Know where to get those plastic pantleg protector thingies that go over chainring?

babybunny

Oct 5, 2004
I commute on my bike and whenever I wear long pants the pantlegs always get caught up in the big chainring. Does anyone know where I can get that plastic thing that goes over the top of the main chainring to prevent the teeth from shredding pantlegs? They're a common thing on k-mart/wal-mart bikes. I want to install one (I know, they look retarded) before my chainring tears apart my $40 pair of waterproof pants.

Thanks in advance.

babybunny said:
I commute on my bike and whenever I wear long pants the pantlegs always get caught up in the big chainring. Does anyone know where I can get that plastic thing that goes over the top of the main chainring to prevent the teeth from shredding pantlegs? They're a common thing on k-mart/wal-mart bikes. I want to install one (I know, they look retarded) before my chainring tears apart my $40 pair of waterproof pants.

Thanks in advance.

Try your local bikeshop, they are standard on most city bikes.

mrowkoob said:
Try your local bikeshop, they are standard on most city bikes.
My '75 Raleigh Gran Sport has an aluminum one installed on the Stronglight crank; it looks just like a chainring but no teeth of course. It covers the big ring.

The other, simpler option is to just use a clip, strap or big rubber band over the pantleg to keep it from flapping. Hate to sound like an old-timer, but these things were common back in the days when people rode bikes to go places.

I always role my pantlegs up when going to work and if I'm commuting anywhere else I'll just wear shorts.