knee pain

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Speedckr, May 12, 2010.

1. Speedckr

Speedckr New Member

:confused: I noticed yesterday on my longest ride to date, 22 miles, that the outside of my knee was tweaked. Today on my normal 12 mile daily route, I noticed a tweak on the outside of my knee while powering up hills. I have no other pain except going up hill. I have clipless pedals and have been riding for about three weeks. Is my knee weak, do I need rest?

Tags:

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

could be a cleat position problem. I would go to the LBS and have them take a look and make sure your knee is tracking properly.

What kind of pedal system are you using? Is there any float? Your LBS might suggest that you go with a pedal/cleat with more float if you currently don't have any.

3. Trasker4

Trasker4 New Member

When you say you have been riding 3 weeks is that 3 weeks using clipless pedals or 3 weeks of riding?

In any either case this pain you are describing on the outside of your knee may be ITB syndrome. Do a search of "cycling ITB syndrome" for more info. I too had this lateral knee pain and it usually came on after 20-25 miles. I had to adjust my seat height, fore/aft position as well as cleat position to eliminate it.

4. Speedckr

Speedckr New Member

I have only been riding about three weeks. I can feel it when Im climbing, its not too bad just a tweek but its there. I have speed play X5 pedals, I will try to adjust the cleat and seat.

5. mymilkexpired

mymilkexpired New Member

Sounds like you need to be fit on the bike. Don't mess around with knee pain. It only takes a little bit of damage to really set this down a bad path.

I broke my femur and knee about 10 years ago. Still dealing with lingering issues today after 3 knee surgeries later... The other poster mentioning cleat position/float is very valid. You could have your cleats positioned to far left/right causing alignment issues once your muscles start to warmed up. You may also be over extending your leg position if you have your seat height too high.