clean
> and lube it as it is not particularly fresh, now I'm having second
> thoughts and wondering if I should just clean it up best I can on the
> bike with a toothbrush and some Brakleen, although that would be a lot
> more work than just soaking it in carb dip or Diesel fuel or whatever.
>
> thoughts?

I'm a newbie at this (well, sort of - I used to work in a motorcycle
shop, and took my dept store sting-ray all apart like a curious little
Edison when I was about 11 years-old, but still...)

I think the Power Link is so you can take it apart for cleaning and
such without having to press a pin with a chain tool. I suppose the
warning to not press a pin out using a chain tool means you're
supposed to use the Power Link instead, and that pressing a pin out
and then back in might not be good for the chain. (Of course you
ought to be able to press a pin out permanently in order to shorten
the chain to the correct initial size.)

IMO you have to remove a chain to clean it. YMMV (but I doubt it).

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyway there
>was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
>chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. I guess that
>essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
>it

Howdy,

Maybe I am missing something, but why could you not just
"unclip" the Power Link...?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

landotter wrote:
> On Apr 20, 6:31 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
>>SWMBO's bike this time. We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
>>Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
>>Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
>>(raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
>>had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
>>from the rest of it. I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
>>it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
>>wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
>>soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)

> How many speeds and what kind of brakes? If it's a 7 or 8 speed bike
> with linear pull brakes, you can just install her some cheap and very
> functional Shimano shifter brake pods:
>
> http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD8919
>
> Just the 7spd pods:
> http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=LD8750
>
> Seen 'em for cheaper. Add good grips like some Ritchey Tru-grips, and
> she'll love ya:
> http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='1229-00'

It's a 7-speed, yes v-brakes, I'll check out your links.

>>Anyway, here's the question. The chain I bought was a KMC that looked
>>just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
>>apparently for no-tools installation. I don't get the point as I still
>>needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever. Anyway there
>>was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
>>chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. I guess that
>>essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
>>it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
>>chain as well. Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
>>CYA legalese BS?

> I've pressed countless pins in and out of 7/8 speed KMC chains--but my
> legal department tells me that it can cause hair loss and impotence.

LOL I figured as much.

nate

--

Kenneth wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Anyway there
>>was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
>>chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. I guess that
>>essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
>>it

> Howdy,
>
> Maybe I am missing something, but why could you not just
> "unclip" the Power Link...?

Directly quoting from the instructions:

"Note: Once the Missing Link is installed, it is just like any other
link. Because of the integrated positive locking mechanism, it must be
removed with a chain tool. Warning: because this chain has specially
riveted pins, the original pins should never be used to re-connect the
chain. Always use Missing Link connecting link. Ignoring these
instructions may result in serious injury due to breakage."

For some reason I thought it said Power Link not Missing Link. Anyway
it seems pretty clear that KMC doesn't want you to mess with the chain
once installed. My gut tells me that this is just legalese BS but I was
hoping someone more knowledgeable might chime in if there really is
something to that "specially riveted pins" stuff.

I haven't tried to remove it yet, but I think it would probably require
two pairs of needlenose pliers (one to press the side plates together
and one to squeeze the rollers together) and that would probably weigh
more than a small chain tool if one were wanting to carry a full toolkit
for a long ride.

nate

--

Nate Nagel said:
Kenneth wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Anyway there
>>was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
>>chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. I guess that
>>essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
>>it

> Howdy,
>
> Maybe I am missing something, but why could you not just
> "unclip" the Power Link...?

Directly quoting from the instructions:

"Note: Once the Missing Link is installed, it is just like any other
link. Because of the integrated positive locking mechanism, it must be
removed with a chain tool. Warning: because this chain has specially
riveted pins, the original pins should never be used to re-connect the
chain. Always use Missing Link connecting link. Ignoring these
instructions may result in serious injury due to breakage."

For some reason I thought it said Power Link not Missing Link. Anyway
it seems pretty clear that KMC doesn't want you to mess with the chain
once installed. My gut tells me that this is just legalese BS but I was
hoping someone more knowledgeable might chime in if there really is
something to that "specially riveted pins" stuff.

I haven't tried to remove it yet, but I think it would probably require
two pairs of needlenose pliers (one to press the side plates together
and one to squeeze the rollers together) and that would probably weigh
more than a small chain tool if one were wanting to carry a full toolkit
for a long ride.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
KMC chain described has something like the Shimano HG chains such that the pins (rivets) holding the chain together allow you to take the chain apart but won't hold it together again with simple chain tool assembly. KMC wants you to use another of thier special links which will hold it togther.... permanently.

