Knicks- reduction in quality

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
I remember in about 1997, I bought knicks from a BikeForce store in Perth (Woodvale), with the BikeForce logo on each side. Made by Body Torque. These lasted a long time, endured countless washing in the machine on regular cycle without ever going thin. I re-sewed the inner seams about 4 times when the thread came apart, but the fabric itself retained its elasicity.
Now knicks don't last long at all. I find I have to wash them on "delicates" setting to ensure they won't lose their fit. Last night I washed my Body Torque bib knicks that I bought earlier this year. Bugger me, this morning I put them on, and either I have lost 4 kgs from my huge **** overnight, or the bastards have stretched.
They make knicks out of weak fabric so we have to replace them sooner and keep them in business. I will only buy knicks on-line from Probikekit from now on. Not happy Jan

i have a pair of cannibal knicks and a pair of sugoi knicks.
the quality difference is quite big. the cannibals are far better.
i use the "hand wash" setting on the washing machine for them, though.

Fabric weight makes a big difference in how long knicks will last and how easily they will stretch.

Also, if you are using a top-loading washing machine, can I suggest you put your knicks in a pillow case or even a lingerie bag. Otherwise, bibs in particular can wrap around the agitator and get stretched to blazes.

Machine washing - front loader's best.

I've blessed my bum with Assos ... so comfy. As well as Giordana Tenax gear for more day to day wear. I wouldn't go back to just any ordinary old chamois. Creature comforts make the difference when you're doing some serious k's (not that I do enough).

Hand wash in the Assos wash (I let it soak - does a great job on getting rid of pong smells). Rinse / spin in the machine. Sorted. I've moved away from standard machine wash methods as the approach I'm taking doesn't knock the threads around.

:cool:

last night I made sure I picked "delicates" and didn't include 3 shirts like before, just jersey knicks and small socks, to reduce stretching ( I reckon the 3 shirts pulled the knicks because when wet, the shirts would be damned heavy)

this morning tried the knicks and they seemed OK....will use lingerie bag in future like was suggested ;)
thanx heaps for the advice

I'm this close |--| to getting a new set of Pearl Izumi bibs. Any comments? worth the 180 bucks?

Ronanmk said:
I'm this close |--| to getting a new set of Pearl Izumi bibs. Any comments? worth the 180 bucks?
Yes, for the Microsensors, they wick really well and keep you dry. The have a nice comfy cut for me. Just make sure you get the right size and they not too baggy. Never really tried the ultra sensors.

I have got stubby legs, most knicks I have almost reach my knees. I generally just tuck it up. Are there any brands that have a shorter cut? Should I jump gender and go female cuts as some posts have suggested? Would there be obvious signs that I am cross dressing?

Cheers

thomas_cho said:
I have got stubby legs, most knicks I have almost reach my knees. I generally just tuck it up. Are there any brands that have a shorter cut? Should I jump gender and go female cuts as some posts have suggested? Would there be obvious signs that I am cross dressing?

Cheers
Assos F1 Mille have a short cut - you have to pay through the nose for them though.....

Aussie Steve said:
last night I made sure I picked "delicates" and didn't include 3 shirts like before, just jersey knicks and small socks, to reduce stretching ( I reckon the 3 shirts pulled the knicks because when wet, the shirts would be damned heavy)

this morning tried the knicks and they seemed OK....will use lingerie bag in future like was suggested ;)
thanx heaps for the advice
Another thing - don't use fabric softener - it may smell nice, but it destroys lycra eventually!

thomas_cho said:

Cheers
hmm cross dressing? NO! hahaha I think also the chamois would be different so they will probably not do the job if you want ya bits to be comfy.
As someone mentioned the Mille's are great. At $280 I only use them for long rides long rides over 4hours and they fit like a second skin and do what they are supposed to do in keeping comfy, the damage to the wallet I quickly forget. I can't remember brands but I think alot of the european brands have models in pro cut that are about 3 inches shorter than regular shorts. Just check out some reviews/ shop sites for descriptions.

thomas_cho said:

Cheers
Castelli seem to be a bit shorter in the leg.

kslim said:
Castelli seem to be a bit shorter in the leg.
I had some Castelli Knicks from 2004 that were comfy as... alas they wore out and I purchased some more online that were supposed to be the exact same ones... the ones I received were a new (lesser quality) model that I wore once and were the most uncomfortable knicks I have ever worn, and rubbed at my skin! For $130 I would have expected more...

It is hard to find comfy quality knicks, especially being a chick! I have also resorted to Assos, they are what you pay for... but looking for some training knicks for day-to-day at a bit lower price.