Knee pain

Icy hot will work in a pinch but you should try something with a compression sleeve. You know those sleeves that basketball players wear on their arms? I used to think it was for show or a fashion statement but it helps with the aches and pains and blood flow as well. If you're experiencing joint problems this might be the way to go.

Compression sleeves are helpful because they reduce our effort, I am using one in my arm because of my tennis elbow.

Well, they are common and you don't need to worry about them. It is temporary and it will fade after some time (when you will be habituated).

Basically we should not ignore it and we should do something about it or else it will just be worse over time.

I have been battling knee pain for what seems like my entire life and it is really tough when it acts up in the middle of a ride or any physical activity for that matter. I have used a lot of therapies and medicines and I always just come back to stretching being the most important thing. You have to be smart though because some of the knee stretches can really aggravate the pain if you are not careful. Outside of that I tried an acupressure mat a couple of months ago and it worked pretty well more my pain at night.

Basically we should not ignore it and we should do something about it or else it will just be worse over time.

As I had posted in another thread, there is a swelling in my leg, right at the back of the shin. It looks like muscle bulge and it's painful. But it goes away once in a while so the occurrence of the symptom is occasional. And what you said about ignoring, that's what the doctor told me - it is good that I have played caution instead of ignoring because it might be something else and I would regret when it gets worse. As for the swelling in my leg, it doesn't appear when I don't abuse my leg.

Many times diagnose is the most important as we can get a wrong diagnose and we won't improve because of it.

Do not ignore knee pain. Go and see a health provider to make sure it is not chronic pain. My knees are very bad from playing sports my entire life and I can barely jump because of how sever the pain is. If it is bad like mines, the doctor will suggest knee surgery. However, I refuse surgery because I don't like to go through the process of healing

Pains are warning signs and surely should not be ignored. We need to watch over our body to be able to be fit longer.

You need to take breaks to let your body repair itself more often, the knee pain is likely because of sharp turns or something similar. I'd definitely go with an ice pack or a good old bag of cold peas to eaze the pain and also take a few days off, which isn't an option by the way seeing as you'll just do your body more damage if you continue.

Yep, that is true. Sometimes we can train with pain and that causes no harm, in other cases we do need to take breaks.

I had chronic knee pain and swelling for 8 years, I kept going to my doctor and he kept saying there was nothing wrong with it and I was too young to have a joint problem, after 8 years I saw a different doctor who sent me for an MRI and found I had torn cartilage and a cyst in my knee and so I had to have surgery. If your pain is chronic get it checked out, years of walking heavily on my good leg to compensate for the bad one has left me with back problems.

Reactions: oportosanto
That's why it's so important a second opinion, I can't even imagine 8 years in pain!!!

That's why it's so important a second opinion, I can't even imagine 8 years in pain!!!

It left me feeling very angry with my original doctor, I had sustained the injury at 16 and he just kept dismissing me. Having said that all the other doctors I have seen have been fantastic and since the surgery I am pain free!

Reactions: oportosanto
Exactly, I'd be furious too, I mean, 8 years it's a long long time and we could have been living a totally different life.

If you are not used to it.. or you are abusing your body.. dont bike too much your body might collapse..

I glide a lot and never put a lot of pressure on my knees. I never stand up on the bike and bike that way because that puts so much more pressure on me so I had to install another seat on mine that was more padded. Just make sure you feel pain to not stop, cause that will cause it too lock up even more, but just take it easier until it starts to soothe a bit more.