Kona Dawg, or Trek Liquid?

Anonymous

Guest
I am in the market for a new mountain bike. I have narrowed down my choices to either the Kona Dawg
deelux, or the Trek Fluid 25.

http://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/2k4_dawg_dlx.cfm
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/mountain/liquid25.jsp

I am 6'2 and weight 200lbs, so I want an all mountian frame rather than a lighterweight XC. I will
not be racing. I will not be taking the bike of huge drops. I will be riding corss country trails as
well as pavement.

On the sirface these bikes appear similar, similar suspension systems, travel and so on, however I
am wondering what set the two apart. Appearances can be deceiving.

Any advice appretiated, though I would prefer if personal feelings could be kept to a minimum and
the focus be on actual techincal differecnes, and why those techincal differences should or should
not make a difference to me. I would also be extremely happy if no one tells me to forget both of
these bikes and get a hardtail....

Second question, if this info from Specialized valid, or is it marketing BS?
http://www.specialized.com/sbc4BarLinkCompare.jsp?compare=otherlinkage

>I am in the market for a new mountain bike. I have narrowed down my choices to either the Kona Dawg
>deelux, or the Trek Fluid 25.
>
>http://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/2k4_dawg_dlx.cfm
>http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/mountain/liquid25.jsp
>
>I am 6'2 and weight 200lbs, so I want an all mountian frame rather than a lighterweight XC. I will
>not be racing. I will not be taking the bike of huge drops. I will be riding corss country trails
>as well as pavement.

If you're not going to be doing any agressive riding, you don't need anything more than a Trek Fuel.
Sure, it's a XC racing bike, but is lighter and easier pedaling than the Liquid. I have a Liquid, I
love it, but for "regular" XC rides, my buddies Fuel is superior. Of course, he doesn't take his
Fuel to the local DH course like I do my Liquid...

The Fuel is a very capable all-mountain bike, if you are not going to be doing any jumps or drops.
Not sure if Trek has a weight limit on it, tho. My buddy has the carbon Fuel and he weighs 200. No
problems. Kona has an XC bike too..I think it's called the Kikapu? Not sure.

carbon fuel's a noodle. i weigh 210, and i thought it was one of the most outrageously flexible
mountain frames i've ever ridden.

Jimmy Boffo wrote:

> Any advice appretiated, though I would prefer if personal feelings could be kept to a minimum and
> the focus be on actual techincal differecnes, and why those techincal differences should or should
> not make a difference to me. I would also be extremely happy if no one tells me to forget both of
> these bikes and get a hardtail....

Well you've ruled me out. I'm sorry, I can't reply.
--
Perre