Knee pain --- To spin or not to spin, that is the question!

mikael17128

Aug 7, 2004
Before I began serious longer distance cycling my left knee had just the hint of a smidgen of pain every now and again. When I started 40+ mile rides, I wore a knee brace and then, 6 months later, the tiny pain had disappeared both while riding and not riding.

Over the next 2 years, I found that when I apply more pressure to the pedals the pain had a tendency to return. I have done 200 miles per week and 200 mile rides on a single day without incidence --- All I have to do is spin “gently”. Recently I went from a 2 morning rides of 40 miles per week, spinning with high RPM’s, to x5 morning rides per week of 40 miles hammering medium RPM’s and bigger gears. Hills I had been riding in a 34/27 I now ride in a 39/21. The speed and VO2 I have been able to work up to are compelling!!! Not only am I faster on a bike, I have the energy of youth during the rest of the day. I must have more!!! Guess what…my knee hurts again.

My question is: Can I ride through this pain like I did when I first started longer distances??? Do I just need to strengthen whatever muscles used for riding which will allow the bones to track properly and not irritate the cartilage behind the knee? Does anyone have any similar experiences that have resolved themselves without easing back on the training? If I continue to use the big gears and apply pressure can I do permanent damage to the cartilage? I am 39 and will gladly spin slower! My goal is to stay in the game until I’m an old man. On the other hand, I also enjoy ignoring terrain which used to cause me to get out of breath J.

Mike W.

Some knee-strengthening exercises will probably help as well as glucosamine on a daily basis. Also, are you hammering away at your knees every day or taking rest periods occasionally?
Find ways to vary your training so the joints don't get the same repetition i.e. the odd day on a stationary trainer, another day strengthening the joints, another day spinning and another day pushing bigger gears.
Variety should stop joints been literally worn down.

mikael17128 said:
Before I began serious longer distance cycling my left knee had just the hint of a smidgen of pain every now and again. When I started 40+ mile rides, I wore a knee brace and then, 6 months later, the tiny pain had disappeared both while riding and not riding.

Over the next 2 years, I found that when I apply more pressure to the pedals the pain had a tendency to return. I have done 200 miles per week and 200 mile rides on a single day without incidence --- All I have to do is spin “gently”. Recently I went from a 2 morning rides of 40 miles per week, spinning with high RPM’s, to x5 morning rides per week of 40 miles hammering medium RPM’s and bigger gears. Hills I had been riding in a 34/27 I now ride in a 39/21. The speed and VO2 I have been able to work up to are compelling!!! Not only am I faster on a bike, I have the energy of youth during the rest of the day. I must have more!!! Guess what…my knee hurts again.

My question is: Can I ride through this pain like I did when I first started longer distances??? Do I just need to strengthen whatever muscles used for riding which will allow the bones to track properly and not irritate the cartilage behind the knee? Does anyone have any similar experiences that have resolved themselves without easing back on the training? If I continue to use the big gears and apply pressure can I do permanent damage to the cartilage? I am 39 and will gladly spin slower! My goal is to stay in the game until I’m an old man. On the other hand, I also enjoy ignoring terrain which used to cause me to get out of breath J.

Mike W.

The pain is telling you that the knee is rejecting the amount of use it's getting. In time, tolerance increases and you can then get away with cycling harder and more often. For now, it makes sense to take heed of the pain and find ways to get your workouts without the knees suffering inflammation.

mikael17128 said:

Mike W.

Carrera said:
Some knee-strengthening exercises will probably help as well as glucosamine on a daily basis. Also, are you hammering away at your knees every day or taking rest periods occasionally?
Carrera said:
Find ways to vary your training so the joints don't get the same repetition i.e. the odd day on a stationary trainer, another day strengthening the joints, another day spinning and another day pushing bigger gears.

Variety should stop joints been literally worn down.

Fine advice indeed! I will make a conscious effort to alternate between spinning and hammering (one day spin, the next push). Hopefully that will fix the problem!

I am fairly vigilant about Glucosamine and leg strengthening exercises and stretching. I work x300 leg raises per day and stretch for about 20 minutes. I also work x200 specialized leg raises to strengthen the MTO muscle.

For what it’s worth, my schedule is x5 ride (MTuWThF), x2 rest (Sat/Sun). Are you saying that I should take a week or two off without riding at all?

Carrera, is that Ray or Mike? Sad that they are both dead... I am heavy duty all the way... :)

If it's any comfort to you, I have had knee problems too. I used to get crackling and tenderness around the whole joint. This has gone now.
Maybe read Paula Radcliffs autobiography as she had lots of injuries -it may give you hope to see it's not just you - all athletes have problems occasionally.
Common sense is all that's needed. What is your body telling you? Are you cycling in the same way too often? Are you pounding up hills day after day and overloading your joints too much, too soon?
If your knees are hinting you should back off a little, heed what they say and then ease back in later on.
All in all, cycling isn't hard on the joints. In time, your knees will level out. Just make sure you take the odd rest day and alternate the stress levels.

mikael17128 said:

Fine advice indeed! I will make a conscious effort to alternate between spinning and hammering (one day spin, the next push). Hopefully that will fix the problem!

I am fairly vigilant about Glucosamine and leg strengthening exercises and stretching. I work x300 leg raises per day and stretch for about 20 minutes. I also work x200 specialized leg raises to strengthen the MTO muscle.

For what it’s worth, my schedule is x5 ride (MTuWThF), x2 rest (Sat/Sun). Are you saying that I should take a week or two off without riding at all?

I'm having minor discomfort too when doing longer rides and hammering more. My pain is on my right knee, on the outside of the knee, slightly above the kneecap. Almost seems like the ACL. It doesn't last long after im off the bike. It seems to start after 10 miles or so. Is this the same area you are having problems?

scottmilk9 said:
I'm having minor discomfort too when doing longer rides and hammering more. My pain is on my right knee, on the outside of the knee, slightly above the kneecap. Almost seems like the ACL. It doesn't last long after im off the bike. It seems to start after 10 miles or so. Is this the same area you are having problems?
I've been playing with my seat position and I was able to obtain that exact pain you mentioned in my left knee. Needless to say I changed it again and got a different pain. Odd thing is each time it is in a different spot but never in both knees at the same time :confused:
Oh well, sooner or later I'll find the sweet spot. Hmm, I wonder if that's what gay dudes call it...