Knee PADS!

Zeeexsixare

Guest
Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube, stem,
and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that will
protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

In news:[email protected],
ZeeExSixAre <[email protected]> scribbled:
>> Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube,
>> stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that
>> will protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?
>>
>> --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training

If their knee is hitting the stem and fork, maybe they need a bigger bike?

I would let them continue hitting their knee and thigh until they figure out how to ride properly.
Seems to me that padding the area may just continue the already bad habit/technique.

And tell them to stop riding like a girl. ;)

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

FlyingCoyote wrote:
> In news:[email protected], ZeeExSixAre <[email protected]>
> scribbled:
>>> Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube,
>>> stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that
>>> will protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Phil, Squid-in-Training
>
> If their knee is hitting the stem and fork, maybe they need a bigger bike?
>
> I would let them continue hitting their knee and thigh until they figure out how to ride properly.
> Seems to me that padding the area may just continue the already bad habit/technique.
>
> And tell them to stop riding like a girl. ;)

sounds like a riding alignment issue. Ride behind him/her, is everything traveling in the same plane
( hip, knee ankle) sounds like there may be toeing in issues?

Penny

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees
banged
> up on the top tube, stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there
any
> protective gear that anyone knows of that will protect the inner
knee/thigh?
> A neoprene bootie of sorts?
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

After the technique improves, try this site. There are many; you can do a search.

I like Angie's stuff..

http://www.corerat.com/

-Bob

> > If their knee is hitting the stem and fork, maybe they need a bigger bike?
> >
> > I would let them continue hitting their knee and thigh until they figure out how to ride
> > properly. Seems to me that padding the area may just continue the already bad habit/technique.
> >
> > And tell them to stop riding like a girl. ;)
>

> sounds like a riding alignment issue. Ride behind him/her, is everything traveling in the same
> plane ( hip, knee ankle) sounds like there may be toeing in issues?
>
> Penny

My apologies that I didn't clarify. He is trying to get into trials riding. His bike is too small,
too. He's 6'2" on a 17 frame. The guy that sold it to him wanted to get the bike out of the shop...
gave him a 130mm stem, moved the seat all the way back, and waved him goodbye. Course we get a big
discount on bikes from that shop...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
> Hey group. My roommate is having a hell of a time getting his knees banged up on the top tube,
> stem, and fork. Other than bad technique, is there any protective gear that anyone knows of that
> will protect the inner knee/thigh? A neoprene bootie of sorts?

Years of clamping the saddle for no-handers and bar spins have taught me that there's nothing out
there that will really protect the inner knee / thigh area.