kona cinder cone v trek 6500 (both 2004 models)

Pete

Guest
i'd really appreciate any advice from experienced mtn bikers out there whether to buy a Kona Cinder
Cone or a Trek 6500 (upgrade from 4900 2003 model).

having looked at the info.. the Kona offers better components, the Trek has a lighter, stronger SLR
frame. price is about the same here.

i'll be using for steep mountain roads and tracks; and possible future use for attaching a trailer
or panniers to do a short w-end tour.

looking to buy v.soon and grateful for any help... thanks. Pete

pete wrote:
> i'd really appreciate any advice from experienced mtn bikers out there whether to buy a Kona
> Cinder Cone or a Trek 6500 (upgrade from 4900 2003 model).
>
> having looked at the info.. the Kona offers better components, the Trek has a lighter, stronger
> SLR frame. price is about the same here.

Stronger frame? How do you know that?

Go for the Kona.

"pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i'd really appreciate any advice from experienced mtn bikers out there whether to buy a Kona
> Cinder Cone or a Trek 6500 (upgrade from 4900 2003 model).
>
> having looked at the info.. the Kona offers better components, the Trek has a lighter, stronger
> SLR frame. price is about the same here.
>
> i'll be using for steep mountain roads and tracks; and possible future use for attaching a trailer
> or panniers to do a short w-end tour.

Buy the Kona. No question. Better geometry, better components = better bike. Can't go wrong with
Kona. One of the best brands out there.

Barry

thanks to bomba & barry for your time & advice. much appreciated. regards. pete

"pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i'd really appreciate any advice from experienced mtn bikers out there whether to buy a Kona
> Cinder Cone or a Trek 6500 (upgrade from 4900 2003 model).
>
> having looked at the info.. the Kona offers better components, the Trek has a lighter, stronger
> SLR frame. price is about the same here.
>
> i'll be using for steep mountain roads and tracks; and possible future use for attaching a trailer
> or panniers to do a short w-end tour.
>
> looking to buy v.soon and grateful for any help... thanks. Pete

For what it's worth, last year I faced the same decision and the guy at the bike shop who sold
both lines of bikes also said the Trek frame was better and that once the components wore out I
could upgrade them. I believe the 6500 is discontinued now. It is the same frame used in the 6700.
I very happy with it but I'm not a hard core rider and would have probably been happy with the
Kona as well!

~wilf