Knee pain

brakebreaker101

Sep 29, 2011
I know there is a lot of info all over the place on knee pain/injuries on a fixed gear but I haven't seen anything quite like what I'm feeling. I know how important fit is and my bike is just a little large for me (it's a 58 and I fit a 56). After a long ride I feel some pain in my right knee coming from the left side of my knee. My reach is a little long but my seat height is pretty good. Anyone have any tips for what they have done and had good luck with? If I'm asking in the wrong place could you direct me to a better place to ask? Thanks, Phil

I've dealt with knee pain before I think the best way to get over it is to just work through it but scratching is probably the number one thing that is really help me over the years. I think stretching is probably the number one thing that you can do to make sure that your joints are up to date and make sure that they stay feeling good at all times.

Do you suppose an Icey hot might help relieve it? Maybe a knee brace while you ride, just until you get used to it?

I've read somewhere that letting your legs "coast" while your bike is moving is actually theraputic for your joints, but maybe it does not apply to everyone.

One possible cause of your discomfort is that you are stopping too hard. Do you have a front brake? Maybe you should consider installing one until your knees get used to the pressure.

Reactions: steve
How old are you? If you are younger your joints and bones may just need to adjust to this new physical activity. I personally experienced knees pain when I was younger, but I decided to not do any physical activity and ice it for 2 days straight. That pretty much did the trick for me. Now I do crossfit after my bikes and my knees never hurt.

How old are you? If you are younger your joints and bones may just need to adjust to this new physical activity. I personally experienced knees pain when I was younger, but I decided to not do any physical activity and ice it for 2 days straight. That pretty much did the trick for me. Now I do crossfit after my bikes and my knees never hurt.

Reactions: egrocket

You get a lot of knee pain if you haven't cycled in awhile or if they are weak. It is normal to have some knee pain as it is eminent that you knees are breaking down from the bumbps and such from the ride.

egrocket said:
I agree to the question on the age. If you are 40 years old then it might be arthritis or any other disease connected to bones or joints. I am not scaring you, sorry about it. But if you are young then that wouldn't be much of a problem, just a posture problem I guess. But icing the knee for 2 days? That may be a swollen tendon and if it is then it's tendonitis. We have a herb here that we use for healing that kind of problem.

Working through it really seems to be the best way to do it. I know that it sounds incredibly painful at this point (I have gone through it myself), but if you don't work through it, the pain will just continue longer and become sharper.

I have suffered from keen pain for the better par of my life, and it has always been frustrating and difficult to deal with and I have tried a lot of different things to combat it. I am not a big pill fan, so I avoid that, but I have found that stretching and heavy massages really do help especially when the pain kicks in. I did acupuncture as well and that felt amazing and helped for a good couple of weeks.

I dislocated both my knees when I was young. So cycling can be a bother sometimes. How I cope with it is making sure to take good long breaks between cycles and to exercise them a lot. If I don't do that, they sometimes give out while I'm cycling and possibility is that I will hurt myself so I have to take extra precautions.

I had knee pain before. But only happened after not cycling for a good while. I think your problem comes from the reach, since It doesn't fit properly for your size, you put some effort at the expense of your comfort.

This could also have something to do with posture but you might be grinding on your cartilage too. I can't say for sure but dig the pain to its source, dont let it slip or you could regret it!

When we start to have problems with our joints we need to be very careful as they can become chronic. We need to solve them and not push it.

Knee pain in general should be treated with alternating ice and heat compress. Before you go out and ride, make sure to stretch a bit first, as pushing it would strain your joints, especially in your leg area. Take it easy for a few days, and it will be gone before you know it.

That's one big truth, ice is good virtually to everything. Usually I make 20 minutes ice and rest 30 minutes and I do it as often as I can, when I have the need.

What is your fitness level like? Are you riding regularly? If you aren't, it could just be that your body is trying to get used to it. If you have been riding for a while, and if the pain affects other parts of your life, then I would recommend seeing your GP about it, as there is a chance that you could be suffering for no reason. My mum had this issue, and she had a simple operation to trim some of the ligaments in her knee, and she is so much better now, and can do pretty much anything with it!

It can go both ways that's true, but I think it's unlikely that it's the body getting accustomed to it because the knee really doesn't have any muscle because it's a joint...