Knee Pads for Agressive XC Riding??

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:27:11 -0400, Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>> Shaun Bell wrote:

>> > news:<[email protected]>...

>> > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
>> >
>> > SB
>> >

>> Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride. I took a
>> fairly innocent fall when my front tire washed out at the bottom of a small steep hill and just
>> clipped the base of a pruned back bush, dumping me sideways and forward. My knee hit a rock HARD
>> right on the side, underneath the kneecap. I finished the ride, got home, put ice on it, and then
>> noted a huge amount of swelling and a squishy feeling. D'oh! Turns out I bled into my bursa, and
>> couldnt' ride for a week or two. I was lucky it drained by itself, or else my dad (orthopedic
>> surgeon, real handy to have one around the house) would have had to stick a big ass needle into
>> my knee and drain it. Yuck!
>>
>> That said, do I wear kneepads when XC riding? 95% of the time, no. I haven't fallen there before,
>> haven't fallen there since. But if I know I'm going to be tackling something thats a little bit
>> over my head, or playing around on log rides and stuff, then I'll usually throw them on.
>>
>> Jon Bond
>>

>I'm getting shin pads this year for no other reason then to stop the build up of pedal shaped
>bruises up and down my leg. I'm actually going to use pads that don't have a knee in them because I
>can't remember ever hitting my knee on anything.

seems I remember taking an inordinant amount of **** for my posting that I too was beginnning to use
knee & shin pads not that long ago. But you know what? I wore em anyway, and have 0 cuts and
abrasions since. And I have taken some hard falls with them! one of my best purchases to date!

Dave (vindication?, na, must just be me!)

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:21:14 +0000, Shaun Bell wrote:
>

> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> "Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >> Skills
> >

> > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
> >
> > SB
>
> Whose version of XC are we talking here? XC in the sense that there are no obstacles or drops
> larger than 1", or XC in that you ride up as well as down?
>
> There are plenty of drops and big rock gardens on my XC rides. I wear pads because I like to go
> fast, I like air, and the down time spent healing sucks.

My idea of XC is...well.... Lets just say if you mess up, the pads won't do ya any good lol! Pads
lure you into a false sense of security, trust me on this. Exception, Easton platforms! Man those
can really dig up the shins. Yes, all this ******** from someone with a full azonic suit and a
massive collection of roach gear LOL.

SB

"Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> My idea of XC is...well.... Lets just say if you mess up, the pads won't
do
> ya any good lol! Pads lure you into a false sense of security, trust me
on
> this...

Hehehe...that's why I call it 'plastic courage'. It kinda keeps it in perspective.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > My idea of XC is...well.... Lets just say if you mess up, the pads won't
> do
> > ya any good lol! Pads lure you into a false sense of security, trust me
> on
> > this...
>
> Hehehe...that's why I call it 'plastic courage'. It kinda keeps it in perspective.

A fitting description, sadly so. There is NO substitute for skill.

JD

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > My idea of XC is...well.... Lets just say if you mess up, the pads
won't
> > do
> > > ya any good lol! Pads lure you into a false sense of security, trust
me
> > on
> > > this...
> >
> > Hehehe...that's why I call it 'plastic courage'. It kinda keeps it in perspective.
>
> A fitting description, sadly so. There is NO substitute for skill.
>
> JD

Yeah hippie. And here you go again telling everyone how great you are. Funny how all your posts seem
to end that way. I think your a two bit wierdo with nothing else going on in your life so you try to
impress everyone here.

When ya cutting that greasy hair?

"..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Shaun Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> won't do
> me on
> > >
> > > Hehehe...that's why I call it 'plastic courage'. It kinda keeps it in perspective.
> >
> > A fitting description, sadly so. There is NO substitute for skill.
> >
> > JD
>
> Yeah hippie. And here you go again telling everyone how great you are. Funny how all your posts
> seem to end that way. I think your a two bit wierdo with nothing else going on in your life so you
> try to impress everyone here.
>
> When ya cutting that greasy hair?

Hump that leg!

WooooOOOOOO, don't that look good, you all over Jerry's leg. Why do all you morons ending up
sounding the same?

Spider

[email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > won't do
> > me on

> > > A fitting description, sadly so. There is NO substitute for skill.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > Yeah hippie. And here you go again telling everyone how great you are. Funny how all your posts
> > seem to end that way. I think your a two bit wierdo with nothing else going on in your life so
> > you try to impress everyone here.
> >
> > When ya cutting that greasy hair?
>

> Hump that leg!
>
> WooooOOOOOO, don't that look good, you all over Jerry's leg. Why do all you morons ending up
> sounding the same?

He's actually attained worm level by referring to one's family member. He's tossed out with the
other lowlife garbage.

JD and I had such high hopes for mr high finance

> [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > won't do
> > > me on

> > > Yeah hippie. And here you go again telling everyone how great you are.
Funny
> > > how all your posts seem to end that way. I think your a two bit wierdo
with
> > > nothing else going on in your life so you try to impress everyone
here.

> > > When ya cutting that greasy hair?
> >

> > Hump that leg!
> >
> > WooooOOOOOO, don't that look good, you all over Jerry's leg. Why do all you morons ending up
> > sounding the same?
>
> He's actually attained worm level by referring to one's family member. He's tossed out with the
> other lowlife garbage.
>
> JD and I had such high hopes for mr high finance

The only high hope you have is your next bottle of glue to sniff.

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Shaun Bell wrote:
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>"Shawn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Skills
> >

> > Thank you, someone had to say it. XC and body armor? What next, some ASTM guidelines?
> >
> > SB
> >

> Skills are nice, but its damn hard to get more skills if you're laid up and can't ride.

Yup.

Sometimes I wear leg and arm armor if I'm riding a trail with which I am unfamiliar. If (when) I
crash, I won't get big gouges or have to pick bits of gravel/vegetation out of my skin. I don't like
how sweaty it gets, but it's a trade-off. I want to at least try the hard sections - I used to walk
a lot of stuff that looked nasty, but ended up to be OK once I had ridden it. Strange, but walking
the sections that look "funny" doesn't really give the best impression of how it will ride.
Especially if you are lugging the bike at the same time.

Those of us with marginal skills, or who often ride alone, or who just want to try and ride sections
that might be slightly beyond our current skill level, appreciate the small amount of protection
afforded from strategically-placed protection. After all, I don't wear a helmet to save my head from
getting crushed in a high-speed crash, but to keep my scalp from getting lacerated in a slow-speed
tumble, in addition to keeping the sticks and stuff off my noggin. Plus, it's a handly place to stow
stuff temporarily (like my gloves or sunglasses.)

If JD doesn't like that, he can kiss my skinny, hairy ass. ;)

Spider