Knowing when to take fuel on long rides

Frank414

Jun 26, 2018
Constantly burning out on my rides. I live near Derbyshire / Buxton in the UK. Great for cycling and working towards an endurance race in September. My first time cycling and an ex squash player thought I could keep the duration going but oh no. Different set of muscles and nutrition management. Not sure if anyone has used this app - seems to be OK. Although if you remember I'm sure you can take on fuel when you feel like it. Neat app though. called 'endur8'...Bikeradar did a piece on them. won't let me post the link :/

If you are burning your fuel during a ride that probably means you are under eating. Playing squash is mild compared to pushing pedals. You have to extinguish your last breath when you are cycling on a steep road which means you are pushing yourself to the limit. And if your stomach is wanting in food, you will be consumed by fatigue sooner than you expected. My advice is for you to have a heavy meal before the ride. Of course, that should be around 2 or 3 hours before the actual ride for the food to be fully digested.

I don't eat much when I'm going to ride, I usually eat a light meal or a light snack an hour or two before I go on cycling and just intermittently eat along the way when needed. I always bring some Lemon infused water and 2 snicker bars either ordinary or the protein packed ones.
IMG_20180629_081319_046.jpg
IMG_20180629_081328_201.jpg

I don't go for the Snickers or other such candy bars due to the high amount of sugar (27 grams). Your stomach has to work at digesting all that sugar which takes energy from your body needed for riding the bike. Clif bars average 5 grams of sugar.

Are you running out of fuel or are your electrolytes getting out of balance? Check out the different products from Hammer Nutrition for endurance athletics. Maybe the best might be PERPETUEM, used for over 3 hour training sessions. In all reality Gatorade isn't too bad, a lot of riders on my club rides drink it. Usually have a one bottle with energy/electrolyte, one just water. Drink lots of water, at least a bottle an hour. And usually it takes more than a year to be competitve enduance bike rider. As earlier commentor said, Cliff Bars, but I think the liquid fuel is available to your muscles faster (that's just my opinion), and I use both. If this is your first year cycling, look up bonking.