Knee warmers question

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by velobuff, Mar 3, 2005.

1. velobuff

velobuff New Member

I have a question. Since I live in Georgia, where it is never get "really cold", I am lucky to ride throughout entire winter just in jacket and combination of bib and leg warmers. But I noticed some roadies (specially pros) use knee warmers. How practical are those? Can anybody share their opinion?

Tags:

2. insung

insung New Member

I live in So. California where the weather is pretty similar to where you live. I used to use a pair of leg warmers but once I switched to knee warmers, I haven't gone back. They do the job of keeping the legs warm but I don't over heat once I warm up and start going. They're more adaptable that way. Borrow a pair from a friend and try em out.

3. Susan Repp

Susan Repp New Member

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm all I get is a picture of Jane Fonda doing aerobics .. really very scary, oh, Jane Fonda not you folks :eek:

4. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

Yo........coming from the Great White North I think I`m qualified to answer this question. Methinks the principle behind knee warmers is to keep the knees warm since they don`t have alot of flesh covering the tendon/ligaments which acts as a sort of a natural insulation.

Here I see folks go from bib tights on cold days to leg warmers to knee warmers then bare legs as the seasons warm up. Knee warmers are good for those early morning starts when it is cool only to be stuffed in a jersey pocket when the day(and knees) warm up.

If you think about the mechanics of cycling the knees are invaluable. Gotta take care of them.

5. Susan Repp

Susan Repp New Member

George I didn't need leg warmers today - sssssssoooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy ;) ;) ;) it was positively balmy out there - good ride but the Rockies are not done with us yet, we could get a darn good snow dumping in June! :mad:

6. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

Hmmmm........bare legs huh? Just shorts and a jersey......hmmmm......(Dev`s getting a nice visual). :D

Hmmmm....by any chance do you wear a blonde ponytail out the back of your helmet. I visualized you did....lol. ;)

In all seriousness.....awesome. Glad you got a good early season ride day.