Knee Pain

Samantha

Guest
Hello, I am after some advice with regards to knee pain which I am suffering with at the moment.
Prior to Christmas I had been jogging (only 3-5 miles at a time) for about six months. In December I
went for a short run and seemed fine but the following day I experienced severe pain in my left
knee, predominately at the side. This has continued from then on and I am uanble to walk quickly or
run, without experiecing pain. I have been to my GP, who recommended physio-therapy but I have been
on a waiting list for for several weeks now. I wonder if anyone could recommend anyting or offer any
advice in the meantime. I am keen to get back out there ASAP.

Thanks.

Samantha

Are you still using the same shoes you started out with?

--
Colm

"Samantha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Hello, I am after some advice with regards to knee pain which I am suffering with at the moment.
: Prior to Christmas I had been jogging (only 3-5 miles at a time) for about six months. In December
: I went for a short run and seemed fine but the following day I experienced severe pain in my left
: knee, predominately at the side. This has continued from then on and I am uanble to walk quickly
: or run, without experiecing pain. I have been to my GP, who recommended physio-therapy but I have
: been on a waiting list for for several weeks now. I wonder if anyone could recommend anyting or
: offer any advice in the meantime. I am keen to get back out there ASAP.
:
: Thanks.
:
: Samantha

you could get a physio session privately to at least get some diagnosis and advice on what to do
while waiting for that elusive NHS appointment.....in fact I'd strongly recommend this. Armed with
more knowledge, you may be able to badger your GP for appropriate treatment or get your private
healthcare to help (if you have it).

(OK I'm biased....I have been waiting for 1 year for my NHS physio appointment....however 2 weeks
ago my knee finally refused to work at all any more and private healthcare came to the
rescue.....seen consultant, operation next day, walking 2 days later and 1 physio session all within
10 days of getting the referral to the private consultant)

"C.G." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are you still using the same shoes you started out with?
>
> --
> Colm
>

> "Samantha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> : Hello, I am after some advice with regards to knee pain which I am suffering with at the moment.
> : Prior to Christmas I had been jogging (only 3-5 miles at a time) for about six months. In
> : December I went for a short run and seemed fine but the following day I experienced severe pain
> : in my left knee, predominately at the side. This has continued from then on and I am uanble to
> : walk quickly or run, without experiecing pain. I have been to my GP, who recommended physio-
> : therapy but I have been on a waiting list for for several weeks now. I wonder if anyone could
> : recommend anyting or offer any advice in the meantime. I am keen to get back out there ASAP.
> :
> : Thanks.
> :
> : Samantha

Hey Samantha,

Suffering (on and off) from two knee problems myself. The one you're talking about could be a couple
of things but sounds like a tight ITB.

You could try stretching it, there should be some web sites out there that show stretches but the
one I was recommended by my physio was to kneel down with the left knee on the ground and the right
knee bent at 90 deg (kneeling on one knee). Now if you can imagine this, it's rather hard to explain
but you want to try rotating your pelvis upwards (clench your bum). The ITB is really hard to
stretch and you might not notice that much of a stretch going on but hold it for 30 seconds and do
it 30 times a day. Check the web anyway, stretching's not going to harm it so give it a go whilst
your waiting, but like I said it could be anything from friction to loose cartilage.

Good luck with it all,

Karl

"Samantha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I am after some advice with regards to knee pain which I am suffering with at the moment.
> Prior to Christmas I had been jogging (only 3-5 miles at a time) for about six months. In December
> I went for a short run and seemed fine but the following day I experienced severe pain in my left
> knee, predominately at the side. This has continued from then on and I am uanble to walk quickly
> or run, without experiecing pain. I have been to my GP, who recommended physio-therapy but I have
> been on a waiting list for for several weeks now. I wonder if anyone could recommend anyting or
> offer any advice in the meantime. I am keen to get back out there ASAP.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Samantha

Thank you for responding to my message.

Funny you should mention 'wearing the same shoes'.

No, in fact, the last time I was able to run (prior to the injury) was the first time I had jogged
in one partiular pair of trainers.

Do you think this could have caused the problem?

Samantha

I think it's important that you wear good quality running shoes and that they're the right type of
shoe for the way you run, your build, running surface etc.... Wearing the wrong (or badly worn)
shoes can do damage. It may or may not have caused or exacerbated your injury, but wearing the right
shoes is a good place to start for preventing injury. If you haven't done so already, go to a proper
running shop and get yourself tested for shoe type.

Others more knowledgeable than me may want to chime in here....