knocking

Michael

Guest
This is my third post on a persistent problem I'm having. To summarize:

Post 1: Couldn't tighten headset fully. Turned out the steerer nut was too high or had slipped up to
the top cap. Fixed by LBS. Post 2: I thought the steerer nut (which I called a star-fangled nut) was
still slipping in the carbon steerer. Turns out (as many people noted) it's actually a wedge-type
nut, and in fact it hadn't slipped.

Here's the problem - when I do the normal loose-headset test (hold the front brake and rock the bike
forwards and backwards), there's a knocking sound. Sounds just like if the headset is loose and the
steerer is moving within the headset/headtube. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from except that
it's along the fork, somewhere between the hub and stem.

The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet while
rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.

The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?

Specs: new Litespeed Tuscany ti frame, Cane Creek S2 headset, Litespeed carbon disc & canti fork
with carbon steerer, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Hope XC disc hubs.

Thanks, Michael

On 1 Dec 2003 09:10:50 -0800, [email protected] (Michael) wrote:

>This is my third post on a persistent problem I'm having. To summarize:
>
>Post 1: Couldn't tighten headset fully. Turned out the steerer nut was too high or had slipped up
>to the top cap. Fixed by LBS. Post 2: I thought the steerer nut (which I called a star-fangled nut)
>was still slipping in the carbon steerer. Turns out (as many people noted) it's actually a
>wedge-type nut, and in fact it hadn't slipped.
>
>Here's the problem - when I do the normal loose-headset test (hold the front brake and rock the
>bike forwards and backwards), there's a knocking sound. Sounds just like if the headset is loose
>and the steerer is moving within the headset/headtube. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from
>except that it's along the fork, somewhere between the hub and stem.
>
>The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
>between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet while
>rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.
>
>The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?
>
>Specs: new Litespeed Tuscany ti frame, Cane Creek S2 headset, Litespeed carbon disc & canti fork
>with carbon steerer, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Hope XC disc hubs.

Skewer tight? Brakes mounted tight to fork? Disk mounted tight to hub? Disk pads mounted correctly?
Stem tight? Handlebars tight? Hub bearings adjusted correctly?

Michael Press writes:

> This is my third post on a persistent problem I'm having. To summarize:

> Here's the problem - when I do the normal loose-headset test (hold the front brake and rock the
> bike forwards and backwards), there's a knocking sound. Sounds just like if the headset is loose
> and the steerer is moving within the headset/headtube. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from
> except that it's along the fork, somewhere between the hub and stem.

The trouble with this test is that it wraps up other loosenesses with head bearing adjustment. Try
the bounce test whereby you raise the front end of the bicycle by holding the stem at the steertube
and bouncing it on the ground. This should give a clear chattering noise that cannot come from a
loose brake caliper or loose wheel skewer. It can excite a loose wheel bearing but that would need
to be so loose that you can feel it by wiggling the tire side to side.

> The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
> between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet
> while rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.

I think you are looking in the wrong place for the slop. Have you checked the other places that have
been suggested? Why can't the guys at the bicycle shop find this when you show it to them?

> The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?

I think you don't have a good bicycle shop. If they can't find this then maybe they also don't know
how to adjust the head bearing. It's hard to see from here but it makes me wonder.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Michael wrote:

> This is my third post on a persistent problem I'm having. To summarize:
>
> Post 1: Couldn't tighten headset fully. Turned out the steerer nut was too high or had slipped up
> to the top cap. Fixed by LBS. Post 2: I thought the steerer nut (which I called a star-fangled
> nut) was still slipping in the carbon steerer. Turns out (as many people noted) it's actually a
> wedge-type nut, and in fact it hadn't slipped.
>
> Here's the problem - when I do the normal loose-headset test (hold the front brake and rock the
> bike forwards and backwards), there's a knocking sound. Sounds just like if the headset is loose
> and the steerer is moving within the headset/headtube. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from
> except that it's along the fork, somewhere between the hub and stem.
>
> The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
> between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet
> while rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.
>
> The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?
>
> Specs: new Litespeed Tuscany ti frame, Cane Creek S2 headset, Litespeed carbon disc & canti fork
> with carbon steerer, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Hope XC disc hubs.