On Apr 21, 1:31 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
> SWMBO's bike this time.  We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
> Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
> Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
> (raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
> had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
> from the rest of it.  I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
> it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
> wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
> soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)
>
> Anyway, here's the question.  The chain I bought was a KMC that looked
> just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
> apparently for no-tools installation.  I don't get the point as I still
> needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever.  Anyway there
> was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
> chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain.  I guess that
> essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
> it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
> chain as well.  Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
> CYA legalese BS?  I was planning on R&Ring the chain on my bike to clean
> and lube it as it is not particularly fresh, now I'm having second
> thoughts and wondering if I should just clean it up best I can on the
> bike with a toothbrush and some Brakleen, although that would be a lot
> more work than just soaking it in carb dip or Diesel fuel or whatever.
>
> thoughts?
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I just installed a KMC 10 speed chain with their Missing Link
connector. It's great. You don't need tools to open it, and it of
course it can be reused. That's the whole point.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 21, 1:31�am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
>> SWMBO's bike this time. �We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
>> Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
>> Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
>> (raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
>> had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
>> from the rest of it. �I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
>> it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
>> wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
>> soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)
>>
>> Anyway, here's the question. �The chain I bought was a KMC that looked
>> just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
>> apparently for no-tools installation. �I don't get the point as I still
>> needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever. �Anyway there
>> was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
>> chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. �I guess that
>> essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
>> it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
>> chain as well. �Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
>> CYA legalese BS? �I was planning on R&Ring the chain on my bike to clean
>> and lube it as it is not particularly fresh, now I'm having second
>> thoughts and wondering if I should just clean it up best I can on the
>> bike with a toothbrush and some Brakleen, although that would be a lot
>> more work than just soaking it in carb dip or Diesel fuel or whatever.
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> I just installed a KMC 10 speed chain with their Missing Link
> connector. It's great. You don't need tools to open it, and it of
> course it can be reused. That's the whole point.

you can re-use it on the same chain, but you shouldn't re-use it on a
different chain - the pins wear.

On Apr 21, 2:42 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Apr 21, 1:31�am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> well, I thought I wouldn't be back for a while... actually posting about
> >> SWMBO's bike this time. �We went for a ride yesterday, I love my "new"
> >> Cannondale but she was having some serious chain issues with her bike.
> >> Today I laid down a dropcloth in the living room and brought it inside
> >> (raining like a big dog, no riding today anyway) I found that her chain
> >> had about a 6" long section that was twisted a good 20 degrees or more
> >> from the rest of it. �I don't know if that was a cause or a result but
> >> it needed replacing anyway, so off to the LBS we went (we, because she
> >> wanted some gloves as well - her bike has SRAM grip shifters that are
> >> soft-ish rubber and hard on the hands.)

> >> Anyway, here's the question. �The chain I bought was a KMC thatlooked
> >> just like the original, but it came with a "Power Link" connector
> >> apparently for no-tools installation. �I don't get the point asI still
> >> needed a chain tool to get the old one off but whatever. �Anyway there
> >> was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
> >> chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain. �I guess that
> >> essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
> >> it so if you say have to change a derailleur you need to buy a whole new
> >> chain as well. �Is there really a concern about this, or is this just
> >> CYA legalese BS? �I was planning on R&Ring the chain on my biketo clean
> >> and lube it as it is not particularly fresh, now I'm having second
> >> thoughts and wondering if I should just clean it up best I can on the
> >> bike with a toothbrush and some Brakleen, although that would be a lot
> >> more work than just soaking it in carb dip or Diesel fuel or whatever.

> >> thoughts?

> >> nate

> >> --
> >> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> > I just installed a KMC 10 speed chain with their Missing Link
> > connector. It's great. You don't need tools to open it, and it of
> > course it can be reused. That's the whole point.

> you can re-use it on the same chain, but you shouldn't re-use it on a
> different chain - the pins wear.

That makes sense. The chains come with new links so that should be
easy to accomplish.

The KMC X10 SL chain I'm using now is great. It shifts much cleaner
than the (new) Ultegra 6600 that just broke after a few weeks.

Joseph

On Apr 20, 6:31 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Anyway there
> >>was some verbiage in the little instruction sheet about never using a
> >>chain tool to press the pins in or out of the chain.  I guess that
> >>essentially means that once you install the chain you can never remove
> >>it

> > Howdy,

> > Maybe I am missing something, but why could you not just
> > "unclip" the Power Link...?

