Knee PADS!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Zeeexsixare, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube, stem,
    and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that will
    protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    ZeeExSixAre <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >> Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube,
    >> stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that
    >> will protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training

    If their knee is hitting the stem and fork, maybe they need a bigger bike?

    I would let them continue hitting their knee and thigh until they figure out how to ride properly.
    Seems to me that padding the area may just continue the already bad habit/technique.

    And tell them to stop riding like a girl. ;)

    --

    FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

    --

  3. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    FlyingCoyote wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], ZeeExSixAre <[email protected]>
    > scribbled:
    >>> Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube,
    >>> stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that
    >>> will protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
    >
    > If their knee is hitting the stem and fork, maybe they need a bigger bike?
    >
    > I would let them continue hitting their knee and thigh until they figure out how to ride properly.
    > Seems to me that padding the area may just continue the already bad habit/technique.
    >
    > And tell them to stop riding like a girl. ;)

    sounds like a riding alignment issue. Ride behind him/her, is everything traveling in the same plane
    ( hip, knee ankle) sounds like there may be toeing in issues?

    Penny

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees
    banged
    > up on the top tube, stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there
    any
    > protective gear that anyone knows of that will protect the inner
    knee/thigh?
    > A neoprene bootie of sorts?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    After the technique improves, try this site. There are many; you can do a search.

    I like Angie's stuff..

    http://www.corerat.com/

    -Bob

  5. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > > If their knee is hitting the stem and fork, maybe they need a bigger bike?
    > >
    > > I would let them continue hitting their knee and thigh until they figure out how to ride
    > > properly. Seems to me that padding the area may just continue the already bad habit/technique.
    > >
    > > And tell them to stop riding like a girl. ;)
    >

    > sounds like a riding alignment issue. Ride behind him/her, is everything traveling in the same
    > plane ( hip, knee ankle) sounds like there may be toeing in issues?
    >
    > Penny

    My apologies that I didn't clarify. He is trying to get into trials riding. His bike is too small,
    too. He's 6'2" on a 17 frame. The guy that sold it to him wanted to get the bike out of the shop...
    gave him a 130mm stem, moved the seat all the way back, and waved him goodbye. Course we get a big
    discount on bikes from that shop...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    ZeeExSixAre wrote:
    > Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube,
    > stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that
    > will protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?

    Years of clamping the saddle for no-handers and bar spins have taught me that there's nothing out
    there that will really protect the inner knee / thigh area.