Knee warmers

chico1st

Dec 1, 2007
Hey my knees get cold when I bike, i was wondering about getting knee warmers but does anyone have any recommendations on some?

do I have to wear shorts with them or can i wear them under my pants?
Thanks!

Wear them alone with 6 inch black heels ......

Under you shorts is the proper method. Lots of great brands, matter of how much you want to spend. Inexpensive, serviceable stuff available at Performance Bike.

Personally, I love Pearl Izumis line of arm/leg/knee warmers. They are a soft fleece on the inside and are very comfortable and warm. I am looking at getting a set of the Pearl knee warmers.

I bought a set of Trek leg warmers and hated them so much I had to buy some Pearl ones.

look for any of the ones made with roubaix fleece, the material on the outside is just like most shorts, and the inside is a thin soft fleece material, its my favorite fabric for warmers as its very comfortable and for most days even if it warms up a little bit they still feel good enough that I rarely take them off

My guess it that it would matter on the brand and your legs but for me I know that if I tried to wear them under a pair of loose leg pants they would probably slide down eventually with harder riding, if you talking something like tights or knickers then you would be fine but I put my knee or leg warmers under my shorts and that helps keep them in place.

I use those Defeet Kneekers....the heavier ones. Legs are warm down to 25 degrees or so. Just tuck em under your bib.

ok one question i have

i am having a lot of issues with keeping my knee warmers from sliding down when im not wearing compression shorts/tights.

So is the whole point of knee warmers to extend compression shorts? so would knee warmers and compression shorts just be the same thing as knickers (compression shorts past the knees)

chico1st said:
ok one question i have

i am having a lot of issues with keeping my knee warmers from sliding down when im not wearing compression shorts/tights.

So is the whole point of knee warmers to extend compression shorts? so would knee warmers and compression shorts just be the same thing as knickers (compression shorts past the knees)

I'll assume that by compression shorts, you mean bike shorts. The answer would be yes, then.

Knee warmers and shorts are not necessarily the same as knickers. Knickers usually have a thicker material than the run of the mill bike shorts, since knickers are intended to be used in cooler weather.

I have knickers and leg warmers. Leg warmers are knee warmers that go to the ankle. What I wear depends on the weather and the state of my laundry. For really cold stuff, I have a pair of Craft tights that I pull on over my shorts, shorts and leg warmers, or knickers. Again, the combo depends on the weather.

For trips to the coffee shop or trips to the dark side of town to watch Republican politicians try to score with little boys and transvestite prostitutes, I wear a keen set of knit purple leg warmers just like Jennifer Beals wore in Flashdance.

i dont see the point in wearing knee warmers - shorts for the summer - bibtights for the winter - 3/4 for spring / autumn -

steelem said:
i dont see the point in wearing knee warmers - shorts for the summer - bibtights for the winter - 3/4 for spring / autumn -

Ever start a 4 hour bike ride when it's cold and end it when it's much warmer? The whole point is that you want your knees warm when you start the ride and may want the option to shed them as you and the weather warm up.

Good knee warmers should not slide down, they have a silicone gripper strip around the top that is designed to keep them tacky against the skin. If you put them over shorts you will loose the adhesion.

steelem said:
Pro cyclists almost always cover their knees if the weather is under 60 degress F. Supposedly it's bad for your knees if they are not covered in cooler weather.

rudycyclist said:
Pro cyclists almost always cover their knees if the weather is under 60 degress F. Supposedly it's bad for your knees if they are not covered in cooler weather.

What the above two posts said.

capwater said:
Ever start a 4 hour bike ride when it's cold and end it when it's much warmer? The whole point is that you want your knees warm when you start the ride and may want the option to shed them as you and the weather warm up.

Good knee warmers should not slide down, they have a silicone gripper strip around the top that is designed to keep them tacky against the skin. If you put them over shorts you will loose the adhesion.
No i dont get cold before a cycle i simply wear the correct clothing to suit the weather oh & i dont go out early in the morning!!

steelem said:
No i dont get cold before a cycle i simply wear the correct clothing to suit the weather oh & i dont go out early in the morning!!

