Knocked off by a badger

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a glimpse
    of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody
    badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away with severe
    grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I hadn't
    anticipated.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On 11 Jun 2003 16:23:35 -0700, [email protected] (peter) wrote:

    >500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
    >glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
    >bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away with
    >severe grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I hadn't
    >anticipated.

    was the badger ok?
    <g>

    bob

  3. Bob Flemming wrote:

    > On 11 Jun 2003 16:23:35 -0700, [email protected] (peter) wrote:

    >>500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
    >>glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
    >>bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away
    >>with severe grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I
    >>hadn't anticipated.
    >

    > was the badger ok?

    Reminds me of riding into Salisbury in November, nearly dusk, full panniers and touring gear. I was
    tired, I was cold, it was drizzling.

    Came around a curve and there in front of me was a squashed hedgehog, I couldn't swerve around it
    with the load on the bike. As I went over it I thought "Wouldn't it be funny if..."
    PSsssssssshhttttt.

    Damn.

    road kill's revenge

    Adrian

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. [...] That's one way of falling
    > off a bike that I hadn't anticipated.

    It's one way which is fairly common round here - although last night the animal in question was a
    cute little baby rabbit, and it hoped out of the way in time toa chorus of "aaaah!" from the female
    riders. The fox kept away from us, the badger I saw had been dead for long enough not to be a
    problem, and so on.

    Damn animals have no road sense. Just like kids. We should set up a programme to educate them so we
    can continue to ride fast round country roads...

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], peter <[email protected]> typed:

    > Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and
    > sent me flying.

    Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  7. Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote: ( On 11 Jun 2003 16:23:35 -0700, [email protected]
    (peter) wrote: ) > I was lucky to ( >get away with severe grazing all down one side of my body. ) (
    was the badger ok?

    Clearly not, otherwise it would have savaged its felled assailant, probably snapping at last
    one leg-bone.

  8. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Following on from peter's message. . .
    >500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
    >glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
    >bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away with
    >severe grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I hadn't
    >anticipated.

    Yup. That's what happens. Badgers go where _they_ please. Unfortunately they like to get going at
    dusk so making sighting very problematical.

    If you come across one knocked down by a car then it would be a public service to get it moved off
    the road before the next two-wheeled person comes along.

    Should anyone suffer this misfortune just _think_ before attempting to deal with an injured animal
    with a fierce bite and claws.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the bottom fell out of the bucket business

    Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
    www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides

  9. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yup. That's what happens. Badgers go where _they_ please. Unfortunately they like to get going at
    > dusk so making sighting very problematical.
    >
    > If you come across one knocked down by a car then it would be a public service to get it moved off
    > the road before the next two-wheeled person comes along.

    A number of years ago I rolled a Mini on a mountain side, avoiding a sheep. Six weeks later I
    plucked up enough courage to drive the same road again, in a much bigger car. This time a sheep fell
    off the mountain in front of me and I ran it over and dragged it tens of yards whilst stopping! As I
    sat there shaking , there was a whirring of gears and about 20 cyclists went past , slipping and
    sliding over the intestines of the late unlamented sheep, they were on mountain bikes!
    :-(

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  10. Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > was the badger ok?
    > <g>

    <Harry Hill>

    Parade's off!

    </Harry Hill>

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Adrian Tritschler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Came around a curve and there in front of me was a squashed hedgehog, I couldn't swerve around it
    > with the load on the bike. As I went over it I thought "Wouldn't it be funny if..."
    > PSsssssssshhttttt.

    Obviously a flat hedgehog with a taste for puns.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Should anyone suffer this misfortune just _think_ before attempting to deal with an injured animal
    > with a fierce bite and claws.

    Absolutely - vicious things even if injured. You can certainly see how Monsieur Hinault earned
    his nickname!

  13. Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], peter <[email protected]> typed:
    >>
    >> Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel
    >> and sent me flying.
    >
    > Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

    SBIDSY ?

    Trev

  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >> Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel
    > >> and sent me flying.

    > > Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

    > SBIDSY ?

    Five points :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  15. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > In news:[email protected], peter <[email protected]> typed:

    > >> Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel
    > >> and sent me flying.

    > > Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

    > SBIDSY ?

    It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but not the whirling spokes. It seems to have
    been trying to get through the empty space between the rim and the hub.

    --
    Dave...

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:

    >> SBIDSY ?
    >
    > It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but not the whirling spokes.

    That would be a SPIDSY where as this looks like a SBIDSY

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  17. peter <[email protected]andasys.co.uk> wrote:

    > 500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
    > glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
    > bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying.

    Perhaps it thought you had a Brocks saddle, and was seeking revenge.
    --
    Jim Easterbrook <http://www.easter.mersinet.co.uk/

  18. Peter

    Peter Guest

    > In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:
    > >
    > >> SBIDSY ?
    > >
    > > It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but not the whirling spokes.
    >
    > That would be a SPIDSY where as this looks like a SBIDSY
    >
    > Tony

    No, definitely not a case of me hitting the badger, I would have gone over the bars if that had been
    the case. The badger ran straight at me from the side and knocked the front wheel out from under me.

  19. [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote: ( It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but
    not the ) whirling spokes. It seems to have been trying to get through the empty ( space between the
    rim and the hub.

    Squirrels do that a lot: since they're only greys, it's quite funny when they bounce off, often with
    some acquired curl v.

  20. On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:59:22 +0000, contributor Marc had scribed:
    > A number of years ago I rolled a Mini on a mountain side, avoiding a sheep. Six weeks later I
    > plucked up enough courage to drive the same road again, in a much bigger car. This time a sheep
    > fell off the mountain in front of me and I ran it over and dragged it tens of yards whilst
    > stopping! As I sat there shaking , there was a whirring of gears and about 20 cyclists went
    > past , slipping and sliding over the intestines of the late unlamented sheep, they were on
    > mountain bikes!

    I've been on a train that hit a sheep. It was the old type of diesel unit where there was a glass
    screen behind the driver. Not matter how much the driver sounded the horn the sheep simply ran away,
    and not sideways, until inevitable happened. Sheep was a write off, the train was OK.

    Back on topic of animals on the road. In the Outer Hebrides going back to the B&B after an evening
    meal at local pub (5 miles away by road, 1/2 mile away on the ground/water), we encountered a load
    of spots at wheel height in the vicinity of the roadway ahead, which turned out to be reflections
    from sheep's eyes. Before we knew it we were herding sheep away from the road with our front lights.

    Gary

    --

    The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

    For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.