Knock knees and strained ITB

Harrow

Jun 17, 2003
I have bowed logs and knock knees so that if I face my knees forwards, my feet stick out at quite an angle. So, when I clip my shoes into my pedals, my knees are forced inwards at an unnatural angle when I ride. My knee actually wants to go through the top bar.

I have adjusted my cleats to get as much angle in my feet as I can, but it seems to be nowhere near enough and I have constant ITB strain problems. Sometimes I think I am going to snap my legs in half.

Does anyone else have to deal with this or have any ideas on how I may be able to change my setup to counteract the problem?

Thanks,
Harrow.

I would suggest consulting a sports masseur and an osteopath to see if they can help remedy the posture problem (unless, of course, you've already done all that in which case my apologies).

Consult several, osteopaths that understand knees are quite rare in my (sadly non-trivial) experience.

Further areas to check out could be: the net (as you are doing); cycling coaches; physiotherapists (my experience not good, masseurs and osteopaths better); stretching and exercise programmes (coach+masseur for advice).

Most important of all; make sure *you*, not a practioner of any kind, are in charge.

HTH

I have the same problem, and unfortunately have not found an answer to our problem. I'm sure you have done this, but do adjust your cleats to give you as much relief as you can get for your ankles and knees. I have found that on longer rides (century type), I have to pull over and relax my ankles and knees, or unclip and pedal one legged for a short period of time to give them a little break. I wish there was something more I could tell you, but this is the best I can do for you. Hang in there and good luck.

Originally posted by Harrow
I have bowed logs and knock knees so that if I face my knees forwards, my feet stick out at quite an angle. So, when I clip my shoes into my pedals, my knees are forced inwards at an unnatural angle when I ride. My knee actually wants to go through the top bar.

I have adjusted my cleats to get as much angle in my feet as I can, but it seems to be nowhere near enough and I have constant ITB strain problems. Sometimes I think I am going to snap my legs in half.

Does anyone else have to deal with this or have any ideas on how I may be able to change my setup to counteract the problem?

Thanks,
Harrow.

you might consider using plain pedals -- no toeclip, no cleat