KMC chains

Bob Slebodnik

Guest
I have seen numerous poor comments on KMC chains in the recumbent literature. I am planning on
buying a new Rans Velocity Squared and it comes with a KMC Z 9000. I've not had direct experieince
with KMC chains and I want to make sure that I have a durable chain that won't leave me stranded and
shifts well. Should I upgrade to a different chain? Thanks in advance for your comments. Bob

> I have seen numerous poor comments on KMC chains in the recumbent literature. I am planning on
> buying a new Rans Velocity Squared and it comes with a KMC Z 9000. I've not had direct experieince
> with KMC chains and I want to make sure that I have a durable chain that won't leave me stranded
> and shifts well. Should I upgrade to a different chain? Thanks in advance for your comments.

The KMC Chain that came with my RANS Stratus lasted 8000 miles. There is nothing that I can say bad
abiut a KMC chain.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have seen numerous poor comments on KMC chains in the recumbent literature. I am planning on
> > buying a new Rans Velocity Squared and it comes with a KMC Z 9000. I've not had direct
> > experieince with KMC chains and I want to make sure that I have a durable chain that won't leave
> > me stranded and shifts well. Should I upgrade to a different chain? Thanks in advance for your
> > comments.
>
> The KMC Chain that came with my RANS Stratus lasted 8000 miles. There is nothing that I can say
> bad abiut a KMC chain.

My original KMC Z9000 on my V2 was replaced at 7200 out of boredom. No problems with durablity or
shifting performance. Use the money you were going to spend on a chain to upgrade the tires.
Regards, Greg Dorfmeier, Smyrna GA RANS V2 #005

Tom Blum wrote:
> It's Shimano chain that gets bad press, IIRC

IIRC, KMC chains have a bad rap, especially in RCN magazine, for poor shifting performance. I
haven't subscribed to RCN in a while so I don't know if they have a different opinion of KMC's
current products.

Shimano chains have a bad rap everywhere for being expensive, difficult to disconnect/reconnect,
requiring a disposable pin.

Sachs chains have a good rap for being less expensive than Shimano, but working as well, plus having
the Powerlink re-usable disconnect/reconnect mechanism.

--
I do not accept unsolicted commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for legitmate replies.

Eddie H wrote:
> Victor Kan <[email protected]_UCEloopdrive.net> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>A while back I picked up some model 89R chain from REI on super sale. I wonder if it was on sale
>>because it was giving people trouble (I wouldn't be surprisred given its lighterweight design with
>>drilled out bits in the links).
>

> I've experienced four cracked links on my 89R after about 3500 miles. The cracks never occur
> across the slotted area but at the pins. I do tend to mash in the big chainwheel so maybe the
> stress on the metal is taking its toll. Are all SRAM 9-speed chains of same gauge or is the 89R,
> 99, etc. thinner than say the 59?
>
> Eddie

I experienced cracked links on a SRAM 59 chain after only about 3000 miles on a DF. Luckily I
noticed them after cleaning the chain, before the chain actually failed. At the time (last fall)
there were a number of reports of SRAM chain failures in the bicycling NG's. Don't know if the 89
and 99 are better or worse.

Dave Lehnen

My grate frend gNick had the powerlink on one of the numerous yards of intestinal chain inside Sir
Henry Rawlinson (his racing streamliner) discomknockerate itself yesterday. Half of it remained in
the nose of the bike, but the other side is still MIA...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/