Kona Cinder Cone 2003

Henry Kwan

Guest
Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
dominating company....now I come back to only find GT pretty much gone.....

Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross country.
I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have the mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride
Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out some Rocky Mountains but this year there
are less models and quite pricey....

that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and any opinions on the
Cinder Cone?

As I have only tried out this bike for a day I can't say a lot, but from sitting on it for 5 hours I
can say its a nice light frame and that it soars through the air! Probably because it had a nice
black paint job! Whats with Kona's weird names (jack the snake) Hello and Bye:)

news:[email protected]...

puff 'n' fresh wrote:

>>Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
>>dominating company....now I come back to only find GT pretty much gone.....
>>
>>Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross
>>country. I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have the mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride
>>Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out some Rocky Mountains but this year there
>>are less models and quite pricey....
>>
>>that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and any opinions on the
>>Cinder Cone?

I have a similar set up with the slightly more expensive Muni Mula (which actually appears to have
been discontinued for 2003) and have nothing but praise for it. I like Kona designs and although I
broke the first one, the second's now lasted me about 5 years.

> As I have only tried out this bike for a day I can't say a lot, but from sitting on it for 5
> hours I can say its a nice light frame and that
it soars
> through the air! Probably because it had a nice black paint job! Whats with Kona's weird names
> (jack the snake)

Most of Kona's names were volcano-related: Cinder Cone, Caldera, Lava Dome, Fire Mountain, etc. As
for Jake the Snake, wasn't he a WWF wrestler?

Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for breakfast and feel like a bike not a
car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil maintenance, but get decent forks,
namely Marzocchi. "Henry Kwan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
> dominating company....now I come back to only find
GT
> pretty much gone.....
>
> Now i'm trying to find a new bike that will suit me. I'm not racing, but will do some cross
> country. I looked at the Trek 6700, but I still have
the
> mentality of bikers don't let bikers ride Treks....and Specialized seems overpriced. I checked out
> some Rocky Mountains but this year there are
less
> models and quite pricey....
>
> that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and
any
> opinions on the Cinder Cone?

> Paul Ayck wrote:
> > Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for
breakfast
> > and feel like a bike not a car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil
> > maintenance, but get decent forks, namely Marzocchi.
>
> Ooh look, a disciple spouting a new religion.

Ask my mate Paul about his Marin when you see us. Although he likes it, he's had a heap of trouble
with it (BB(s), forks, bits and bobs - seems they don't put them together too well).

Shaun aRe - I personally can't stand the _sound_ a monocoque makes.

I agree with the rimmer.
I know a bloke who broke 2 DH marins , had both replaced. The 2nd was replaced with a XC bike coz they didn't wanna warranty him anymore and wanted him to tone down his riding???
He's since bought an Intense M-1:D

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:41:33 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Ayck wrote:
>> Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for breakfast and feel like a bike
>> not a car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil maintenance, but get decent
>> forks, namely Marzocchi.
>
>Ooh look, a disciple spouting a new religion.

Yet still not one of the Apostles.

Sad ain't it?

Dave (no preach!)

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:41:33 +0100, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Paul Ayck wrote:
> >> Marin, Marin, Marin. Get a Marin. easy. They all eat trails for
breakfast
> >> and feel like a bike not a car seat. Tough as old boots and look good. Pivots need nil
> >> maintenance, but get decent forks, namely Marzocchi.
> >
> >Ooh look, a disciple spouting a new religion.
>
> Yet still not one of the Apostles.
>
> Sad ain't it?
>
> Dave (no preach!)

Heh - I see slippage! So, who collects their winnings?

Shaun aRe

"Henry Kwan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello, I'm getting back into biking after MANY years of abscence. When I biked, GT was a great
> dominating company....now I come back to only find GT pretty much gone.....

Yeah, gt went away and took Schwinn with them to wally world. A double-edged sword for sure.

Specialized costs more than trek (****) for a reason, as does RM.

> that brings me the Kona Cinder Cone..any opinions on Kona as a whole and any opinions on the
> Cinder Cone?

Yeah, kona is ****.

JD

JD wrote:> Yeah, kona is ****.

> JD

you know I start to cry every time you post that.

penny

Yeah that's why Robbie Bourdon is doing the same stuff as Bender with almost half his travel on a Kona.:eek: :D

You may not rate Kona but I don't rate your comments.:eek:

Hey Penny - can I be your shoulder to cry on:D

roKeMS wrote:
> Yeah that's why Robbie Bourdon is doing the same stuff as Bender with almost half his travel on a
> Kona.:eek: :D
>
> You may not rate Kona but I don't rate your comments.:eek:
>
> Hey Penny - can I be your shoulder to cry on:D

that is a joke right? You are obviously new here, *daring* to even ask....

( and not getting the Kona joke, either, but that's forgivable)

penny

of course it's a joke!

(unless you wanna cough up a plane fare (I'll let you get the fly-buys:) ))

Bought the kona Caldera 2004 this morning !
No kidding - I'm so excited i can't sit still.

I chose the caldera as its a few hundred (£) cheaper than the kula/explosif range. I'll prob upgrade by getting a new stem/handle bar but for now I'm really happy.

The ultralite frame makes a difference of only 300g so opting for the caldera is a good ting. :D

If anyone thinks I'm nuts, let me know.
Tina

PS - came across this site via konaworld

"ugez606" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bought the kona Caldera 2004 this morning ! No kidding - I'm so excited i can't sit still.

The Caldera looks like a nice bike.

Personally, I'd probably have chosen the Kona Cinder Cone. It has very similar specs and it's $200
cheaper than the Caldera.

I've owned three Kona hardtails: Cinder Cone, Caldera and Hei Hei (Ti). All were great bikes; but
the Hei Hei was too flexy. I'd still have the Caldera if it hadn't been stolen (!)

> I chose the caldera as its a few hundred (£) cheaper than the kula/explosif range. I'll prob
> upgrade by getting a new stem/handle bar but for now I'm really happy.

Kona does a good job with their OEM component choices, IMO.

> The ultralite frame makes a difference of only 300g so opting for the caldera is a good ting. :D

300g will only matter to a weight weenie.

> If anyone thinks I'm nuts, let me know. Tina

If it fits well, handles the terrain you ride, and you like it, then it's all good.

-=B=-