Knowledge of 86 Nishiki Olympic?

Froze

Jul 13, 2004
NE Indiana
I bought what I think is a 86 Nishiki Olympic in original condition that supposedly was only ridden 5 miles? Not sure if that's true but it's in great shape and the gears look new, but it's not mint (a 10 out of 10) like the 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe I found this last winter, but it's in really good shape (a 8 out of 10). It's red with white head tube, fork and seat tube, with Shimano Light action SIS and SLR brakes, sealed Joytech hubs, Champion bar, and a fluted seat post thats painted alternating flutes with red, green and yellow. It also has a decal instead of a headbadge, which I thought all Nishiki's had the badge.

The wife said he rode it once then stored it? It's weird that the Schwinn had a similar experience but that guy broke his back at home after he bought the bike and had rode it about 250 miles before he had to store it. I may have overpaid for it, not sure, but I paid $150 (she wanted $200), figured for a Tange dble butted lugged steel bike in that condition and it fits, plus I liked the color scheme so I thought it was worth it. What's weird is that it has 700c rims with Schrader valves, I thought all 700c rims had presta valves, they must be cheaper rims. She also had a Raleigh Professional with Suntour Cyclone components but that bike was a 2 out of 10 condition and she wanted $500, I offered $100 thinking the components would be worth that but she declined. She had a friend telling her what to price those bikes at.

If anyone has any info on this bike I would appreciate it. Thanks. I don't have the bike in my possession yet, I paid her and left the bike there since I couldn't put in the TR6 I was driving today. So I'll go back this next Saturday and pick it up.

The Nishiki Olympic was an OK bike. In 1986, they had started to slide a little in the quality of their components. That is why you are getting Joytech hubs, a Champion Handlebar and Shimano Light Action SIS rather than 105. You paid close the going price for this bike in 1986.

Nearly all bikes had changed from the bead badge to the decal by 86.

The Raleigh Professional appears to have been downgraded. They came standard with Campy C-Record components. Suntour Cyclone components were OK, but not for competition. Without the Campy group set, I doubt that she will get $500.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

The Nishiki Olympic was an OK bike. In 1986, they had started to slide a little in the quality of their components. That is why you are getting Joytech hubs, a Champion Handlebar and Shimano Light Action SIS rather than 105. You paid close the going price for this bike in 1986.

Nearly all bikes had changed from the bead badge to the decal by 86.

The Raleigh Professional appears to have been downgraded. They came standard with Campy C-Record components. Suntour Cyclone components were OK, but not for competition. Without the Campy group set, I doubt that she will get $500.
Thanks for the reply. I tried to find similar bikes for sale on E-bay and none is listed. But it was in good enough shape to consider buying it, I'm a sucker for lugs if it looks good. It needs some cleaning but that's no big deal. I'm still waiting for a Italian job to come around that someone doesn't know what they have and will sell it cheap, but I can't see spending the kind of money that E-Bay gets for those bikes. I guess what's weird is that on e-bay you can find Schwinn Continental's selling for over $250, and around here on Craigslist they go for $200, all these older bikes are just getting out of hand in price. Maybe I live in a high priced area.

I did find a picture of the exact model, obviously not the exact bike, the pictured one has cut off handlebars mine has full drops. Mine also has the original white handle bar tape, white brake hoods and white seat and is not a fixie, but at least you get an idea of what it looks like. http://pbl.gatech.edu/people/cforest/hobbies_cycling/1986_Nishiki_olympic/1986%20Nishiki%20Olympic.htm