> Directly quoting from the instructions:
>
> "Note: Once the Missing Link is installed, it is just like any other
> link.  Because of the integrated positive locking mechanism, it must be
> removed with a chain tool.  Warning: because this chain has specially
> riveted pins, the original pins should never be used to re-connect the
> chain.  Always use Missing Link connecting link.  Ignoring these
> instructions may result in serious injury due to breakage."
>
> For some reason I thought it said Power Link not Missing Link.  Anyway
> it seems pretty clear that KMC doesn't want you to mess with the chain
> once installed.  My gut tells me that this is just legalese BS but I was
> hoping someone more knowledgeable might chime in if there really is
> something to that "specially riveted pins" stuff.
>
> I haven't tried to remove it yet, but I think it would probably require
> two pairs of needlenose pliers (one to press the side plates together
> and one to squeeze the rollers together) and that would probably weigh
> more than a small chain tool if one were wanting to carry a full toolkit
> for a long ride.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

I have KMC chains with power links. They are links that can be removed
by hand, but once properly installed they won't come out. To remove
the power link you need to squeeze the plates together and them push
the pins towards each other. This should "brake" the power link and
the chain can be removed. I don't know if my description made sense. I
remove and clean/lubricate my chains every 4 months or so or whenever
I feel that they need to be cleaned and lubricated. All modern chains,
except for shimano work with some sort of a power link.

Hope that this helps,

Andres

[email protected] wrote:
{snip much helpful info}

> All modern chains,
> except for shimano work with some sort of a power link.

Shimano doesn't /provide/ quick links, but its chains work just fine with
them.

Bill "need to measure my SRAM link for wear (some day)" S.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 20, 6:31 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Kenneth wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>> Maybe I am missing something, but why could you not just
>>> "unclip" the Power Link...?

>> Directly quoting from the instructions:
>>
>> "Note: Once the Missing Link is installed, it is just like any other
>> link. Because of the integrated positive locking mechanism, it must be
>> removed with a chain tool. Warning: because this chain has specially
>> riveted pins, the original pins should never be used to re-connect the
>> chain. Always use Missing Link connecting link. Ignoring these
>> instructions may result in serious injury due to breakage."
>>
>> For some reason I thought it said Power Link not Missing Link. Anyway
>> it seems pretty clear that KMC doesn't want you to mess with the chain
>> once installed. My gut tells me that this is just legalese BS but I was
>> hoping someone more knowledgeable might chime in if there really is
>> something to that "specially riveted pins" stuff.
>>
>> I haven't tried to remove it yet, but I think it would probably require
>> two pairs of needlenose pliers (one to press the side plates together
>> and one to squeeze the rollers together) and that would probably weigh
>> more than a small chain tool if one were wanting to carry a full toolkit
>> for a long ride.
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

> I have KMC chains with power links. They are links that can be removed
> by hand, but once properly installed they won't come out. To remove
> the power link you need to squeeze the plates together and them push
> the pins towards each other. This should "brake" the power link and
> the chain can be removed. I don't know if my description made sense. I
> remove and clean/lubricate my chains every 4 months or so or whenever
> I feel that they need to be cleaned and lubricated.

4 months? Does it never rain where you ride?

All modern chains,
> except for shimano work with some sort of a power link.

Shimano work well with Sram links (9 speed) or Connex links (10 speed).

Lou

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I have KMC chains with power links. They are links that can be removed
by hand, but once properly installed they won't come out. To remove
the power link you need to squeeze the plates together and them push
the pins towards each other. This should "brake" the power link and
the chain can be removed. I don't know if my description made sense. I
remove and clean/lubricate my chains every 4 months or so or whenever
I feel that they need to be cleaned and lubricated. All modern chains,
except for shimano work with some sort of a power link.

----------------------

About 25 years ago I used to have a tool that squeezed the link together. It
was V shaped with a hook on each end of the V facing each other to catch the
chain rollers and squeeze the link by means of a threaded clamp.

On Apr 21, 11:01 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> Directly quoting from the instructions:

> >> "Note: Once the Missing Link is installed, it is just like any other
> >> link.  Because of the integrated positive locking mechanism, it must be
> >> removed with a chain tool.  Warning: because this chain has specially
> >> riveted pins, the original pins should never be used to re-connect the
> >> chain.  Always use Missing Link connecting link.  Ignoring these
> >> instructions may result in serious injury due to breakage."

> >> For some reason I thought it said Power Link not Missing Link.  Anyway
> >> it seems pretty clear that KMC doesn't want you to mess with the chain
> >> once installed.  My gut tells me that this is just legalese BS but I was
> >> hoping someone more knowledgeable might chime in if there really is
> >> something to that "specially riveted pins" stuff.

> >> I haven't tried to remove it yet, but I think it would probably require
> >> two pairs of needlenose pliers (one to press the side plates together
> >> and one to squeeze the rollers together) and that would probably weigh
> >> more than a small chain tool if one were wanting to carry a full toolkit
> >> for a long ride.