It must be nice, then, to live in a place that experiences such small temperature variations. Here, we can go from 38 degrees in the morning to 60+ in the afternoon. Now, which bit of clothing allows you to tolerate that range of temperature variation? Oh, that's right: it doesn't exist.

alienator said:
It must be nice, then, to live in a place that experiences such small temperature variations. Here, we can go from 38 degrees in the morning to 60+ in the afternoon. Now, which bit of clothing allows you to tolerate that range of temperature variation? Oh, that's right: it doesn't exist.
i live in the uk - its 0 deg at present - so i certainly wont be getting my shorts out until may - even then ill go out about 10am for 2-4hrs no problem - i suppose if your going out early then this may cause the cold start but hey why dont you wait till mid morning !!

steelem said:
i live in the uk - its 0 deg at present - so i certainly wont be getting my shorts out until may - even then ill go out about 10am for 2-4hrs no problem - i suppose if your going out early then this may cause the cold start but hey why dont you wait till mid morning !!

Have things to do. Want to take a long ride. All sorts of reasons.

If it's 55 degrees, I'll still wear the leg warmers until it warms up. Then I'll stop and remove 'em. Same with arm warmers, except those come off while riding. Heck, I've even been known to unzip my jersey a bit as I ride.

alienator said:
Have things to do. Want to take a long ride. All sorts of reasons.

If it's 55 degrees, I'll still wear the leg warmers until it warms up. Then I'll stop and remove 'em. Same with arm warmers, except those come off while riding. Heck, I've even been known to unzip my jersey a bit as I ride.
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR A BIT OF A ***** - 55 DEGREES & NEEDING LEG WARMERS - YOU MAKE ME LAUGH - THATS A HOT DAY TO US BRITS

steelem said:
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR A BIT OF A ***** - 55 DEGREES & NEEDING LEG WARMERS - YOU MAKE ME LAUGH - THATS A HOT DAY TO US BRITS

Golly. You're stud. Speaking of pussies, what about the **** that said this:

Still, I imagine with the prowess and he-manliness you've clearly demonstrated here, I'm sure you'll have the pic of litter when it comes to payin' for a transvestite for the night.

So, let's recap: you're not riding because why? It's cold? Wow. What a tough guy.

alienator said:
Golly. You're stud. Speaking of pussies, what about the **** that said this:

Still, I imagine with the prowess and he-manliness you've clearly demonstrated here, I'm sure you'll have the pic of litter when it comes to payin' for a transvestite for the night.

So, let's recap: you're not riding because why? It's cold? Wow. What a tough guy.
IVE BEEN RIDING 3 DAYS WITH THIS 0 DEGREE TEMP BUT I PREFER TOO LET THE RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC GET OUT THE WAY BEFORE I START SO - I GO OUT 10 -1030 ITS OBVIOUSLY A LITTLE WARMER PLUS IM LESS LIKELY TO GET KNOCKED OFF MY BIKE - WHATS SO TOUGH ABOUT THAT!! THEN AGAIN YOU H8 COMMON SENSE DONT YOU ROCKER MAN!!

steelem said:
IVE BEEN RIDING 3 DAYS WITH THIS 0 DEGREE TEMP BUT I PREFER TOO LET THE RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC GET OUT THE WAY BEFORE I START SO - I GO OUT 10 -1030 ITS OBVIOUSLY A LITTLE WARMER PLUS IM LESS LIKELY TO GET KNOCKED OFF MY BIKE - WHATS SO TOUGH ABOUT THAT!! THEN AGAIN YOU H8 COMMON SENSE DONT YOU ROCKER MAN!!

Man, who pulled your string, Ass Puppet? It was a good discussion right up until you decided that everyone needed to see just how big you think your **** is.

FWIW, some people have jobs and do other things during the day, Brenda. A lot of people don't have the casual life style and lack of responsibilities that you have.

Rocker man? Shouldn't you be studying for your high school classes?

alienator said:
Man, who pulled your string, Ass Puppet? It was a good discussion right up until you decided that everyone needed to see just how big you think your **** is.

FWIW, some people have jobs and do other things during the day, Brenda. A lot of people don't have the casual life style and lack of responsibilities that you have.

Rocker man? Shouldn't you be studying for your high school classes?

Yeah, and I bet he's such a stud he always stays in his 53 ring!!!! Gotta protect those knees, man. I want to be riding when i'm an old guy. This thread is over.