Knee pain and a new bike ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Scott, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    Dear all,

    I have just bought a second hand Trek 1200 racing bike, now I've been cycling regulary again for a
    couple of years, mostly on a hybrid but I also have a Scott pro racing bike for summer-time. Anyway
    I've been on the Trek 2 or 3 times now and I've started getting a sore left knee ? Any ideas ?

    Thanks, John

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have just bought a second hand Trek 1200 racing bike, now I've been cycling regulary again for a
    > couple of years, mostly on a hybrid but I
    also
    > have a Scott pro racing bike for summer-time. Anyway I've been on the Trek
    2
    > or 3 times now and I've started getting a sore left knee ? Any ideas ?

    Saddle too low? Bent left hand crank? Bent pedal spindle? Are the cranks a different length to those
    on your other bikes (although I'd be surprised if that gave a problem)? Is the bike fitted with
    clipless pedals, if so are they the same types as your other bikes? Is the saddle the same distance
    behind the bottom bracket as your other bikes?

    More questions than answers :)

    Pete.

  3. John Scott wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have just bought a second hand Trek 1200 racing bike, now I've been cycling regulary again
    > for a couple of years, mostly on a hybrid but I also have a Scott pro racing bike for
    > summer-time. Anyway I've been on the Trek 2 or 3 times now and I've started getting a sore left
    > knee ? Any ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks, John

    Hi John, This question arose in the last few days on rec.bicycles.tech. You might want to take a
    look at it in google groups or subscribe to it directly.

    The following was posted by Jim Edgar. I hope it helps and you get better.

    "Pain (in this instance) is not good. IIRC, pain in the front of the knee, raise your saddle. Pain
    in the rear of your knee, lower your saddle.

    Or, search Google for - "saddle height" knee pain

    and get, for example, this page: http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm"

    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. G S Banner

    G S Banner Guest

    Anyway I've been on the Trek 2
    > or 3 times now and I've started getting a sore left knee ? Any ideas ?

    Can you be a bit more specific about the soreness? Where is it sore (front, side, in the joint)?
    Does it hurt when you're riding or after you've stopped? Is it acute or chronic pain?

    More detail the better.

  5. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  6. Visionset

    Visionset Guest

    "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've started getting a sore left knee ?

    So do I.

    Not specifically cycling, but maybe someone knows a likely cause.

    Outside of left knee, just left of patela (knee cap).

    Achy type of pain. Went for an 18 mile walk yesterday, that did NOT help! Could hardly walk
    afterwards, after it had stiffened up sitting on the bus.

    --
    Mike W

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Scott wrote:
    > I have just bought a second hand Trek 1200 racing bike, now I've been cycling regulary again for a
    > couple of years, mostly on a hybrid but I also have a Scott pro racing bike for summer-time.
    > Anyway I've been on the Trek 2 or 3 times now and I've started getting a sore left knee ?

    As well as the saddle possibly being wrong, you might be using too-high gears. This is easily done
    on a road bike before becoming properly used to
    it.

    Also, if using clipless pedals, try altering the cleat position slightly (in whatever ways you could
    imagine might help).

    ~PB

  8. Best advice is to get rid of clipless pedals and use plain pedals until the pain goes, no big
    gears, stand climbing and when you go back to spds etc. mimic the angle your feet have taken up on
    plain pedals.

  9. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    I raised my saddle about an inch and went out with the Grampian CTC today for about 50 miles and my
    knee's fine. Fingers crossed, touch wood etc.

    Thanks, John "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have just bought a second hand Trek 1200 racing bike, now I've been cycling regulary again for a
    > couple of years, mostly on a hybrid but I
    also
    > have a Scott pro racing bike for summer-time. Anyway I've been on the Trek
    2
    > or 3 times now and I've started getting a sore left knee ? Any ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks, John

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:20:18 +0000 (UTC), "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I raised my saddle about an inch and went out with the Grampian CTC today for about 50 miles and my
    >knee's fine. Fingers crossed, touch wood etc.

    That's the normal advice, but check http://www.wrenchscience.com and do their bike fit thingy - it's
    pretty reliable and should help yu ensure that all the components are in the right place.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.