knee pain question

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by fordguru, Jun 9, 2010.

1. fordguru

fordguru New Member

i have an issue with my knee. it has a small catch in it at the top of the downstroke. pain is more noticable when applying more force. no visable swelling and it doesnt seem to be irratating it much by riding easy at high rpm's. i am at a spot i worked hard to get to in my training and just killing me to stay off the bike. i am going to make a doctor appointment tommorrow for asap. hoping friday. anyone else had something similar?

:confused:

Tags:

2. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

I'm kinda right there with ya, but mine tends to go away after about 15-20 minutes of warm up or riding.

if I hit it hard right from the start of a ride, or to much power and to low a cadence it let's me know I'm NOT in charge. high cadence calms it right back down.

I wonder if it's arthritis, old age, old motocross injury, who knows. but I do wonder.

Hope all goes well for ya. ;)

3. fordguru

fordguru New Member

the pain seems to be easying up a bit. i have doc appt next wed in case i get pain from riding this weekend. i love how you posted your progress on blood pressure and pulse rate in you profile. nice progress! people seen the ice on my knee at work and says see what all that excersise will do to ya. they dont see those numbers. :D

4. Threshold

Threshold New Member

I'm actually starting to have knee problems as well but only on my right knee. I recently changed my pedals and cleats and it seems that I can't find the perfect position for them since they are highly adjustable, whereas my previous cleats were set to one position only.

Have you changed your shoes, pedals, crank, cleats... anything involving the motion of your legs?

Also... where is the pain exactly on your knee? Right in front, on the outer or inner part of the knee?

5. Threshold

Threshold New Member

In my research... I actually came across this which seems to help narrow down the cause of the pain...
    CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS -

6. fordguru

fordguru New Member

well after going to the doctor i got good news and bad. he said my knee is fine. no problems in the joint. i have inflamaion where the knee muscles overlap each other. this swells and creates pain. said to make better i would have to modify activity. ride less or none maybe for a bit.

i sure did work hard to build my aerobic base and was just starting to ramp up the intensity. standing in the pedals i tend to feel it the most. he did not give much other input. just to monitor it and adjust. i am iceing and taking naproxin to help. i am gonna ride and treat this to see if i can keep it in check.

i did get a new bike also and thats when my trouble started. i do not ignore this fact. i have put a good deal of effort into setting my mandone the same as my other bike.

7. jump_at_the_sun

jump_at_the_sun New Member

This sounds like what happened to me in February, although I had about 5 different diagnoses that were all very wrong. Riding along, felt pressure in my knee and pain on the down strokes but I felt like I could "ride it out" at higher RPMs. Then, a week after the first sign of pain, I tried doing a sprint and the pain on that first stroke was so bad I tried to scream but couldn't. I was really progressing well and then bam, torn patellar tendon. No walking for 6 weeks.

It's finally 5 months since this all happened and I'm finally feeling good about my knee and trying to get back to where I was in fitness. Of course, the bottom line is, get better soon and keep yourself busy so you'll stay sane out of the saddle!

8. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Raise your saddle a bit; it it's already too high (most people have their saddle too low), move your saddle forward a tad and then raise it a tad. "Spin" until symptoms disappear. Had similar problem

9. TKOS

TKOS New Member

Hello. I am just getting over some IT Band issues which show up as a knee pain symptom. I would feel it a bit on the bike, but quite a bit while running. I did everything I could based on IT Band solutions but eventually I went to see a Chiropractor/ Sports Doctor (he dabbles in lots of things). He video taped my running gait and found that my one side twisted while running (it was obvious on the tape). A few sessions with him to loosen things up and some exercises to do at home and I am on my way to a recovery.

This is something I have obviously had for awhile, but a switch to a new bike and a new style of running shoe, just really made the problem shine. So perhaps it is something wrong with a muscle group for you that is only showing up with increased activity and a switch in riding style. Mine showed no real swelling (just a bit) but some really good pain and pressure.

Often the area of pain is the symptom and you need to find the cause (for me actually the ankle and calf).

At the very least I would get into a really good stretching regime.

Oh and I still competed when i could but did very little training. Oddly enough I often performed better in my races (duathlons) than previous years. So don't worry about a short term rest if you need to.