Knee pains

Originally posted by TTRon
I have been experiencing pain on the right side of my right knee. The doctor tested both legs and found that the left was stronger than the right (depressing the clutch for so many years). He recommended the following;!

Don't underestimate the benefits of icing!:)

My story: I have been riding for just over 3 months now, and have just hit 2000km on my bike. Before this, I never rode, only walked, and did bag work (kickboxing) from time to time. Now that I find my endurance is pretty good, I have started working on strengh and speed - so I headed off to the hills.

The hill I use the most is a place called MT Cootha in Brisbane. It is a 2km climb, at 10%. I have done that climb 3 times now, then headed out yesterday morning, and did 30 minutes at nearby Mt Nebo before joining in the normal sunday morning ride. It was a great ride, and I contested a few sprints, as I had the day before. During the ride, I found I was starting to develop a pain at the back of my right knee. I am pretty certain it is a tendon or ligament that is causing me the trouble.

I think this is normal adjustment to a much heavier load then my body is used to. I am stressing it much harder then before, and I would expect my body to adjust over time. I did have bad knee pain in my right knee before, but it turned out to be bad adjustment of the cleat on my shoe. Problem solved.

Being a newbie, is it right to expect this kind of thing from time to time ?? I tend to go pretty hard, but have been keeping in mind that it takes years to develop the body properly for cycling. I am having a day off today - and perhaps tomorrow as well, and will do stretching in the meantime. Also using DEEP HEAT style products on it. Am I missing anything???

Mike