Knocking sound???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Prometheus7, May 27, 2004.

  1. Prometheus7

    Prometheus7 Guest

    I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under stress up
    a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it down. It doesn't
    happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. It is not a cyclical knock, but
    rather irratic. I have Ultegra components. Anyone heard this. Someone
    said it could be a loose cassette, but we check that. Other thoughts? 5000
    miles on the equipment.

    Thanks,

    David

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Prometheus7 wrote:
    > I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under
    > stress up a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it
    > down. It doesn't happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. It is not
    > a cyclical knock, but rather irratic. I have Ultegra components.
    > Anyone heard this. Someone said it could be a loose cassette, but we
    > check that. Other thoughts? 5000 miles on the equipment.

    Knock-knock.

    Who's there?

    9-10.

    9-10 who?

    9-10 mph uphill is SLOW?

    Bill "worn out chain starting to skip?" S.

  3. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Prometheus7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under stress

    up
    > a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it down. It doesn't
    > happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. It is not a cyclical knock, but
    > rather irratic. I have Ultegra components. Anyone heard this. Someone
    > said it could be a loose cassette, but we check that. Other thoughts?

    5000
    > miles on the equipment.

    BB. Remove it, clean it, the BB threads on the shell and cartridge, grease
    it all up real nice, and put it all back together. If you have 5K on the
    equip and you've never done this or had it done before, then... wow. You've
    done well.

    Pretty sure that'll fix the knock.
    --
    Marty

  4. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Prometheus7 wrote:
    > I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under
    > stress up a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it down. It
    > doesn't happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. It is not a cyclical
    > knock, but rather irratic. I have Ultegra components. Anyone heard this.
    > Someone said it could be a loose cassette, but we check that. Other
    > thoughts? 5000 miles on the equipment.
    > Thanks,
    > David

    No instant fix ideas, but you have the idea by eliminating things. If
    you can temporarily switch out a rear wheel and the sound stays the
    same... you've eliminated one possible source. You continue this way and
    reference the following 2 articles for help:

    <http://www.chainreaction.com/noises.htm>

    <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/creaking_and_squeaking.shtml>

    another thing to try is see if it happens only seated or when
    standing..... to help eliminate saddle rail interface and seat
    post/clamp interface.

    --

  5. R15757

    R15757 Guest

    First thing you should do is see if the crank bolts are loose.

    If not, do that BB fix already described. Although if you have an Ultegra that
    has been properly installed, it shouldn't knock or complain even after 5K
    miles. Perhaps it just came a bit loose. The cheaper cartridge BBs on the other
    hand aint good for much. I think they are made of plastic, chalk and hope.

    Robert

  6. david-<< I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under
    stress up
    a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it down. It doesn't
    happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. >><BR><BR>

    Loose or not enough grease in the BB shell and left cup, or the BB is history.

    Loose cogset.

    Pedal noise.

    Chainring loose.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  7. g.daniels

    g.daniels Guest

    it's toast. throw it off a cliff!

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 28 May 2004 09:51:38 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) may have
    said:

    >it's toast. throw it off a cliff!

    Toast should not be flung off a cliff. Toast is flung in a darkened
    room pursuant to the utterance of the cue phrase during the dinner
    scene.

    This message is brought to you as a public service by the Committee to
    Obfuscate Normality by Furthering Usefully Spurious Eccentricity.

  9. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:08:15 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On 28 May 2004 09:51:38 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) may have
    >said:
    >>it's toast. throw it off a cliff!

    >Toast should not be flung off a cliff. Toast is flung in a darkened
    >room pursuant to the utterance of the cue phrase during the dinner
    >scene.

    Be careful in that darkened room. Make sure you're armed with a grue
    gun.

    >This message is brought to you as a public service by the Committee to
    >Obfuscate Normality by Furthering Usefully Spurious Eccentricity.

    Does CONFUSE have an address to which I can write to join up?
    --
    Rick Onanian

  10. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Be careful in that darkened room. Make sure you're armed with a grue
    > gun.

    did i mention i'm a huge infocom fan?

    >up

    You have moved into a dark place.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

    >wait

    Oh, no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

    **** You have died ****

    Now, let's take a look here... Well, you probably deserve another chance. I
    can't quite fix you up completely, but you can't have everything.

    Forest
    This is a forest, with trees in all directions. To the east, there appears to
    be sunlight.

    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 28 May 2004 21:34:27 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Be careful in that darkened room. Make sure you're armed with a grue
    >> gun.

    >did i mention i'm a huge infocom fan?

    I wonder if there's a program to run those games on Palm PDAs.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  12. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I wonder if there's a program to run those games on Palm PDAs.

    killer app for palmos, imo.

    http://www.palmsource.com/interests/games_if/

    i use frotz (my pda is ancient), PalmPilotFrotz on the pda and frotz-2.32
    on my unix box. i grabbed the infocom zcode files from an activision cd-rom
    tho i think most of them are free now. i can't get to google or i'd tell
    ya where.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  13. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 28 May 2004 22:14:20 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >n my unix box. i grabbed the infocom zcode files from an activision cd-rom
    >tho i think most of them are free now. i can't get to google or i'd tell
    >ya where.

    If I spend long enough searching my old CD-Rs and floppies, the
    infocom zcode files (and a bunch of others too) will turn up, as
    well as players for a few different operating systems...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  14. >I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under stress up
    >a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it down. It doesn't
    >happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. It is not a cyclical knock, but
    >rather irratic. I have Ultegra components. Anyone heard this. Someone
    >said it could be a loose cassette, but we check that. Other thoughts? 5000
    >miles on the equipment.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >David

    In the years I worked in bicycle repair shops, the knocking sound you
    describe was always caused by a tight or frozen chain link.

  15. JAPANic

    JAPANic Guest

    adamyork wrote:
    > >I have a knocking sound coming from my drivetrain when it is under
    > >stress up a hill and I'm going slow, 9 - 10 mph. I can't pin it down.
    > >It doesn't happen freewheeling, just when pedaling. It is not a
    > >cyclical knock, but rather irratic. I have Ultegra components. Anyone
    > >heard this. Someone said it could be a loose cassette, but we check
    > >that. Other thoughts? 5000 miles on the equipment.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >David

    > In the years I worked in bicycle repair shops, the knocking sound you
    > describe was always caused by a tight or frozen chain link.

    The knocking sound may be a frame fault if you are riding Aluminium....

    Something inside the frame may have busted and only clunks when under
    pressure.... going up hills and clunks is a new sympton of frame fault
    according to my local dealer....

    GIOS & ANCHOR frames are main offenders... don't always blame the
    components...

    Maybe worth investigating.....

    --

  16. g.daniels