Knee/leg pain question

Niteynite1

Guest
OK, here's my story and if it looks familiar, it's because I'm posting this on several
recumbent boards:

I am riding an Easyracers EZ SC-1 (heavy). For the first 500 miles, my only physical complaint was a
little numbness around the tailbone, relieved by stopping and walking around for just a couple of
minutes every 10-12 miles.

The day after I passed 500 miles, I encountered a new problem. I was in the first mile of a ride on
Sunday, Oct. 5, when I felt a little muscle twinge in my left leg, just below the groin. I rode on,
figuring I would lose it as I warmed up. Before I reached my 20-mile mark and the turnaround of my
planned 40-miler, the discomfort had spread to the inside back of my left knee. Whenever I got off
and walked a few minutes (see dead butt problem above), I felt no problem, only when I pedaled.

After finishing the 40-miler, I was a little sore in that leg for a day or two. A combination of
work schedule, weather and traveling meant I did not get back on the bike until today, Thursday,
Oct. 16. Within two miles, I was feeling the dull pain behind my knee again. I rode 20 today and the
pain never went away, but it never got too bad, either.

Any ideas and/or suggestions? I should mention the bike is still stock. I have not changed anything,
including not yet taking the clipless pedals off my road bike and putting them on the 'bent. Also, I
am 57, 5-9 and pretty overweight.

This may or may not have any relevance here, but I see comments about pedal extenders and knee pain.
Is this the kind of knee pain some have experienced and alleviated with extenders? I know nothing
about them and how they work, but remembered that as I was riding today. Since I haven't put on the
clipless pedals, I am free to move my feet around the pedals and tried pedaling from the outside
edges of the pedals (i.e., as if I had extenders) and felt no difference in the pain.

The pain is uncomfortable, but tolerable. It has not been sharp, and feels deep within the leg.
Since I was able to keep riding for 40 miles with it the first time, it is obviously not
incapacitating.

Any/all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

I had a problem where the back of my right knee would hurt, bad enough that it kind of spreak around
the front and I had trouble walking for 2-3 days after a short 15 mile ride. I was also having a
problem that kind of felt like my left hip was grating.

I was afraid I was overextending my leg and moved my pedals/boom in about 1/2". It felt a lot better
but there was still a little pain, possibly leftover from the last ride.

Since then, I've made a point to stretch the back of my legs and calves before a ride and I haven't
had any knee pain since!

I also recently picked up that "science of bicycling" book at a swap meet and browsing through it,
there was enough pictures of stretching to scare me into believing. I wish I was that flexible.

Pain in back of knee. Seat is to far back. Pain in front of knee Seat is to close. Bob Milligan V2

Small changes in seat positions for many of us can be the difference between an enjoyable ride or a
painful one. Thus once you get your initial distance set then keeping track of the seat/boom
changes and seatbck angle is important. Some don't realize that they have hidden problems. My right
leg is longer than my left. 10 years ago a chiropractor pointed this out by measuring x-rays. Its
enough to cause a problem for me. I'm thankful that it was just a touch of achillies tendonitis in
the left ankle on a long ride. An 1/8" cleat shim is all it took to fix it. It was never an issue
until I got the Aero. On a Strada/Corsa/V-Rex or Rocket I could make smaller changes in the seat to
reach a medium between my right and left distances. Recumbents with boom adjustments are also
capable of microadjustments. I don't stretch....but I MUST warm up or I get what people that need
to stretch get.

news:[email protected]...