Ko'ed and the long term

davef

Oct 25, 2003
I have been knocked out twice in road race accidents. First time about 1 year ago and I was out for about 25 minutes. Last time, in a big pileup in the final sprint for about 3 minutes, 2 months ago.

The two popped AC joints don't bother me that much, but wondering about any comments about continuing to put myself at risk. Age 59, quite fit and really enjoying the sport, but . . .

Thanks,
davef

The decision is, of course, up to you. But is it worth it? Why not just ride with your friends and not put yourself at risk racing? :confused:

davef said:
I have been knocked out twice in road race accidents. First time about 1 year ago and I was out for about 25 minutes. Last time, in a big pileup in the final sprint for about 3 minutes, 2 months ago.

The two popped AC joints don't bother me that much, but wondering about any comments about continuing to put myself at risk. Age 59, quite fit and really enjoying the sport, but . . .

Thanks,
davef

I popped the AC joint (grade III and looks ugly) and broke the femur neck 10 weeks ago just racing alone downhill. Age 46, really enjoying myself, and plan to get back on the bike as soon as spring comes by which time I should have enough muscles rebuilt. I wasn't knocked out though. (I hope you replaced your helmet each time)

Given what can happen from multiple concussions (just look at Mohamad Ali), you might what to quit racing to lower the risk. But if you really enjoy it, don't quit riding. Ride for fun, distance, speed, in groups, etc. The risk is still there as I can attest to but not nearly as great. And it sure beats the risks you would face as an overweight, hypertensive, inactive couch potato.

davef said:

Thanks,
davef
I popped the AC joint (grade III and looks ugly) and broke the femur neck 10 weeks ago when I crashed just racing alone downhill. Age 46, really enjoying myself, and plan to get back on the bike as soon as spring comes by which time I should have enough muscles rebuilt. I wasn't knocked out though. (I hope you replaced your helmet each time)

Given what can happen from multiple concussions (just look at Mohamad Ali), you might what to quit racing to lower the risk. But if you really enjoy it, don't quit riding. Ride for fun, distance, speed, in groups, etc. The risk is still there as I can attest to but not nearly as great. And it sure beats the risks you would face as an overweight, hypertensive, inactive couch potato.

Agree with the above posts. If you want to keep racing, there are plenty of safer events like TT's, time century events and brevets. Crit racing with the 20-somethings around here isn't something I do anymore either. (Was never good enough for the final sprints, but didn't care for the elbows and jostling for corner lines.

As someone once told me "you're not too old to race, just too old to crash".....