Knee pain

My doctor once recommended a simple exercise where I sit on a chair and just extend my leg out straight 20 times on each side. I do this before and after any type of exercise. Sometimes on a long ride, I will take a break and do it as well. It doesn't alleviate all knee pain, but I know that it makes my knees a lot less tight. Might be worth a shot!

If you are not used to it.. or you are abusing your body.. dont bike too much your body might collapse..

I don't think we should get used to pain, we should try to understand why is happens because health comes first.

I think you will get that pain if you have not using your bike for a while. A bag of ice will help to ease the pain. Try to use other bikes to know if your knees is not really comfortable to bike.

I have knee pains mainly because I have Osgood-Schlatter disease, which affects my left knee, but the pain is tolerable and quickly recovers after a nice rest, and only happens when I ride for a very long distance.

Knee pain in general should be treated with alternating ice and heat compress. Before you go out and ride, make sure to stretch a bit first, as pushing it would strain your joints, especially in your leg area. Take it easy for a few days, and it will be gone before you know it.

Yeah. Hot and cold compress can alleviate the pain. You should really stretch before starting cycling specially if you are just starting in this sport or haven't done this in a long time. Any types of exercises should be first started with warm-ups such as stretching and cool-down exercises after the vigorous exercise to avoid straining the body.

Knee Pain Prevention

Of course, what you do on your bike will also go a long way to promoting or alleviating knee pain. Here are some tips to assure it's the latter.
  • Warm Up
  • Spin
  • Build Mileage Gradually
  • Beware of Change
  • Stay Warm
  • Get Fit

I do gentle stretching before riding my cycle. When muscles are used without proper stretching, they sometime become injured and possibly cause bone pain. I don't know the same case is going with your knee, but I do believe in following the best practices such as good posture, stretching and healthy diet can help you in overcoming that pain. If these don't relieve pain, the visiting a physiotherapist is a better option.

Oh, I see. So you're experiencing knee pain on a fixed gear, huh? And you think a bigger frame is the culprit. *eye roll* Have you considered that it might be user error? Maybe try actually fitting the bike to your body, not the other way around. Just a thought.