Knee Pads for Agressive XC Riding??

Shawn

Guest
Hi,

What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?

Shawn

Shawn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
>
> Shawn

661 4x4

"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
>
> Shawn

If your near a Home Depot or I suppose any hardware store, the knee pads that are used to lay floor
tiles are @ $10. Held on with a Velcro strap, knee protection only. Good for low speed tip overs.
--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

"Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
> >
> > Skills
>

> Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?

Nope, trail signs that say you have to wear eye protection.

JD

Shaun Bell wrote:

>>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
>>
>>Skills
>

> Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
>
> SB

Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
right on the side, underneath the kneecap. I finished the ride, got home, put ice on it, and then
noted a huge amount of swelling and a squishy feeling. D'oh! Turns out I bled into my bursa, and
couldnt' ride for a week or two. I was lucky it drained by itself, or else my dad (orthopedic
surgeon, real handy to have one around the house) would have had to stick a big ass needle into my
knee and drain it. Yuck!

That said, do I wear kneepads when XC riding? 95% of the time, no. I haven't fallen there before,
haven't fallen there since. But if I know I'm going to be tackling something thats a little bit over
my head, or playing around on log rides and stuff, then I'll usually throw them on.

Jon Bond

In article <[email protected]>, "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
> >
> > Skills
>

> Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
>
> SB

No joke: last year, I rode some of the local "Twoonie Rides" put on by the NSMBA. These are strictly
XC fare, albeit beer league. Never mind the fairly heavily suspended Klein and other not-very-XC
bikes, one nice woman showed up on a FS rig in full body armor and a full-face helmet. She was no
kamikaze, either. Full respect to her: it was her first race ever, and that's what the Twoonies are
for. But XC and body armor. I've seen it done, it's not very pretty.

> > > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some
> ASTM
> > > guidelines?
> >
> > Nope, trail signs that say you have to wear eye protection.
> >
> > JD
>
> You mean like this?:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/cal18.JPG
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

That is a good one, but my favorite (sorry no photo) is:

"Unforeseen Hazards Exist - Use Caution"

Hmmmm, couldn't they just say that is life?

Bob

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
> >
> > Skin.
> >
> > Bill "easier to spell than minisci (pl/sp?/whatthe?)" S.
> >
> Menisci - pl Meniscus - sgl

Ah, but I was referring to a very small biologist.

Bill "mini sci" S.

> "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Skin.
> > >
> > > Bill "easier to spell than minisci (pl/sp?/whatthe?)" S.
> > >
> > Menisci - pl Meniscus - sgl
>
> Ah, but I was referring to a very small biologist.
>
> Bill "mini sci" S.

Purrfect...my miss take

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:21:14 +0000, Shaun Bell wrote:

>> "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
>>
>> Skills
>

> Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
>
> SB

Whose version of XC are we talking here? XC in the sense that there are no obstacles or drops larger
than 1", or XC in that you ride up as well as down?

There are plenty of drops and big rock gardens on my XC rides. I wear pads because I like to go
fast, I like air, and the down time spent healing sucks.

-Bruce

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Shaun Bell wrote:
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Skills
> >

> > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
> >
> > SB
> >

> Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
> fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
> clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
> right on the side, underneath the kneecap.

That wouldn't be part of "mountain biking", would it? You need to watch "Dogtown and Z Boys".

JD

JD wrote:
> Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Shaun Bell wrote:

>>>news:<[email protected]>...

>>>Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
>>>
>>>SB
>>>

>>Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
>>fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
>>clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
>>right on the side, underneath the kneecap.
>

> That wouldn't be part of "mountain biking", would it? You need to watch "Dogtown and Z Boys".
>
> JD

Oh, I know it is. I don't mind getting scraped, cut, bloodied, whatever, its part of the fun. (and
hey, chicks dig scars) But when I can't ride for two weeks, its a pain in the ass.... er, knee.

Jon Bond

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Shaun Bell wrote:
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Skills
> >

> > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
> >
> > SB
> >

> Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
> fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
> clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
> right on the side, underneath the kneecap. I finished the ride, got home, put ice on it, and then
> noted a huge amount of swelling and a squishy feeling. D'oh! Turns out I bled into my bursa, and
> couldnt' ride for a week or two. I was lucky it drained by itself, or else my dad (orthopedic
> surgeon, real handy to have one around the house) would have had to stick a big ass needle into my
> knee and drain it. Yuck!
>
> That said, do I wear kneepads when XC riding? 95% of the time, no. I haven't fallen there before,
> haven't fallen there since. But if I know I'm going to be tackling something thats a little bit
> over my head, or playing around on log rides and stuff, then I'll usually throw them on.
>
> Jon Bond

I'm getting shin pads this year for no other reason then to stop the build up of pedal shaped
bruises up and down my leg. I'm actually going to use pads that don't have a knee in them because I
can't remember ever hitting my knee on anything.
--