Kona Dew Delux V's Giant CRX2

Forlorn

Sep 8, 2006
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm stuck I want to get a commuting bike, I will need to do about 40km round trip. I am currently looking at the Kona Dew Delux and the Giant CRX2. They both seem like great bikes but obviosly the rear clusters are very different. Can someone give me some advise about which is a better bike. Assume I know little about bikes.:eek:

The Kona has 24 speeds to the Giant's 18. Now there is a lot of overlap in gear ranges, but the Kona gives you lower gears. So if you are going to climb hills or anticipate climbing hills, the Kona is a better choice. The Giant has a higher top end gear, so on the flats it'll be quicker. The Kona runs discs and the Giant linear pull brakes. The only difference is better adverse condition braking performance from the Kona. The Giant has a composite fork compared to the Kona's aluminum or cro-mo (no spec), which will give a slightly more supple ride (unless the fork on the Kona is cro-mo, then it is just weight savings.) Either one is a good bike. My advice is to ride both and see which you like better! Good luck!

Either one is a good bike. My advice is to ride both and see which you like better! Good luck![/QUOTE]
Thanks mate. As far as gear ratios go, is there much difference between the "higher gears". I don't really know the specifics of the gearing. I suppose what you are saying is the Giant is more road than the Kona?

The Giant is running a 50x12 for its high gear and the Kona a 48x11. So yes the Giant is more road than the Kona, but not by much. Basically, the numbers mean that the rear wheel will turn more revolutions for each revolution of the crank than the Kona. Hence, the high gear is higher on the Giant enabling higher top speed (with all things being equal). The main thing is that the Kona has a "granny" gear, the third chainring. Its lowest gear is a 28x34. This will give you a low gear for hill climbing, versus the 34x25 for the Giant. At the bottom of this page, it will explain gearing. Good luck to you!

The Kona Dew has cheap entry level 8 speed MTB components and really slow tyres. If you are a Kona fan, look at the PHD!

The Giant CRX2 has 2x9 speed compact road components. Consider the CRX3 for a first bike, 3x8 road gearing, and if you see one, the Felt SR101, 91, 81 are well worth a look.

Talk to me later about tyre upgrading for which bike you choose.

The PHD is out of my price range however it is interesting you suggest going for the cheaper Giant. I have ridden both and the Giant seems more 'twitchy' than the Kona. Is this a road bike trait? And is this a good thing in a road bike?

Another quick question guys. If i was to go for the Gaint and then think about doing some off road stuff, how expensive/feasible would it be to by a new set of wheels for the bike that could handle off road? I suppose what I am asking is will the frame of the Gaint stand up to moderate off road if fitted with off road tyres and wheels?

The CRX3 will take wider tyres and wheels than the CRX2 and a second set of wheels with a 8 speed wide range (11-30) cassette is cheaper than a 9 speed. Some 700cx35mm tyres will be easy to find and pick a wheel with a 22-25mm (outside width) "hybrid or touring" rim.

For cheap chinese wheels look in the BiCorp (or similar)catalogue or Velocity make some Dyad ones in Qld.
http://www.velocitywheels.com/default.asp?contentID=528

Thanks gclark. I think that is the way to go. Seems to me you don't like the CRX2 much.

Forlorn said:
Thanks gclark. I think that is the way to go. Seems to me you don't like the CRX2 much.
It is Ok, just too many "high end" bikes now in the CRX range, CRX 2, 1, 0, one of them could have remained a 3x9 speed. :rolleyes:

Good call. I was thinking about the idea of making the bike do two different jobs by changing the wheels. i.e. fatter more robust wheels for off road and thin jobies for the ride to work. 20 k's. The frame should be up for either job shouldn't it?

Arran