Knocked off by a badger

Peter

Guest
500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a glimpse
of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody
badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away with severe
grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I hadn't
anticipated.

On 11 Jun 2003 16:23:35 -0700, [email protected] (peter) wrote:

>500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
>glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
>bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away with
>severe grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I hadn't
>anticipated.

was the badger ok?
<g>

bob

Bob Flemming wrote:

> On 11 Jun 2003 16:23:35 -0700, [email protected] (peter) wrote:

>>500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
>>glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
>>bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away
>>with severe grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I
>>hadn't anticipated.
>

> was the badger ok?

Reminds me of riding into Salisbury in November, nearly dusk, full panniers and touring gear. I was
tired, I was cold, it was drizzling.

Came around a curve and there in front of me was a squashed hedgehog, I couldn't swerve around it
with the load on the bike. As I went over it I thought "Wouldn't it be funny if..."
PSsssssssshhttttt.

Damn.

road kill's revenge

Adrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

"peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. [...] That's one way of falling
> off a bike that I hadn't anticipated.

It's one way which is fairly common round here - although last night the animal in question was a
cute little baby rabbit, and it hoped out of the way in time toa chorus of "aaaah!" from the female
riders. The fox kept away from us, the badger I saw had been dead for long enough not to be a
problem, and so on.

Damn animals have no road sense. Just like kids. We should set up a programme to educate them so we
can continue to ride fast round country roads...

--
Guy
===

In news:[email protected], peter <[email protected]> typed:

> Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and
> sent me flying.

Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote: ( On 11 Jun 2003 16:23:35 -0700, [email protected]
(peter) wrote: ) > I was lucky to ( >get away with severe grazing all down one side of my body. ) (
was the badger ok?

Clearly not, otherwise it would have savaged its felled assailant, probably snapping at last
one leg-bone.

Following on from peter's message. . .
>500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
>glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
>bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying. I was lucky to get away with
>severe grazing all down one side of my body. That's one way of falling off a bike that I hadn't
>anticipated.

Yup. That's what happens. Badgers go where _they_ please. Unfortunately they like to get going at
dusk so making sighting very problematical.

If you come across one knocked down by a car then it would be a public service to get it moved off
the road before the next two-wheeled person comes along.

Should anyone suffer this misfortune just _think_ before attempting to deal with an injured animal
with a fierce bite and claws.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bottom fell out of the bucket business

Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm East Anglian Pub cycle rides
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yup. That's what happens. Badgers go where _they_ please. Unfortunately they like to get going at
> dusk so making sighting very problematical.
>
> If you come across one knocked down by a car then it would be a public service to get it moved off
> the road before the next two-wheeled person comes along.

A number of years ago I rolled a Mini on a mountain side, avoiding a sheep. Six weeks later I
plucked up enough courage to drive the same road again, in a much bigger car. This time a sheep fell
off the mountain in front of me and I ran it over and dragged it tens of yards whilst stopping! As I
sat there shaking , there was a whirring of gears and about 20 cyclists went past , slipping and
sliding over the intestines of the late unlamented sheep, they were on mountain bikes!
:-(

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

Adrian Tritschler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Came around a curve and there in front of me was a squashed hedgehog, I couldn't swerve around it
> with the load on the bike. As I went over it I thought "Wouldn't it be funny if..."
> PSsssssssshhttttt.

Obviously a flat hedgehog with a taste for puns.

--
Dave...

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Should anyone suffer this misfortune just _think_ before attempting to deal with an injured animal
> with a fierce bite and claws.

Absolutely - vicious things even if injured. You can certainly see how Monsieur Hinault earned
his nickname!

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >> Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel
> >> and sent me flying.

> > Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

> SBIDSY ?

Five points :)

--
Guy
===

Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In news:[email protected], peter <[email protected]> typed:

> >> Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground, bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel
> >> and sent me flying.

> > Or from the badgers perspective you ran straight into it

> SBIDSY ?

It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but not the whirling spokes. It seems to have
been trying to get through the empty space between the rim and the hub.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:

>> SBIDSY ?
>
> It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but not the whirling spokes.

That would be a SPIDSY where as this looks like a SBIDSY

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

peter <[email protected]> wrote:

> 500m from the end of my 30km ride tonight, just about dark, flat out in top gear, I caught a
> glimpse of black and white from the corner of my eye. Next thing I knew I was flat on the ground,
> bloody badger had run straight into my fromt wheel and sent me flying.

Perhaps it thought you had a Brocks saddle, and was seeking revenge.
--
Jim Easterbrook <http://www.easter.mersinet.co.uk/

news:<[email protected]>...
> In news:[email protected], Dave Kahn <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> >> SBIDSY ?
> >
> > It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but not the whirling spokes.
>
> That would be a SPIDSY where as this looks like a SBIDSY
>
> Tony

No, definitely not a case of me hitting the badger, I would have gone over the bars if that had been
the case. The badger ran straight at me from the side and knocked the front wheel out from under me.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote: ( It's possible that the badger saw Peter and his bike but
not the ) whirling spokes. It seems to have been trying to get through the empty ( space between the
rim and the hub.

Squirrels do that a lot: since they're only greys, it's quite funny when they bounce off, often with
some acquired curl v.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:59:22 +0000, contributor Marc had scribed:
> A number of years ago I rolled a Mini on a mountain side, avoiding a sheep. Six weeks later I
> plucked up enough courage to drive the same road again, in a much bigger car. This time a sheep
> fell off the mountain in front of me and I ran it over and dragged it tens of yards whilst
> stopping! As I sat there shaking , there was a whirring of gears and about 20 cyclists went
> past , slipping and sliding over the intestines of the late unlamented sheep, they were on
> mountain bikes!

I've been on a train that hit a sheep. It was the old type of diesel unit where there was a glass
screen behind the driver. Not matter how much the driver sounded the horn the sheep simply ran away,
and not sideways, until inevitable happened. Sheep was a write off, the train was OK.

Back on topic of animals on the road. In the Outer Hebrides going back to the B&B after an evening
meal at local pub (5 miles away by road, 1/2 mile away on the ground/water), we encountered a load
of spots at wheel height in the vicinity of the roadway ahead, which turned out to be reflections
from sheep's eyes. Before we knew it we were herding sheep away from the road with our front lights.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.