Knew I was going to do this someday...

endroll said:
when this happens don't stop
I thought for a minute you mean THIS was going into the horizontal track stand position.

I can imagine - laying there with the bike on top of you and still keep pedalling.

"Just part of my routine ma'am."

Very Cool!

Scotty

Jim Stokes said:
clipless (why do they call them that) pedals
Before clipless pedals we used to use clips and straps. Those two items, attached to quill pedals, combined with a cleat on the bottom of your shoe, would hold your feet in place. The problem with this system was that the strap would stretch and allow your feet to come flying out of the pedals, which meant that you cinched them down so tight you cut off circulation to your toes.

Way back when I got my first clips and straps (combined with tennis shoes!) I rode up to a sign trying to stop and use the sign so I would not have to unclip. Bike leaned the wrong way and I fell over. I was about 13 or 14 at the time and did this in front of a bunch of friends (one of whom I was very interested in).

Just two weekends ago I went riding with the kids at a local schoolyard. My son was riding his new bike trying to get used to a larger bike while my daughter was riding my son's old bike with training wheels. She turned too fast and fell over. I was turning left when i saw this so I clamped the brakes, tried to get my left foot out of the clipless pedal and found that I could not (I almost always unclip on the right when coming to a stop then take my time getting my left foot out so I guess this was not a natural motion for me). Dumped my month-old bike on the ground and just barely got unclipped in time to not hit the ground myself. My 4YO daughter saw the theatrics and was laughing while my son was in awe that I was still flexible enough to narrowly avoid falling on my rear.

Road Buzz said:
I am stationed in San Joaquin Valley, California--no rain, 95 deg F for 8.5 months; rain and constant fog/mist for 3.5 months. Off on my commute for what was to be the early and unanticipated end of the dry season at lunch time that day, I'm riding my bike home onto the normally hard-packed farm road--actually enjoying the cool mist--when I grind to a slow motion stop in about 2.5 inches of hard-packed turned mud... and too shocked to come free. .. The satisfaction of thinking that "at least no one saw me go down" is nullified when I ride into my neighborhood covered in mud. Their speculation worse than the reality...
Where in the San Joaquin? I'm in Clovis.

did it... coasting through a car lot, s-l-o-w right turn.... BOOM! In front of everyone; car salesmen, customers, my ego, etc... though I had only been using clipless for a few weeks at the time, it did not help.

It is a conditioned reflex to "twist" your foot out of a pedal.

Hey, I've done it without clipless, or straps etc. Just a regular pedal.

I was just about to stop - i knew the light was about to change so I thought I could do my usual trick which is to keep my balance and inch forward for 2-3 secs.

naaaaaaaa... splat!

Anyone else done this? 'Fess up.

I have done several dead cow's (thats what they call it out here) Mainly when coming to a stop and forgeting about clipping out. One time it was due to unclipping the right side and when coming to a stop leaning to the left DOH!!

The first time was on the old style (strap in) pedals.... tightened them down so much for the comming hill (Colorado Springs, Upper skyway, if you know the area), got to the stop light and forgot (as my lungs were about to burst:eek: ) to get my foot out and went over in ultra slow mode before there ever was ultra slow mode.

The last time was last winter while on rollers watching a good hockey game:D ... I tried to stop pedaling... so as to not shoot accross the room as I came off the rollers on the bike and fell onto the coffee table :mad: .... Good thing was that there weren't any witnesses :p

Cheers

Been there...1st day riding with clipless...riding a bike path through the woods that crossed several paved roads. Came to the edge and could hear a car coming...should have unclipped...but figured I would roll slow and wait for the car to pass. Car passes...roll forward looking behind it and ready to go...another car there...ooops...grab handful of brake. It was then that I remembered I hadn't unclipped. To make matter worse, I didn't just fall flat to the ground. There was a 2 foot deep ditch alongside the road that I fell off of the path into. So I am lying there in the ditch, still clipped to my bike with the bike sticking straight up in the air out of the ditch, and I can hear the guy in the truck that just passed laughing his a$$ off out the open window of the truck as he is shouting to ask if I am ok. I was physically unharmed, but it took quite some time and a thin putty knife to scrape the remains of my pride up off of the road.

Road Buzz said:
I'm more specifically at NAS Lemoore, south of Fresno--west of Hanford. --Buzz
We ride every weekend out of Woodward park in fresno. Anytime you want to hook up shoot an email. Normally do 40-70 miles.

I did it while test riding a bike. I wanted to get a road bike since my mtb never saw anything under the wheels that wasn't black. Took the bike out for a nice test ride on the few less trafficy roads. It was great. Time to head back to the shop, road up a hill to a stop sign at a very busy intersecton. Tried to unclip, couldn't. Turns out that the screws holding my cleats on the right shoe were loose. Thankfully fell to the right & onto the grass.

So now I'm on the ground with many cars driving by with my right foot still attached to the bike. I tried for a few very embarrasing minutes to unclip. Ended up untying my shoe to get out. I still couldn't get the shoe unclipped so I leaned up against the stop sign & put my foot back into the shoe.

I ended up riding back to the shop with a tight left foot & my right foot sloshing around. One last embarrasing moment as I had to hobble into the shop with my right shoe attached to the pedal.