Knee Injury Help!

Fhernand

Feb 3, 2006
While on a 75 mile ride last weekend, I started feeling a slight pain on my left knee. At first the pain was on the inside side of my knee and then gradually went up towards the top. It was worst if I was off the saddle. The weather was wet, windy and cold. I was able to ride through the pain to get home. It felt like some sort of muscle pain and not so much the inside of my knee.

Have you had this happen to you?
What do you think it might be?
Any ideas for treatment?

Thank you!

It could be any number of things. Have you recently made a large increase in your weekly mileage? Have you recently changed the position of your saddle or cleats? Last season I had a similar problem when one of my cleats losened up just enough to rotate a bit on the shoe and push my heel out a few mm. The problem went away as soon as I re-adjusted the cleat. Riding that far in cold rain probably didn't help either.

Artmichalek, thanks for your reply. Let's see, yes I did lower the saddle post before the ride. I normally ride about 100 miles a week. My cleats are SPD's and pedals are Look. The pedals have a small travel to eachside. But I have been riding with them for over a year now so I don't attribute the pain to the cleats or pedals. I had been riding the same height on my seats for over 8 months until last weekend when I lowered the seat. I lowered to try to get some more comfort out of my seat.

Fhernand said:
I had been riding the same height on my seats for over 8 months until last weekend when I lowered the seat. I lowered to try to get some more comfort out of my seat.
And out of the proverbial frying pan... If your seat isn't comfortable, it's probably your seat's fault, not yours. It's probably worth finding a new seat and setting it up at the same height that you had before.

It's not unusual to get knee pain. Were you doing any other sports? Sometimes conflicting unused muscles can cause inflammation. Use ice. Also, massage around the area, and the legs, calves and quads. Use a Homedics type ball massager. You'd be surprised how much this helps. If you're over 30, you may want to consider supplementation of a combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM.