Knee Problems - lateral release / medial reefing

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kevin Lutz, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Kevin Lutz

    Kevin Lutz Guest

    I started to have knee problems back in April and had to stop riding. I just started light riding
    again, but knee pain is resuming. I've been working with an Orthopaedic Surgeon and P.T. the whole
    time. They are now recommending a lateral release and medial reefing to bring my knee cap back into
    alignment.

    I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has undergone this surgery (good or bad).

    Thanks, Kevin

    Tags:

  2. Kevin Lutz wrote:
    > I started to have knee problems back in April and had to stop riding. I just started light riding
    > again, but knee pain is resuming. I've been working with an Orthopaedic Surgeon and P.T. the whole
    > time. They are now recommending a lateral release and medial reefing to bring my knee cap back
    > into alignment.
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has undergone this surgery (good or bad).

    Been there done that... http://www.shavings.net/kneescope.htm GREAT results this last time
    around. 14 Mos post-op and I'm better than I have been for the past 10 years. turned in m
    handicapped placcards and everything, dont need them an more. stairs are still rough, but getting
    better all the time.

  3. "Kevin Lutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I started to have knee problems back in April and had to stop riding. I just started light riding
    > again, but knee pain is resuming. I've been working with an Orthopaedic Surgeon and P.T. the whole
    > time. They are now recommending a lateral release and medial reefing to bring my knee cap
    back
    > into alignment.
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has undergone this surgery (good or bad).
    >
    > Thanks, Kevin

    I was in the same situation last spring. Since we were coming into biking season (and I had spent my
    previous summer building a house and NOT riding) my doctor and I decided to do everything we could
    (non-surgical) for the summer and re-evaluate in the fall That has include Glucosimine/Condroiten,
    orthodic, more leg work at the gym, lots of mtb, much less basketball, and more stretching. As long
    as I keep the basketball to a reasonable level, my knee is ok. There is a lot of informaiton on line
    about the lateral release, good luck.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado