Kona Cinder Cone 2003

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Henry Kwan, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Henry Kwan

    Henry Kwan Guest

    Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
    dominating company....now I come back to only find GT pretty much gone.....

    Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross country.
    I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have the mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride
    Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out some Rocky Mountains but this year there
    are less models and quite pricey....

    that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and any opinions on the
    Cinder Cone?

    Tags:

  2. As I have only tried out this bike for a day I can't say a lot, but from sitting on it for 5 hours I
    can say its a nice light frame and that it soars through the air! Probably because it had a nice
    black paint job! Whats with Kona's weird names (jack the snake) Hello and Bye:)

    "Henry Kwan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
    > dominating company....now I come back to only find
    GT
    > pretty much gone.....
    >
    > Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross
    > country. I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have
    the
    > mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out
    > some Rocky Mountains but this year there are
    less
    > models and quite pricey....
    >
    > that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and
    any
    > opinions on the Cinder Cone?

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    puff 'n' fresh wrote:

    >>Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
    >>dominating company....now I come back to only find GT pretty much gone.....
    >>
    >>Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross
    >>country. I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have the mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride
    >>Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out some Rocky Mountains but this year there
    >>are less models and quite pricey....
    >>
    >>that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and any opinions on the
    >>Cinder Cone?

    I have a similar set up with the slightly more expensive Muni Mula (which actually appears to have
    been discontinued for 2003) and have nothing but praise for it. I like Kona designs and although I
    broke the first one, the second's now lasted me about 5 years.

    > As I have only tried out this bike for a day I can't say a lot, but from sitting on it for 5
    > hours I can say its a nice light frame and that
    it soars
    > through the air! Probably because it had a nice black paint job! Whats with Kona's weird names
    > (jack the snake)

    Most of Kona's names were volcano-related: Cinder Cone, Caldera, Lava Dome, Fire Mountain, etc. As
    for Jake the Snake, wasn't he a WWF wrestler?

  4. Paul Ayck

    Paul Ayck Guest

    Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for breakfast and feel like a bike not a
    car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil maintenance, but get decent forks,
    namely Marzocchi. "Henry Kwan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
    > dominating company....now I come back to only find
    GT
    > pretty much gone.....
    >
    > Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross
    > country. I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have
    the
    > mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out
    > some Rocky Mountains but this year there are
    less
    > models and quite pricey....
    >
    > that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and
    any
    > opinions on the Cinder Cone?

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Paul Ayck wrote:
    > > Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for
    breakfast
    > > and feel like a bike not a car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil
    > > maintenance, but get decent forks, namely Marzocchi.
    >
    > Ooh look, a disciple spouting a new religion.

    Ask my mate Paul about his Marin when you see us. Although he likes it, he's had a heap of trouble
    with it (BB(s), forks, bits and bobs - seems they don't put them together too well).

    Shaun aRe - I personally can't stand the _sound_ a monocoque makes.

  7. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with the rimmer.
    I know a bloke who broke 2 DH marins , had both replaced. The 2nd was replaced with a XC bike coz they didn't wanna warranty him anymore and wanted him to tone down his riding???
    He's since bought an Intense M-1:D

  8. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:41:33 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Paul Ayck wrote:
    >> Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for breakfast and feel like a bike
    >> not a car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil maintenance, but get decent
    >> forks, namely Marzocchi.
    >
    >Ooh look, a disciple spouting a new religion.

    Yet still not one of the Apostles.

    Sad ain't it?

    Dave (no preach!)

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:41:33 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Paul Ayck wrote:
    > >> Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for
    breakfast
    > >> and feel like a bike not a car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil
    > >> maintenance, but get decent forks, namely Marzocchi.
    > >
    > >Ooh look, a disciple spouting a new religion.
    >
    > Yet still not one of the Apostles.
    >
    > Sad ain't it?
    >
    > Dave (no preach!)

    Heh - I see slippage! So, who collects their winnings?

    Shaun aRe

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Henry Kwan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
    > dominating company....now I come back to only find GT pretty much gone.....

    Yeah, gt went away and took Schwinn with them to wally world. A double-edged sword for sure.

    > Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross
    > country. I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have the mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride
    > Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out some Rocky Mountains but this year there
    > are less models and quite pricey....

    Specialized costs more than trek (crap) for a reason, as does RM.

    > that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and any opinions on the
    > Cinder Cone?

    Yeah, kona is crap.

    JD

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    JD wrote:> Yeah, kona is crap.

    > JD

    you know I start to cry every time you post that.

    penny

  12. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah that's why Robbie Bourdon is doing the same stuff as Bender with almost half his travel on a Kona.:eek: :D

    You may not rate Kona but I don't rate your comments.:eek:

    Hey Penny - can I be your shoulder to cry on:D

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    roKeMS wrote:
    > Yeah that's why Robbie Bourdon is doing the same stuff as Bender with almost half his travel on a
    > Kona.:eek: :D
    >
    > You may not rate Kona but I don't rate your comments.:eek:
    >
    > Hey Penny - can I be your shoulder to cry on:D

    that is a joke right? You are obviously new here, *daring* to even ask....

    ( and not getting the Kona joke, either, but that's forgivable)

    penny

  14. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    of course it's a joke!

    (unless you wanna cough up a plane fare (I'll let you get the fly-buys:) ))

  15. ugez606

    ugez606 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    Bought the kona Caldera 2004 this morning !
    No kidding - I'm so excited i can't sit still.

    I chose the caldera as its a few hundred (£) cheaper than the kula/explosif range. I'll prob upgrade by getting a new stem/handle bar but for now I'm really happy.

    The ultralite frame makes a difference of only 300g so opting for the caldera is a good ting. :D

    If anyone thinks I'm nuts, let me know.
    Tina

    PS - came across this site via konaworld

  16. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "ugez606" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bought the kona Caldera 2004 this morning ! No kidding - I'm so excited i can't sit still.

    The Caldera looks like a nice bike.

    Personally, I'd probably have chosen the Kona Cinder Cone. It has very similar specs and it's $200
    cheaper than the Caldera.

    I've owned three Kona hardtails: Cinder Cone, Caldera and Hei Hei (Ti). All were great bikes; but
    the Hei Hei was too flexy. I'd still have the Caldera if it hadn't been stolen (!)

    > I chose the caldera as its a few hundred (£) cheaper than the kula/explosif range. I'll prob
    > upgrade by getting a new stem/handle bar but for now I'm really happy.

    Kona does a good job with their OEM component choices, IMO.

    > The ultralite frame makes a difference of only 300g so opting for the caldera is a good ting. :D

    300g will only matter to a weight weenie.

    > If anyone thinks I'm nuts, let me know. Tina

    If it fits well, handles the terrain you ride, and you like it, then it's all good.

    -=B=-