Knee Problems - lateral release / medial reefing

Kevin Lutz

Guest
I started to have knee problems back in April and had to stop riding. I just started light riding
again, but knee pain is resuming. I've been working with an Orthopaedic Surgeon and P.T. the whole
time. They are now recommending a lateral release and medial reefing to bring my knee cap back into
alignment.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has undergone this surgery (good or bad).

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin Lutz wrote:
> I started to have knee problems back in April and had to stop riding. I just started light riding
> again, but knee pain is resuming. I've been working with an Orthopaedic Surgeon and P.T. the whole
> time. They are now recommending a lateral release and medial reefing to bring my knee cap back
> into alignment.
>
> I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has undergone this surgery (good or bad).

Been there done that... http://www.shavings.net/kneescope.htm GREAT results this last time
around. 14 Mos post-op and I'm better than I have been for the past 10 years. turned in m
handicapped placcards and everything, dont need them an more. stairs are still rough, but getting
better all the time.

"Kevin Lutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I started to have knee problems back in April and had to stop riding. I just started light riding
> again, but knee pain is resuming. I've been working with an Orthopaedic Surgeon and P.T. the whole
> time. They are now recommending a lateral release and medial reefing to bring my knee cap
back
> into alignment.
>
> I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has undergone this surgery (good or bad).
>
> Thanks, Kevin

I was in the same situation last spring. Since we were coming into biking season (and I had spent my
previous summer building a house and NOT riding) my doctor and I decided to do everything we could
(non-surgical) for the summer and re-evaluate in the fall That has include Glucosimine/Condroiten,
orthodic, more leg work at the gym, lots of mtb, much less basketball, and more stretching. As long
as I keep the basketball to a reasonable level, my knee is ok. There is a lot of informaiton on line
about the lateral release, good luck.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado