Kona Dawg or Stinky ?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Favre, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Favre

    Favre Guest

    Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight of
    Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?

    Bye.

    Tags:

  2. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    I own a 2001 Stinky and I use it as a trail bike. Since then, with the addition of the Dawg line,
    the Stinky has gained an inch of travel and is definitely more suited for more free ride oriented
    riding while the Dawg is meant to be more of the all around trail bike in the Kona lineup.

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The weight of Stinky scared me.

    This would make a great opening line in a "bad novel" contest.

    Bill "just lose her phone number then" S.

  4. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    "Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight of
    > Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?
    >
    > Bye.

    I've got a King Kikapu, great light XC bike (#25)

    Penny S

  5. Surgius

    Surgius Guest

    "Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight of
    > Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?
    >
    > Bye.

    If your planning on doing DH, then the Stinky will serve you much better than the Bear (The name
    changed to that from Dawg in the US). Don't worry about the weight, you will get used to that
    quickly. I went from a sub 25# hardtail to my giant AC2, which is abut 10# heavier. It was very
    wierd at first, but I quickly got used to it.

    The Stinky however is not an XC machine, I consider it more of a trailbike more than anything. You
    also have to choose between an air or coil-over shock. The coil is going to be alot more plush if
    your a heavier rider and better if your riding DH.

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  7. Surgius

    Surgius Guest

    "Surgius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight
    > > of Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?
    > >
    > > Bye.
    >
    > If your planning on doing DH, then the Stinky will serve you much better than the Bear (The name
    > changed to that from Dawg in the US). Don't worry about the weight, you will get used to that
    > quickly. I went from a sub 25# hardtail to my giant AC2, which is abut 10# heavier. It was very
    > wierd at first, but I quickly got used to it.
    >
    > The Stinky however is not an XC machine, I consider it more of a trailbike more than anything. You
    > also have to choose between an air or coil-over shock. The coil is going to be alot more plush if
    > your a heavier rider
    and
    > better if your riding DH.

    One more thing, the Giant AC2 is a very similiar bike and has a much better spec at the smae
    price point.

  8. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >(The name changed to that from Dawg in the US).

    Actually, it's the other way around. The new line was introduced as the Bear last year and has been
    renamed the Dawg this year.

  9. scottieski

    scottieski Guest

    >The Stinky however is not an XC machine, I consider it more of a trailbike more than anything.

    Up to 2001 I would consider the Stinky as a trailbike, but after the introduction of the Bear line
    (now called the Dawg) the Stinky's geometry became much steeper in all areas, and even the base
    Stinky for 2003 comes with a Marzocchi Dirt Jump fork, setting the Dawg and Stinky alot further
    apart as far as trailbike vs. Freeride/DH use.

  10. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    I bought an '03 Kona Stinky a few weeks back. I upgraded from a DS/1 Giant. The giant had 4" front and rear, the Stinky has 5" front and 6" rear.
    I bought it for free riding hence I call it a free ride bike.:D
    The weight difference wasn't huge but noticeable but as someone else mentioned - you get used to it.
    I'd get a Stinky over a Giant AC definitely. Having ridden both ans having seen heaps of broken ACs - I'll stick to the Robbie Bourdon brand.

    roKeMS

    www.mountinabikepark.com

  11. Jd

    Jd Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]@mysite.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I bought an '03 Kona Stinky a few weeks back. I upgraded from a DS/1 Giant. The giant had 4" front
    > and rear, the Stinky has 5" front and 6" rear. I bought it for free riding hence I call it a free
    > ride bike.:D The weight difference wasn't huge but noticeable but as someone else mentioned - you
    > get used to it. I'd get a Stinky over a Giant AC definitely. Having ridden both ans having seen
    > heaps of broken ACs - I'll stick to the Robbie Bourdon brand.

    Going from a crappy URT to a crappy kona does not an expert make.

    JD

  12. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    uh-huh....yeah:rolleyes:

  13. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > roKeMS <[email protected]@mysite.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I bought an '03 Kona Stinky a few weeks back. I upgraded from a DS/1 Giant. The giant had 4"
    > > front and rear, the Stinky has 5" front and 6" rear. I bought it for free riding hence I call it
    > > a free ride bike.:D The weight difference wasn't huge but noticeable but as someone else
    > > mentioned - you get used to it. I'd get a Stinky over a Giant AC definitely. Having ridden both
    > > ans having seen heaps of broken ACs - I'll stick to the Robbie Bourdon brand.
    >
    > Going from a crappy URT to a crappy kona does not an expert make.

    URT? Not.