Those symptoms would be consistent with a seal misplaced, some component of the headset upside down
or omission/reversal of the conical centering ring.

Michael wrote:
> Here's the problem - when I do the normal loose-headset test (hold the front brake and rock the
> bike forwards and backwards), there's a knocking sound. Sounds just like if the headset is loose
> and the steerer is moving within the headset/headtube. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from
> except that it's along the fork, somewhere between the hub and stem.

It could be from a loose brake or suspension system if forks are suspension type, but it may well be
a loose headset despite what the shop say. Maybe they haven't tested it as vigourously.

The drop test can help - but I find, with non-sus forks, the rocking-with-brake-on test can detect a
smaller amount of play when bike is rocked HARD with brake on HARD.

> The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
> between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet
> while rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.

A small amount of play won't always be noticeable in that way.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

>Here's the problem - when I do the normal loose-headset test (hold the front brake and rock the
>bike forwards and backwards), there's a knocking sound. Sounds just like if the headset is loose
>and the steerer is moving within the headset/headtube. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from
>except that it's along the fork, somewhere between the hub and stem.
>
>The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
>between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet while
>rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.
>
>The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?
>
>Specs: new Litespeed Tuscany ti frame, Cane Creek S2 headset, Litespeed carbon disc & canti fork
>with carbon steerer, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Hope XC disc hubs.

Pads moving back and forth in the caliper. Disc moving on its mounts (if it's a floating disc).

Eric

Michael wrote:

Piece of metal or stone in your rims. Something may have been dropped inside while lacing the wheel.

--
Perre

On 1 Dec 2003 09:10:50 -0800, [email protected] (Michael) may have said:

>The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?
>
>Specs: new Litespeed Tuscany ti frame, Cane Creek S2 headset, Litespeed carbon disc & canti fork
>with carbon steerer, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Hope XC disc hubs.

There is a common problem in automotive disc brakes in which such a knock is produced by motion of
the pads in the caliper. This is the reason for the presence of a small (usually leaf-type) spring
somewhere in the assembly which keeps the pad loaded against the side of the pad recess, pushed
against the caliper body in the direction of rotation. As long as the brakes are applied while
rolling forward, the radial slop in the pad has already been taken up, and there's no knock. Apply
the brakes suddenly while rolling back, and there's a knock. I believe this may be what's happening
with your setup. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
contains nuts.

[email protected] (Michael) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> The LBS insists the headset is properly tight, and as far as I can tell it is. There's no movement
> between the adjustable race and the upper head-tube race when I put my finger where they meet
> while rocking the bike. Same on the bottom part of the headset.
>
> The LBS couldn't figure out the source of the knock, and gave up. Any ideas?
>
> Specs: new Litespeed Tuscany ti frame, Cane Creek S2 headset, Litespeed carbon disc & canti fork
> with carbon steerer, Avid mechanical disc brakes, Hope XC disc hubs.

Now this I do have actual experience (Cane Creek S2 Pro). Is there a gap between the crown race and
the bottom cartridge bearing? If yes, mail me privately.

> There is a common problem in automotive disc brakes in which such a knock is produced by motion of
> the pads in the caliper. This is the reason for the presence of a small (usually leaf-type) spring
> somewhere in the assembly which keeps the pad loaded against the side of the pad recess, pushed
> against the caliper body in the direction of rotation. As long as the brakes are applied while
> rolling forward, the radial slop in the pad has already been taken up, and there's no knock. Apply
> the brakes suddenly while rolling back, and there's a knock. I believe this may be what's
> happening with your setup. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

good similie - i think that's exactly right.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Those symptoms would be consistent with a seal misplaced, some component of the headset upside
> down or omission/reversal of the conical centering ring.

I have this same headset (S2 Pro). If you have a gap between the crown race and the bottom cartrige
bearing, call Cane Creek. They will send you a new bottom assembly for free. There was a
mismatch/design issue with the bearing/race such that you can not close the gap.