> >> nate

> >> --
> >> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel-Hide quoted text -

> > I have KMC chains with power links. They are links that can be removed
> > by hand, but once properly installed they won't come out. To remove
> > the power link you need to squeeze the plates together and them push
> > the pins towards each other. This should "brake" the power link and
> > the chain can be removed. I don't know if my description made sense. I
> > remove and clean/lubricate my chains every 4 months or so or whenever
> > I feel that they need to be cleaned and lubricated.

> 4 months? Does it never rain where you ride?
>
>   All modern chains,
>
> > except for shimano work with some sort of a power link.

> Shimano work well with Sram links (9 speed) or Connex links (10 speed).
>
> Lou- Hide quoted text -

You guys are right that shimano chains work with power links. They
don't come with them and they want you to use a special pin when you
brake the chain. However, they work with powerlink just fine.
Regarding rain, it doesn't rain much in El Paso. It is the Chihuahuan
dessert. I avoid riding in the rain anyways. I do relube the chain
more regularly than every four months. However, I take it out of the
bike and clean and wax every four months or so. Yes, I am one of those
crazies who waxes the chain. I like how it feels to ride on a waxed
chain and how clean it seems to stay.

Andres

On Apr 22, 7:12 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

> Regarding rain, it doesn't rain much in El Paso. It is the Chihuahuan
> dessert. I avoid riding in the rain anyways.

Yesterday afternoon I checked weather forecasts and started pedaling
for home, saving my bus fare for today, when it looked like the rain
would be coming down in earnest. Before I even got out of town I was
wet. Outside of town I rode through a cold side-wind and fairly solid
rain (with an occasional smattering of hail thrown in). Within ten
miles I was drenched (no rain gear). At about fifteen miles I turned
for the ten mile stretch - into a brutal headwind.

It's lightly sprinkling out there today - no wind - altogether
tolerable - pleasant, even. My riding clothes are still soggy from
yesterday. I slept in and drove the car today (Earth Day). I'll be
buying rain gear come pay day

I do relube the chain
> more regularly than every four months. However, I take it out of the
> bike and clean and wax every four months or so. Yes, I am one of those
> crazies who waxes the chain. I like how it feels to ride on a waxed
> chain...

While this idea has never appealed to me (hmm... might be worth a try,
though), I would never even question "I like how it feels to ride".

[email protected] aka Andres Muro wrote:
> [...]
> You guys are right that shimano chains work with power links. They
> don't come with them and they want you to use a special pin when you
> brake the chain. However, they work with powerlink just fine.
> Regarding rain, it doesn't rain much in El Paso. It is the Chihuahuan
> dessert. I avoid riding in the rain anyways. I do relube the chain
> more regularly than every four months. However, I take it out of the
> bike and clean and wax every four months or so. Yes, I am one of those
> crazies who waxes the chain. I like how it feels to ride on a waxed
> chain and how clean it seems to stay.

Is riding on a waxed chain more or less fun than riding a bicycle?

Nate Nagel said:
Kenneth wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:31:02 -0400, Nate Nagel
> <[email protected]> wrote:

Directly quoting from the instructions:

"Note: Once the Missing Link is installed, it is just like any other
link. Because of the integrated positive locking mechanism, it must be
removed with a chain tool. Warning: because this chain has specially
riveted pins, the original pins should never be used to re-connect the
chain. Always use Missing Link connecting link. Ignoring these
instructions may result in serious injury due to breakage."

KMC considers their Missing Link to be a single-use item. Snapping it together by hands once is OK, then it should either be left in place or discarded after disassembly.
By exaggerating the permanence of the locking features of the Missing Link and telling you to destructively break it open with an ordinary chain tool they are hoping to get you to use a new Missing Link when the chain needs to be hooked up again after having been off the bike for cleaning or whatever.

Non-destructive disassembly and reuse is not a behaviour that KMC approve of, but may of course be attempted at own risk since it's quite doable.

KMC also considers their ordinary pins to be no good for reconnecting a chain, hence again the recommendation to always use a Missing Link for the job.

On Apr 22, 6:58 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Andres Muro wrote:> [...]
> > You guys are right that shimano chains work with power links. They
> > don't come with them and they want you to use a special pin when you
> > brake the chain. However, they work with powerlink just fine.
> > Regarding rain, it doesn't rain much in El Paso. It is the Chihuahuan
> > dessert. I avoid riding in the rain anyways. I do relube the chain
> > more regularly than every four months. However, I take it out of the
> > bike and clean and wax every four months or so. Yes, I am one of those
> > crazies who waxes the chain. I like how it feels to ride on a waxed
> > chain and how clean it seems to stay.

> Is riding on a waxed chain more or less fun than riding a bicycle?

:)