Knee Rehab

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jeremy Widner, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Hello All!

    I have a rehab question. I had ACL replacement surgery and minuscus repair on Jan 8th. I have been
    just released to ride again, all though only on paved trails for the time being. Any one have any
    good suggestions for getting back in trail shape without killing my knee?

    Thanks in advance

    Polardog

    Tags:

  2. "Jeremy Widner" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello All!
    >
    > I have a rehab question. I had ACL replacement surgery and minuscus repair on Jan 8th. I have been
    > just released to ride again, all though only on paved trails for the time being. Any one have any
    > good suggestions for getting back in trail shape without killing my knee?

    Fullsuspension bike, to ease the bumps (if you have one :)

    Warm up before riding

    Dont ride to high gears

    Correct seatheight

    Do some knee stretching out after riding

    Listen to your knee

    Just a few advice that im following myself.

    Beside that i workout my knees, just some simple excercises like one legged squat without
    any weights.

    Welcome back on the tracks :)

    Peter

  3. "Jeremy Widner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello All!
    >
    > I have a rehab question. I had ACL replacement surgery and minuscus repair on Jan 8th. I have been
    > just released to ride again, all though only on paved trails for the time being. Any one have any
    > good suggestions for getting back in trail shape without killing my knee?
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Polardog

    Get a road bike (god forbid) and ride is a lot, or just ride you mtb on the road. Easy way to build
    up leg strength without risking further injury. When you legs are strong, start in on the trails.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  4. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:19:19 +0200, Peter Tønnesen wrote:

    > "Jeremy Widner" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Hello All!
    >>
    >> I have a rehab question. I had ACL replacement surgery and minuscus repair on Jan 8th. I have
    >> been just released to ride again, all though only on paved trails for the time being. Any one
    >> have any good suggestions for getting back in trail shape without killing my knee?
    >
    > Fullsuspension bike, to ease the bumps (if you have one :)
    >
    > Warm up before riding
    >
    > Dont ride to high gears
    >
    > Correct seatheight
    >
    > Do some knee stretching out after riding
    >
    > Listen to your knee
    >
    > Just a few advice that im following myself.
    >
    > Beside that i workout my knees, just some simple excercises like one legged squat without any
    > weights.
    >
    > Welcome back on the tracks :)
    >
    > Peter

    I had a meniscus repair too. I wouldn't start with squats. Work on rebuilding your leg strength
    gradually. Overdoing it will just re-injure your knee. My othopedist had me doing leg extensions,
    but not bending beyond about 135 degrees. So just go from fully extended to about half way down.
    When that feels strong, start going down further. Always start with several light sets. Do leg curls
    too. The more muscle mass you have to stabilize your knee, the less likely you are to re-injure it.
    My operation was 2 years ago. Within the last 6 months I started with the one-legged squats, and now
    I can do regular squats with no problem. The key is to go slow, of course that probably depends a
    lot on age too, I'm 38.

    -Bruce

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    Jeremy Widner wrote:
    > Hello All!
    >
    > I have a rehab question. I had ACL replacement surgery and minuscus repair on Jan 8th. I have been
    > just released to ride again, all though only on paved trails for the time being. Any one have any
    > good suggestions for getting back in trail shape without killing my knee?

    BTDT:

    http://www.shavings.net/kneescope.htm