Knee injury

Al Davis

Guest
Hello,
I used to run alot, but all of a sudden, my knee is starting to hurt in
front and below the knee cap. It's like a burning sensation or something. It
happened all by itself. So I when to the doctor and he said that something
small showed-up from the MRI around the cartilage, but surgery is need to be
sure.

My question is this. How can something like this just happen all by itself.
I did not injured the knee at all. Is there a way to treat this without
surgery so I can start running right away?

Thanks,
Al

>So I when to the doctor and he said that something
>small showed-up from the MRI around the cartilage, but surgery is need to be
>sure.

This Dr is a M-O-R-O-N! Get another opinion immediately! Any Dr who can't
diagnose the problem, but says you need an operation, is an incompetent,
knife-happy, JERK!
How long has this been bothering you? Rest and time should take care of it. I
know you don't want to hear this, but it means no running. I know...

First let me say that I used to box and train with professionals and
armatures in the gym. I love to run, but one day my knee just start to hurt
all by itself; right under the knee cap in the front. I never fell down on
it or nothing ever touch it. Boy...I was getting really upset because the
most I could run now is about 2-3 miles: no more! This started to happen at
least 3 weeks ago.

So I went to our family doctor and he said that he couldn't see anything,
but something very small showed-up from the MRI. So he recommend me to see
an orthopedic surgeon.

The ortho guy said that fluid is in the knee and he needs to drain it. So he
drained my right knee and today, I can still feel that needle that went in
my knee. The needle is the only thing that bothers me. When I was running,
the pain was like a burning sensation, but the pain from the needle is like
a real acing pain that's worst. It has been 3 weeks now and I still feel
that needle!!!! So if I have surgery(with some kind of scope he said) it may
be months before I can heal from just the surgery. I can understand if I
fell down or something, but my knee just start to hurt all by itself; as if
I had been voodoo or something;)

I don't have that burning sensation under the front knee cap anymore, but if
I try to run, I begin to feel discomfort and I begin to limp a little as if
I need to build the knee-up or something. I put a brace on my knee and the
burning sensation went away, but I can still feel that needle though. For
some reason, I feel that if I start to run again, my knee will really start
to hurt.

Now it is like that I can't run anymore. Maybe I need to rest a little
while. So from your own personal experience, will you please recommend what
to do for this situation? Will I ever be able to run again?

Thanks,
Al
"FabulustRunner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >So I when to the doctor and he said that something
> >small showed-up from the MRI around the cartilage, but surgery is need to

be
> >sure.

> This Dr is a M-O-R-O-N! Get another opinion immediately! Any Dr who can't
> diagnose the problem, but says you need an operation, is an incompetent,
> knife-happy, JERK!
> How long has this been bothering you? Rest and time should take care of

it. I
> know you don't want to hear this, but it means no running. I know...

In a message dated 12/9/2004 1:04:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:
Now it is like that I can't run anymore. Maybe I need to rest a little while.
So from your own personal experience, will you please recommend what to do for
this situation? Will I ever be able to run again?
First take a month off, no running PERIOD! Then start up again like you had
never run a day in your life. If at any point, lets say 3 miles for the sake of
arguement, it starts to hurt, stop and walk. Then from that point just do 2.5
miles for a few weeks. In other words run as much as you can until JUST BEFORE
it hurts, or just under whatever distance it starts to hurt at.
Now, you DID buy new shoes, right? That's first, go to a running shop, let them
see how you run, and buy a shoe made for your style.
Cheers!
Bill

Sounds like runners knee. A condition where the cartilage gradually wears
down. I had it bad and couldn't even walk without pain for two years. Spent
a lot of money on Sports clinics and Physical therapists, nothing worked for
two years, then someone turned me on to Glucosamine sulphate and condroitin
I take 1500mg per day and after three weeks I was able to run again. It's
been six years and I still take it and am still running.
Good luck. Don't give up hope.

news:[email protected]...