Knee Problems, help.

taylord652

Aug 7, 2010
So I've got a weak feeling (it's not painful) on the inside of my knee (occasionally outside aswell) the problem started after i decided to increase my training, went from doing 150k's a week to 300k's a week. I've tried resting it, took 9 days off and no improvement, just wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what to do to get rid of the weak feeling. I'm only 16 to if that helps at all and i've been cycling for about a year now.

Thanks in advance.

Heck, I can barely remember what it was like to be 16! I'd get thee to a sports med doctor or good PT person and get evaluated. I'd also look at bike fit, cadence and your use of gearing to achieve it. You doubled your training in one step, and that may have been too radical a change. Think ramp, not shelf.

taylord652 said:
So I've got a weak feeling (it's not painful) on the inside of my knee (occasionally outside aswell) the problem started after i decided to increase my training, went from doing 150k's a week to 300k's a week. I've tried resting it, took 9 days off and no improvement, just wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what to do to get rid of the weak feeling. I'm only 16 to if that helps at all and i've been cycling for about a year now.

Thanks in advance.

Taylord,

I messed my knees at a relatively young age (26) from over use and as a consequence had to stop running, skiing, playing basketball, etc (forever). I am still able to cycle but must be very careful with my training in order to avoid issues with my knees. Doubling your mileage over night was a mistake. You need to slowly up your mileage and intensity.

You should have your parents take you to see a doctor and get checked out. At the very least you don't want to get back on the bike until you are 100% pain free. Don't want to take risks with your knees. It's pretty easy to do stuff to your knees that will result in long term consequences. You say this has been going on for 4 weeks? Have you been cycling during that time? You never ever want to cycle with any knee pain at all.

rich88 said:
Taylord,

I messed my knees at a relatively young age (26) from over use and as a consequence had to stop running, skiing, playing basketball, etc (forever). I am still able to cycle but must be very careful with my training in order to avoid issues with my knees. Doubling your mileage over night was a mistake. You need to slowly up your mileage and intensity.

You should have your parents take you to see a doctor and get checked out. At the very least you don't want to get back on the bike until you are 100% pain free. Don't want to take risks with your knees. It's pretty easy to do stuff to your knees that will result in long term consequences. You say this has been going on for 4 weeks? Have you been cycling during that time? You never ever want to cycle with any knee pain at all.

yeah, i have been cycling in that time, but i have been taking it easy, i'm going to a physio A.S.A.P. It also inst really painful, it's just a weak feeling in one knee.

i have never experienced such thing, i think it might be psychological to some extent. If there is no pain then forget about it. Injuries and pain allways come together. A consultation with a physician is important anyway, good luck

taylord652 said:

Thanks in advance.

You're probably asking too much doubling your mileage (kilometerage?) like that. Go back to 150kms and take it from there.

Also, if you train in miles it seems like you're only doing just over half the work... :p

taylord652 said:

Thanks in advance.

yea you did too much at once take it easy for a while you should be alright after a while ;)

If you getting swelling, I'd probably get it checked. You're a little young to just let it go. If you stop having issues with the swelling, I would just look to take it easy for a bit, and ramp up your durations a bit more slowly when you decide to make future jumps.

This is a big jump. 150k to 300k in a week. Eat better and detoxify. Weak sounds like not eating enough. Doubling up on distance so fast. Its going to happen. Doing a different exercise can often work it out. Eliptical or whatever you can. Still want to keep going. Movement really helps this kind of thing. Atrophy and doing nothing can prolong the situation. Gradual increase of distance and time is always better. Too hard too fast usually makes some kind of a problem.

This is a big jump. 150k to 300k in a week. Eat better and detoxify. Weak sounds like not eating enough. Doubling up on distance so fast. Its going to happen. Doing a different exercise can often work it out. Eliptical or whatever you can. Still want to keep going. Movement really helps this kind of thing. Atrophy and doing nothing can prolong the situation. Gradual increase of distance and time is always better. Too hard too fast usually makes some kind of a problem.

6 years ago...Either his knees fine by now, he had surgery, or it fell off..