Knee Pads for Agressive XC Riding??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shawn, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Hi,

    What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?

    Shawn

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Shawn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    >
    > Shawn

    661 4x4

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  4. "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    >
    > Shawn

    If your near a Home Depot or I suppose any hardware store, the knee pads that are used to lay floor
    tiles are @ $10. Held on with a Velcro strap, knee protection only. Good for low speed tip overs.
    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?

    Skin.

    Bill "easier to spell than minisci (pl/sp?/whatthe?)" S.

  7. Shaun Bell

    Shaun Bell Guest

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    > >
    > > Skills
    >

    > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?

    Nope, trail signs that say you have to wear eye protection.

    JD

  9. Shaun Bell wrote:

    >>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    >>
    >>Skills
    >

    > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
    >
    > SB

    Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
    fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
    clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
    right on the side, underneath the kneecap. I finished the ride, got home, put ice on it, and then
    noted a huge amount of swelling and a squishy feeling. D'oh! Turns out I bled into my bursa, and
    couldnt' ride for a week or two. I was lucky it drained by itself, or else my dad (orthopedic
    surgeon, real handy to have one around the house) would have had to stick a big ass needle into my
    knee and drain it. Yuck!

    That said, do I wear kneepads when XC riding? 95% of the time, no. I haven't fallen there before,
    haven't fallen there since. But if I know I'm going to be tackling something thats a little bit over
    my head, or playing around on log rides and stuff, then I'll usually throw them on.

    Jon Bond

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    > >
    > > Skills
    >

    > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
    >
    > SB

    No joke: last year, I rode some of the local "Twoonie Rides" put on by the NSMBA. These are strictly
    XC fare, albeit beer league. Never mind the fairly heavily suspended Klein and other not-very-XC
    bikes, one nice woman showed up on a FS rig in full body armor and a full-face helmet. She was no
    kamikaze, either. Full respect to her: it was her first race ever, and that's what the Twoonies are
    for. But XC and body armor. I've seen it done, it's not very pretty.

  11. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  12. Bob

    Bob Guest

  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > > > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some
    > ASTM
    > > > guidelines?
    > >
    > > Nope, trail signs that say you have to wear eye protection.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > You mean like this?:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/khsgrl/cal18.JPG
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    That is a good one, but my favorite (sorry no photo) is:

    "Unforeseen Hazards Exist - Use Caution"

    Hmmmm, couldn't they just say that is life?

    Bob

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    > >
    > > Skin.
    > >
    > > Bill "easier to spell than minisci (pl/sp?/whatthe?)" S.
    > >
    > Menisci - pl Meniscus - sgl

    Ah, but I was referring to a very small biologist.

    Bill "mini sci" S.

  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Skin.
    > > >
    > > > Bill "easier to spell than minisci (pl/sp?/whatthe?)" S.
    > > >
    > > Menisci - pl Meniscus - sgl
    >
    > Ah, but I was referring to a very small biologist.
    >
    > Bill "mini sci" S.

    Purrfect...my miss take

  16. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:21:14 +0000, Shaun Bell wrote:

    >> "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > What are some good comfortable knee pads, that dont restrict your leg movement?
    >>
    >> Skills
    >

    > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
    >
    > SB

    Whose version of XC are we talking here? XC in the sense that there are no obstacles or drops larger
    than 1", or XC in that you ride up as well as down?

    There are plenty of drops and big rock gardens on my XC rides. I wear pads because I like to go
    fast, I like air, and the down time spent healing sucks.

    -Bruce

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Shaun Bell wrote:
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>Skills
    > >

    > > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
    > >
    > > SB
    > >

    > Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
    > fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
    > clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
    > right on the side, underneath the kneecap.

    That wouldn't be part of "mountain biking", would it? You need to watch "Dogtown and Z Boys".

    JD

  18. Jd

    Jd Guest

  19. JD wrote:
    > Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Shaun Bell wrote:

    >>>news:<[email protected]>...

    >>>Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
    >>>
    >>>SB
    >>>

    >>Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
    >>fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
    >>clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
    >>right on the side, underneath the kneecap.
    >

    > That wouldn't be part of "mountain biking", would it? You need to watch "Dogtown and Z Boys".
    >
    > JD

    Oh, I know it is. I don't mind getting scraped, cut, bloodied, whatever, its part of the fun. (and
    hey, chicks dig scars) But when I can't ride for two weeks, its a pain in the ass.... er, knee.

    Jon Bond

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Shaun Bell wrote:
    > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>Skills
    > >

    > > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
    > >
    > > SB
    > >

    > Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
    > fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
    > clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
    > right on the side, underneath the kneecap. I finished the ride, got home, put ice on it, and then
    > noted a huge amount of swelling and a squishy feeling. D'oh! Turns out I bled into my bursa, and
    > couldnt' ride for a week or two. I was lucky it drained by itself, or else my dad (orthopedic
    > surgeon, real handy to have one around the house) would have had to stick a big ass needle into my
    > knee and drain it. Yuck!
    >
    > That said, do I wear kneepads when XC riding? 95% of the time, no. I haven't fallen there before,
    > haven't fallen there since. But if I know I'm going to be tackling something thats a little bit
    > over my head, or playing around on log rides and stuff, then I'll usually throw them on.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I'm getting shin pads this year for no other reason then to stop the build up of pedal shaped
    bruises up and down my leg. I'm actually going to use pads that don't have a knee in them because I
    can't remember ever hitting my knee on anything.
    --