Knee Protection Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

x

Just did a little do-it-yourself invasive knee surgery on Thanksgiving morning.

Second time this year for that knee.....and last year it was a punctured shin. This one is fairly
gross - a crater-like hole about 3/4" in diameter right down to the tendon sheath with a pocket of
separated flesh about 3" in diameter around the area - sort of blows up like somebody's cheek when
hosed out with water.

I'm getting that "Darwin Awards Candidate" feeling.

Accordingly, at least in cool weather, I think I'll start wearing some sort of knee protection under
my trousers.

Went over to the local Sports Authority, tried on some rollerblading pads but they don't seem like
they'll work for cycling. The velcro tabs used to secure them rub the back of the leg when taking a
full stroke. Hockey pads looked like the right idea: something that affixes to the shin for
stability, then positions the knee pad over the knee without having to tie it around where the
motion is...but they're way bulky.

Thoughts? Experiences?
--
PeteCresswell

RE/
> Experiences?

I should add, I'm 6'5" - about 220#...not *real* thick legs...but thick enough that I'm not heading
down to the local BMX shop with high hopes.
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just did a little do-it-yourself invasive knee surgery on Thanksgiving
morning.
>
> Second time this year for that knee.....and last year it was a punctured
shin.
> This one is fairly gross - a crater-like hole about 3/4" in diameter right
down
> to the tendon sheath with a pocket of separated flesh about 3" in diameter around the area - sort
> of blows up like somebody's cheek when hosed out
with
> water.
>
> I'm getting that "Darwin Awards Candidate" feeling.
>
> Accordingly, at least in cool weather, I think I'll start wearing some
sort of
> knee protection under my trousers.
>
> Went over to the local Sports Authority, tried on some rollerblading pads
but
> they don't seem like they'll work for cycling. The velcro tabs used to
secure
> them rub the back of the leg when taking a full stroke. Hockey pads
looked
> like the right idea: something that affixes to the shin for stability,
then
> positions the knee pad over the knee without having to tie it around where
the
> motion is...but they're way bulky.
>
> Thoughts? Experiences?
> --
> PeteCresswell

My personal favorite is the Fox 911 Knee/Shin protector. The new design looks promising. Stay away
from the older spandex sleeve type as they keep slipping down your leg. There are also good designs
from 661, Azonic and others

Look here http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm

Mike

Michael Dart murmured while asleep:
> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Just did a little do-it-yourself invasive knee surgery on Thanksgiving morning.
>>
>> Second time this year for that knee.....and last year it was a punctured shin. This one is fairly
>> gross - a crater-like hole about
>> 3/4" in diameter right down to the tendon sheath with a pocket of separated flesh about 3" in
>> diameter around the area - sort of blows up like somebody's cheek when hosed out with water.
>>
>> I'm getting that "Darwin Awards Candidate" feeling.
>>
>> Accordingly, at least in cool weather, I think I'll start wearing some sort of knee protection
>> under my trousers.
>>
>> Went over to the local Sports Authority, tried on some rollerblading pads but they don't seem
>> like they'll work for cycling. The velcro tabs used to secure them rub the back of the leg when
>> taking a full stroke. Hockey pads looked like the right idea: something that affixes to the shin
>> for stability, then positions the knee pad over the knee without having to tie it around where
>> the motion is...but they're way bulky.
>>
>> Thoughts? Experiences?
>> --
>> PeteCresswell
>
> My personal favorite is the Fox 911 Knee/Shin protector. The new design looks promising. Stay away
> from the older spandex sleeve type as they keep slipping down your leg. There are also good
> designs from 661, Azonic and others
>
> Look here http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm
>
> Mike

if you find something you like that's not quite right, I can tweak it for you.

Penny

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just did a little do-it-yourself invasive knee surgery on Thanksgiving
morning.

snip
>
> Thoughts? Experiences?
> --
> PeteCresswell

I've tried rollerblade pads, and a few different knee / shin pads,,,,,,,,,, lIke these the best.
Three velcro straps - easy on / off.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=PG707B05

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:41:45 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:

<SNIP>
>
>My personal favorite is the Fox 911 Knee/Shin protector. The new design looks promising. Stay away
>from the older spandex sleeve type as they keep slipping down your leg. There are also good designs
>from 661, Azonic and others
>
>Look here http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm
>
>Mike
>
Ditto on the Fox 911. Many of the other ones I tried where built more for the straight legged types
instead of some with bigger calves. The 911 fit quite well.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Michael Dart murmured while asleep: ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz....
<snip>
> > My personal favorite is the Fox 911 Knee/Shin protector. The new design looks promising. Stay
> > away from the older spandex sleeve type as they keep slipping down your leg. There are also good
> > designs from 661, Azonic and others
> >
> > Look here http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm
> >
> > Mike
>
> if you find something you like that's not quite right, I can tweak it for you.
>
> Penny
>
>

Speakin' of. Did you have any luck with that camera case?

Mike

Michael Dart murmured while asleep:
>>> Look here http://www.cambriabike.com/dh/dhgear.htm
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> if you find something you like that's not quite right, I can tweak it for you.
>>
>> Penny
>>
>>
>
> Speakin' of. Did you have any luck with that camera case?
>
> Mike

buried under skiwear and big custom stuff with no end in site...;-( (not yet)

Penny

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> Thoughts? Experiences?

I have some Azonic knee and shin pads from Jenson going right now. They work pretty well, and the
larges have plenty of "growing" room to them. They are OK in the comfort department. After you ride
a while, you don't notice them.
--
Jonesy

RE/
>My personal favorite is the Fox 911 Knee/Shin protector. The new design looks promising. Stay away
>from the older spandex sleeve type as they keep slipping down your leg. There are also good designs
>from 661, Azonic and others

The 911's arrive yesterday.

Did about an hour with them today on my singlespeed's maiden voyage.

Nice. I especially like the way they do the ankle connection. Easier to put on/off than the loop-
back strap I see on others.

These also look like the ticket for cold weather - they have a nice leg-warming effect if worn under
a pair of cargo pants.
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> RE/
>>My personal favorite is the Fox 911 Knee/Shin protector. The new design looks promising. Stay away
>>from the older spandex sleeve type as they keep slipping down your leg. There are also good
>>designs from 661, Azonic and others

I disagree. My Lycra 911s have no such slip issues, and they make an excellent leg warmer to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.