Kona Dawg Delux or Jamis Dakar XLT 2

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chas, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. Chas

    Chas Guest

    Can't decide on a Kona Dawg Delux or Jamis Dakar XLT 2. Anyone own one of these. I wish the Dawg had
    5" of travel like the Dakar, and a true Horst link. Is the bob of the Kona really that bad? On the
    other hand while the Dakar has better parts spec., for the money, I've read a lot of people
    complaining about BAD chain suck, worn bushings in the rear, (instead of all sealed bearings) and
    broken seatstays (there was a recall on the 2002 Dakars). Brings me back to Kona's bombproof
    frames... Yes, I know I need to test ride them, but I'm in Connecticut and it just snowed another 2
    ft. Besides, a short parking lot drive won't tell me enough.

    Hell maybe I'll look at a Santa Cruz Heckler too (don't really want to spend that much). Now do I
    get a Romic or 5th Element, Float or Vanilla?

    I should just end it all and buy a huffy

    Chas

    Tags:

  2. justwright03

    justwright03 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2003
    Did you ever decide? I'm currently weighing the Dakar XLT against the Kona Dawg myself. I'd be very interested in hearing how the search turned out.

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "justwright03" <[email protected]om> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did you ever decide? I'm currently weighing the Dakar XLT against the Kona Dawg myself. I'd be
    > very interested in hearing how the search turned out.

    I think the Kona bikes are better built. They just look stronger--tubing,welds, attention to detail,
    everything.

    Pat in TX