Kona Dawg or Stinky ?

Favre

Guest
Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight of
Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?

Bye.

I own a 2001 Stinky and I use it as a trail bike. Since then, with the addition of the Dawg line,
the Stinky has gained an inch of travel and is definitely more suited for more free ride oriented
riding while the Dawg is meant to be more of the all around trail bike in the Kona lineup.

"Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight of
> Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?
>
> Bye.

I've got a King Kikapu, great light XC bike (#25)

Penny S

"Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight of
> Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?
>
> Bye.

If your planning on doing DH, then the Stinky will serve you much better than the Bear (The name
changed to that from Dawg in the US). Don't worry about the weight, you will get used to that
quickly. I went from a sub 25# hardtail to my giant AC2, which is abut 10# heavier. It was very
wierd at first, but I quickly got used to it.

The Stinky however is not an XC machine, I consider it more of a trailbike more than anything. You
also have to choose between an air or coil-over shock. The coil is going to be alot more plush if
your a heavier rider and better if your riding DH.

"Surgius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:czKK9.57630$hw3.8121@sccrnsc04...

> "Favre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi everybody. I write from Italy. I was thinking to buy a new Full suspension Kona. The weight
> > of Stinky scared me... I will do some XC trail, not only downhill... Any experiences ?
> >
> > Bye.
>
> If your planning on doing DH, then the Stinky will serve you much better than the Bear (The name
> changed to that from Dawg in the US). Don't worry about the weight, you will get used to that
> quickly. I went from a sub 25# hardtail to my giant AC2, which is abut 10# heavier. It was very
> wierd at first, but I quickly got used to it.
>
> The Stinky however is not an XC machine, I consider it more of a trailbike more than anything. You
> also have to choose between an air or coil-over shock. The coil is going to be alot more plush if
> your a heavier rider
and
> better if your riding DH.

One more thing, the Giant AC2 is a very similiar bike and has a much better spec at the smae
price point.

>(The name changed to that from Dawg in the US).

Actually, it's the other way around. The new line was introduced as the Bear last year and has been
renamed the Dawg this year.

>The Stinky however is not an XC machine, I consider it more of a trailbike more than anything.

Up to 2001 I would consider the Stinky as a trailbike, but after the introduction of the Bear line
(now called the Dawg) the Stinky's geometry became much steeper in all areas, and even the base
Stinky for 2003 comes with a Marzocchi Dirt Jump fork, setting the Dawg and Stinky alot further
apart as far as trailbike vs. Freeride/DH use.

I bought an '03 Kona Stinky a few weeks back. I upgraded from a DS/1 Giant. The giant had 4" front and rear, the Stinky has 5" front and 6" rear.
I bought it for free riding hence I call it a free ride bike.:D
The weight difference wasn't huge but noticeable but as someone else mentioned - you get used to it.
I'd get a Stinky over a Giant AC definitely. Having ridden both ans having seen heaps of broken ACs - I'll stick to the Robbie Bourdon brand.

roKeMS

www.mountinabikepark.com

roKeMS <[email protected]@mysite.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I bought an '03 Kona Stinky a few weeks back. I upgraded from a DS/1 Giant. The giant had 4" front
> and rear, the Stinky has 5" front and 6" rear. I bought it for free riding hence I call it a free
> ride bike.:D The weight difference wasn't huge but noticeable but as someone else mentioned - you
> get used to it. I'd get a Stinky over a Giant AC definitely. Having ridden both ans having seen
> heaps of broken ACs - I'll stick to the Robbie Bourdon brand.

Going from a crappy URT to a crappy kona does not an expert make.

JD

> roKeMS <[email protected]@mysite.com> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I bought an '03 Kona Stinky a few weeks back. I upgraded from a DS/1 Giant. The giant had 4"
> > front and rear, the Stinky has 5" front and 6" rear. I bought it for free riding hence I call it
> > a free ride bike.:D The weight difference wasn't huge but noticeable but as someone else
> > mentioned - you get used to it. I'd get a Stinky over a Giant AC definitely. Having ridden both
> > ans having seen heaps of broken ACs - I'll stick to the Robbie Bourdon brand.
>
> Going from a crappy URT to a crappy kona does not an expert make.

URT? Not.